Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

What has been your biggest complaint during pregnancy?

(79 Posts)
Nat37 Sat 12-Jan-13 14:37:20

Hi all! smile

Been thinking about this a lot lately. We've all experienced some niggling problem whilst being pregnant, but what would you say you have suffered the most with? Heartburn, insomnia, swollen ankles etc?

For me, it's been all of the above and more..angry

So, come on girls, the floor's yours! wink

redwellybluewelly Sat 12-Jan-13 20:44:07

First time. No issues.

This time. The pain of uterus stretching, walking more than a mile requires an immediate nap afterwards, my pelvic floor has vanished, the sheer utter exhaustion and the fact I've another 22weeks to go.

ecuse Sat 12-Jan-13 20:50:22

Carpal tunnel for me. Hands were numb and painful basically all the time and fingers locked rigid in a fist every morning (I had to force them to 'click' straight with the other hand when I woke <shudder>).

It improved after I gave birth but didn't go away. 20 months on I'm still having 4-monthly cortisone injections sad

noblegiraffe Sat 12-Jan-13 20:51:46

First pregnancy = insane hormones and crying all the time, and pelvic pain meaning I could barely walk in the last trimester
This pregnancy = heartburn. I didn't get it at all last time, it's foul. But my hormones have been fine, no crying!

rugbychick Sat 12-Jan-13 20:55:35

SPD and the extreme tiredness

supergreenuk Sat 12-Jan-13 21:07:12

Plannedshock have you told your midwife about the itching. Isn't that something that needs treating and close monitoring

Nicola80 Sat 12-Jan-13 21:11:29

Heartburn, tiredness and being the size of a barn door at the end. Got sick of feeling like a 90 year old when walking up the stairs. Didn't go anywhere without my gaviscon I practically needed it on a drip haha. But it was all worth it in the end though.

bruffin Sat 12-Jan-13 21:17:17

Being stuck in hospital for nearly 2months

Springforward Sat 12-Jan-13 22:21:54

Knackered, sick, monster heartburn and having to go searching for the wrist splints from my first pregnancy at 3am today as bloody CTS has already started. Oh well, 20 weeks to go AND I NEVER HAVE TO BE PREGNANT AGAIN. Thank god.

Startail Sat 12-Jan-13 22:35:54

Heart burn with both of them for nine sodding months.
Then on and off for years after DD2.

Finally had some antacids because I was knocking back ibuprofen for something else and they make me feel sick.

Heart burn went away and stayed away even though I only took them for a couple of weeks.

Had I known I'd have saved myself two years of annoyance.

Damash12 Sun 13-Jan-13 09:07:31

I should probably do a name change on this as TMI. I could also answer with 1 word PREGNANCY....the end. Seriously though, I thought it was just me having a tough time so this thread as made me feel a little better and glad I'm not the only one.
From the start nausea/ sickness & constipation. Swiftly followed by anxiety and tears. At around 24 weeks SPD, insomnia and acid reflux this sits at the back of my throat and travels up to my right ear so swallowing is really painful and everything tastes vile. Now at 37 weeks I have carpal tunnel, both hands go numb if slightly raised, swollen feet, SPD, anxiety/tears over everything, acid reflux and the very very worst thing I have ever experienced in my life!!!! Thrombosised/ 4th degree piles!!! I have been unable to sit, walk, stand, sleep for pain. Apparently they would normally operate within 72 hours of this happening but because pregnant I have the option of........paracetamol!!!! Well, that helps err NOT. Do not get constipated.... On the plus side this pain as made th agree to bring csection forward to this Thursday!!! Aargh so now I'll just be content with impending fear!! Surely, what's to come can't be any worse than what as just passed!! Good luck everyone :-)

iamwhaticallpregnant Sun 13-Jan-13 09:42:41

Heart burn and acid in my throat.

stowsettler Sun 13-Jan-13 09:43:00

I've had a really easy pregnancy so far (now 35+4) but I've suffered a bit from heartburn and sore hips. However I don't enjoy the whole experience of being pregnant: loss of control of my body, getting clumsy, tiredness, unpredictable appetite and cravings (they seem to change weekly).

However by far and away the worst thing I've had to deal with is an almost total lack of bladder. I have dogs, and am still trying to give them a decent walk each day, and mainly failing because I can't walk more than 20 mins without being desperate for a pee. I've even sneaked into the bushes a couple of times. It's horrible: I wake up, pee, go downstairs and have a drink. Then upstairs, pee, get dressed, need another pee then out with dogs. After about 10 mins I need another pee!! I want my bladder back!!

IJustWoreMyTrenchcoat Sun 13-Jan-13 10:04:35

I am so breathless even early on, and dreading what I will be like later on. I feel like I can't catch my breath, if I am lying down I have to sit up and really try to breathe in deeply enough. Sometimes a yawn helps, but only sometimes. Oh and to add insult to injury if I try to force myself to yawn I end up retching. Nice!

I had total exhaustion Very early on too, didn't know what had hit me. I had time booked off work which was a godsend, I could not get out of bed.

Twattybollocks Sun 13-Jan-13 12:20:06

Nausea/vomiting/lack of appetite. Closely followed by varicose veins, which whilst thankfully not painful, look hideous and are all over my legs. I'm just hoping they go away once the baby arrives or it's surgery!

somewherebecomingrain Sun 13-Jan-13 15:15:59

I'm with DAMASH. Pregnancy full stop. Apart from MS, physically it's been quite good - I've forced myself to swim and am actually bounding up the stairs at 28 weeks and also I'm not working much - only from home- which really helps. But I hate it anyway and I'd say the worst thing is the hormones.. I think I'm one of those women who can't handle progesterone - its like a 9 months of the worst pmt ever building and building and building to an unbearable crescendo.. My DP calls me Fecundstein.

Hugs to all fellow travellers/sufferers xxx

talulahbeige Sun 13-Jan-13 15:35:44

Constant nausea from week 6 and still ongoing, im currently 30, its been so bad I've only managed to work for 6 weeks since July. Also pelvic pain, walking is a nightmare.

aaaaagh Sun 13-Jan-13 16:16:42

children

Longfufu Sun 13-Jan-13 16:32:41

Everything....I hate being pregnant.

MrsHBaby3 Sun 13-Jan-13 17:30:26

ooh for the first half definitely the n+v, the second half the spd

bealos Sun 13-Jan-13 17:36:28

Low level nausea til 34 weeks. I didn't realise how miserable it was making me til it stopped.

And rib pain. Squashed ribs at the top right hand side. At 39 weeks this still hasn't gone away. Soon though I'm hoping!!

MyFriendGoo Sun 13-Jan-13 18:18:12

Extreme tiredness leading to nothing getting done ever, leading to frustrated tears, leading back to extreme tiredness and the cycle starts all over again. And carpal tunnel - I can't turn off taps properly anymore.

I don't know how people do this when they already have children. You are superwomen.

thestylethatdecadesforgot Sun 13-Jan-13 19:13:33

I don't feel quite so sorry for myself after reading some of these, but, here's mine:

Vomiting up to 10x a day with both pregnancies up to 7th month and nausea when not actually vomiting.

SPD for the entire duration of both pregnancies. Still getting tweaks 6m later with second.

Exhaustion for initial month like nothing I'd ever experienced, followed by a slight improvement, then needing a nap for a couple of hours every afternoon with my second pregnancy. Only possible cz my amazing DH works from home and when DD1 got up from her nap didn't mind her pottering around in the background while I tried to get up.

Insomnia from about 6m to the end of both pregnancies.

Going into premature labour with DD2 at 31 weeks and being in hospital on a drip for 3 days to stop it.

I. Hate. Being. Pregnant.

Would I have another? Yes. grin

flowerygirl Sun 13-Jan-13 19:26:18

Going for a short walk to the shop and feeling like I've run a marathon and constant thrush!

MotherOfFeralChild Sun 13-Jan-13 19:52:50

My worst pregnancy niggle - the father.

Giggle78 Sun 13-Jan-13 19:57:25

I got pregnant and immediately my boobs went up by four bra sizes in the first month!! They are soooooooooooo heavy.

Constant tiredness.

21 weeks to go. I am so happy to be having another baby but I am planning for this to be my last pregnancy and I am glad. I do want my body back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now