Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Sweep tomorrow what to expect?

(16 Posts)
LimeLeafLizard Tue 15-Jan-13 18:29:06

Congratulations, wonderful news! Impressive weight indeed, well done you.

Missingthemincepies Tue 15-Jan-13 13:20:44

Congratulations! Glad it all turned out ok despite a scary moment.

FurryFox Tue 15-Jan-13 10:45:24

Wow, sounds a bit scary but glad all ok and huge congratulations to you.

Quick update! Baby Archie was born at 6.02 this morning weighing an impressive 9lb 14oz!
Turns out the bleeding I had after my sweep was not normal. Ended up being taken to hospital by ambulance at 10pm last night and had to be induced.
We are both doing fine now smile

ImKateandsoismywife Mon 14-Jan-13 17:12:45

I was the same after my second sweep, went into labour about 7 hours later grin

Missingthemincepies Mon 14-Jan-13 16:01:11

Sounds about the same as my second sweep. Do phone the midwife if it carries on or you're worried.
Good luck

The midwife managed to do a sweep on me, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be actually. Yes it was uncomfortable but it was bearable and if it gets this baby moving then defiantly worth it!

How much bleeding is normal after a sweep? When the midwife removed her fingers they were all bloody and she said it was a show. Since she left half an hour ago I've had 3 panty liners full of blood. Is this normal do you think?

Thanks for all your replies, it has made me feel slightly less worried about it! Midwife coming at 2pm today, lets just hope it gets things going! smile

ConfusedKiwi Mon 14-Jan-13 07:44:32

I had one at 40+1 - in bedroom (told to put towel down in case of waters/mucus). Smear position with hands under bottom.

I would say it was less uncomfortable than a smear - however mw said my cervix was very soft/stretchy (at 2 and could be stretched to 4). No immediate effect although a bit of mucus for next couple of days - gave birth at 41 weeks.

hackneybird Sun 13-Jan-13 22:21:26

What dirty says. I had one with my DS, and I was not expecting it to be so invasive at all, I was so naive!

However, as you have already had a baby you'll be really familiar with cervical examinations so you'll be ok.

It didn't put me into labour but it definitely helped things move around a bit.

AgathaTrunchbull Sun 13-Jan-13 21:56:43

Having never had a hands-on medical procedure before, it was a bit of a shock to the system! My midwife was quite thorough, but it hasn't produced any directly attributable results yet. It only took a couple of minutes, if that. Had to put my hands underneath my pelvis. Breathing out helped!

Dirtymistress Sun 13-Jan-13 20:25:55

Mine was quite shockingly uncomfortable but not painful. My body wanted to jump off the bed and my mouth was fixed into 'ooo' shape for about ten minutes afterwards. Worked a treat though, went into labour 12 hours later. Am expecting my second in March and will be begging the same midwife to do the same again if I go over!

LimeLeafLizard Sun 13-Jan-13 20:18:54

My tip - if you feel up to it later on in the day, having sex after a sweep can help things along. I appreciate that it might be the last thing you feel like doing, but I certainly got to a point that anything that might encourage the baby out without being induced was a good thing.

I agree with mincepies that the MW does need to be quite firm to actually make a difference. Hope it goes well... it isn't pleasant but it is so worth it if the baby then comes.

Missingthemincepies Sun 13-Jan-13 20:14:08

Honestly, it's not comfortable, in fact it's on the painful side. But it takes less than a minute and doesn't even compare to labour, so i'm sure you'll be fine. You want the midwife to be quite firm to get a good sweep.
Make sure you have a pad in your knickers for after as a bit of bleeding is normal.
Hope it kick starts things for you.

Shybairns Sun 13-Jan-13 19:36:57

She'll ask you to asume the smear test position. Sofa or bed depending on room. And to put a towel under your bottom.
She will insert two fingers and see what condition your cervix is in. If it is far enough forward and open more than a centimetre she will try to get her fingers in there and stretch it and if possible sweep around the membranes.

If things are really ready to go and she is rough enough (they can be) she may even accidentally break your waters.

No way to know how it'll go till she has a feel up there.

Hope it does some good.

Midwife is coming to my house tomorrow to give me a sweep (ill b 40+8). Never had one before so what should I expect?

This is baby number 2. 1st baby came no problems at all at 37+5 so not sure why I've gone overdue with this one!

Is it going to be painful? What are the chances of it working? I've had no signs of labour starting at all so far.

Also will the midwife just do it in my living room or will we have to go to the bedroom or bathroom? Sorry I've got no clue what to expect at all! Any past experiences would be helpful! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now