Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Not feeling baby move - advice

(21 Posts)
Mrsytobe Sat 12-Jan-13 09:49:35

Hi all,

Im 24+6 and looking for some advice

From about 22 weeks ive been feeling baby move daily usually after tea time. At 24 weeks the kick was strong enough for daddy to feel :-) however since then i have felt no movement :-( im now on day 6 and its really getting my anxious and worried.

Im have seen my midwife at 24+3 who found the heartbeat straight away but told me if no movement that night to phone the maternity ward. Again no movement and i was seen at the ward at 24+4, they used the doppler and again found the heartbeat quickly and assured me that baby was happy.

Despite the reassurance of hearing heartbeat helped it only lasts a day and im worrying again. We have a private scan booked for 2 weeks time but this seems like at eternity to wait

Thank you for taking the time to read

If you are worried keep going to get checked its always better than sitting worrying. Do you know where your placenta is? Its possible baby has moved behind it iyswim whick is why you can't feel the kicks anymore. But please get checked if you are worried.

Bearandcub Sat 12-Jan-13 09:53:02

So go to your ante-natal unit and get it checked.

JustFabulous Sat 12-Jan-13 09:53:55

You need to get yourself checked.

ANY change in baby's movements needs looking in to whether baby is moving less or more.

If you are worried and can't get baby to move yourself then of course you must go to be checked. Don't be worrying about bothering them or over reacting. This is your baby, not theirs.

You could try having a cold drink or some ice cream as sometimes that is enough to get baby kicking again.

Good luck.

Yika Sat 12-Jan-13 09:54:30

Get it checked again, follow your instincts.

OnlyWantsOne Sat 12-Jan-13 09:55:30

Please go and get checked smile

SavoyCabbage Sat 12-Jan-13 09:55:51

Can you go and see your midwife? I would do something rather than nothing if you see what I mean. You will feel better.

TheTiger Sat 12-Jan-13 09:56:53

Get checked again. Straight away. That's what the antenatal unit is there for!

Try lying on your left side and having a very cold drink, that usually worked for me. But please, call your antenatal unit and go and get checked out.

DeathMetalMum Sat 12-Jan-13 11:49:17

Get it checked again. I went in a couple of weeks ago for this and my hospital saidas it is my first time of no movement they would just track the heartbeat. If I were to go in again they would look into other things. Please go in again.

floatyjosmum Sat 12-Jan-13 11:58:05

im 26 weeks and ive had reduced movements for a few days - still there but just not as many or as forceful.

spoke to the midwife who told me to go in, was monitored for about 15 mins and picked up heartbeat but couldnt keep the trace on it so had a scan.

everything was fine but it turns out she likes laying against my back low down, on the scan she didnt stop moving and couldnt feel a thing! they said to still go back if it reduced again as its worth checking out so give them a call and see what they say!

MimiCooper Sat 12-Jan-13 12:16:39

Movements before 28 weeks can be hit and miss depending on foetal position. If you're worried a midwife can listen in for you but no monitoring will not be done as its too difficult to get a reassuring trace at this gestation. It's very unlikely they will scan you either. If I were you I'd try to relax and not worry too much. After 28 weeks get to know your baby's movement pattern and be guided by that. No 2 babies move the same, so don't listen to others who's baby may move differently and worry yours is not doing the same. The use of cold drinks etc is an old wives tale and has no scientific background. If in doubt speak to a midwife about the babies movement pattern and be guided by her/him.

JustFabulous Sat 12-Jan-13 17:20:05

"If I were you I'd try to relax and not worry too much."

OP, you must do what you feel is best as this is not MimiCooper's baby. Doctors will say there is no link with teething and a baby having nappy rash but there is an awful lot of mums who say different so I would suggest that you do try the cold drinks/ice cream as enough mums report a baby reacting to it for it to be worth a try.

Paradisefound Sat 12-Jan-13 18:37:31

I am 26+ 5 weeks, some days I can feel the baby a lot, sometimes I go a day or two without feeling anything. I have an anterior placenta which I guess explains it. Lack of feeling movement is not always a problem at this stage. If you are worried speak to your midwife.. It's her job to keep an eye on things, so don't feel you are being a nuisance.

Springforward Sat 12-Jan-13 22:06:01

If you are worried, speak to your local MW unit tonight, they won't mind.

TheCyclist Sat 12-Jan-13 22:46:25

We must have visited our ante-natal unit about 5 times when my wife was carrying DS, at all times of day and night, when DW felt he wasn't moving as he should. The first time was about 24 weeks, I think. All was fine, thankfully - but the midwives couldn't emphasise enough that they'd rather a mother went in than sit at home worrying, and they didn't care how many times. Their advice was always: 'Concerned? Don't wait, come in right now.' Certainly it was NEVER 'relax and not worry too much'. Sheesh.

Old wives tale? No idea, but the first thing the midwives did was give DW an ice-cold drink.

steppemum Netherlands Sat 12-Jan-13 22:58:03

you do need to get it checked, your midwfe shouldn't mind the constant checks, as one of the things they always tell you to check the baby is moving regularly.

but just to reasure you, dd1 hardly moved at all, ds and dd2 were very active, but with dd1 I could rarely feel her move and she was healthy and happy. One scan showed her dancing away which I couldn't feel at all

iwearglasses Sat 12-Jan-13 23:01:23

Jesus get checked

OP - I didn't feel DS2 kick until almost 28 weeks and had a snotfest teary meltdown about it to my midwife, she immediately took me for a scan and showed my placenta was right under my belly button and DS was behind it lying back to back, so I couldn't feel a thing. Defo give your midwife a call xx

Mrsytobe Sun 13-Jan-13 11:48:30

Thanks for all your replies

Just home after being checked again, was given a scan and the little one was wriggling around-helped to put my mind at rest but i do feel like such a worrier

JustFabulous Sun 13-Jan-13 18:05:43

The point is if your baby does X and suddenly starts doing Y then get checked.

Worrying is part of your job description now you are a mum smile.

shelley72 Sun 13-Jan-13 19:10:35

Glad you got it checked out and all is ok. Never worry about bothering the MW, that is what they are there for. I lost count of the times i ended up in assessment unit with DS as he was a lazy bugger and frequently stopped moving. he never sits still now!
Always get it checked out, your baby is too precious to leave things to chance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now