Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Bargain baby thread

(108 Posts)

Following on from the brilliant Christmas bargain threads, is there anything similar for baby stuff? I was thinking somewhere we could share info on where we have had a special deal or bargain that may help others. Maybe a certain shop with nappies on offer, a sale on high chairs etc. Is there a need?

Sainsburys have 1/3 off loads of baby and pregnancy toiletries from nappies, to breast pads, cotton wool, calpol etc. not sure when it ends.

ButteryJam Sun 10-Mar-13 19:37:19

Johnson's Nursing Pads are down to £1.50 in Asda: http://direct.asda.com/Johnson's-Baby-Nursing-Pads---30-Contour-Pads/002634977,default,pd.html

Mothercare have special offers on nursery furniture bundles. Also 20% off when use code XRJV

jimblejambles Thu 07-Mar-13 10:54:20

Superdrug are selling Johnson baby wipes for 88p a packet. smile

KelleStar Wed 06-Mar-13 17:11:52

Yup, only a few packets left. Last time used it both ways, warmed in hot water and cooled in fridge. Was heaven. DD thought they'd make good teething rings... So they sprung a leak. smile

ButteryJam Wed 06-Mar-13 16:51:17

KelleStar, didn't see the breast pads, but are they ones that you put in the fridge too?

KelleStar Wed 06-Mar-13 13:32:20

I bought the femme pads and breast pads in MC this morning £4.49 each in our branch!

The breast pads were really good last time when I had done real discomfort with a blocked duct.

ButteryJam Tue 05-Mar-13 20:24:36

Picked up Feme Pads from mothercare, down from £19.99 to £5.99 and guaze covers for £2.69 (from £8.99) smile

ButteryJam Mon 04-Mar-13 18:40:14

Fluffeh, Thanks! I need to go to Tesco ...

I've been looking on ebay and gumtree for changing tables but they are all locally going at at least £20/£30, and I could just get a new one from IKEA for that price!

KatAndKit Mon 04-Mar-13 17:54:17

When your baby gets a bit older, jumperoos are great to get off ebay. They are £££ new but about half the price or less on ebay and they keep their value well so you ought to get back more or less what you pay for it when you are done with it 6 months later.

KelleStar Mon 04-Mar-13 17:46:34

I picked my change table up second hand off eBay. It's the ikea collapsible one, normally about £50 and was 99p on local collection. It is easy to flatten and shove out the way when guests arrive. I kept hold of it from DD, as it was really handy for the first few months. Generally changed her on my lap and still do now. DC2 will be treated no differently. So like katandkit recommend checking eBay for some of the bigger items, you can save searches especially local. I've saved tons this way. DD's cot is a hand-me-down, 15 years old but a brand new mattress was purchased, funnily it's still available in store.

I am an Aldi nappy fan, it took a while of trying others, but because the aldi is quite a trek i'd never really tried them before. Then a MN product test converted me. the wipes too. They are cheap anyway, but I have stashed up for DD's nappies and a few for DC2. I have the space so it isn't the end of the world for me.

KatAndKit Mon 04-Mar-13 17:06:20

buttery in general it is not worth buying a changing unit at all. I got one because I liked it but at 10 months it is no longer safe to put DS on it any more. To save your back in the beginning you could just put a changing mat on top of a chest of drawers. My changing unit is getting turned into a toy shelf unit now it is no use for changing any more.

Fluffeh England Mon 04-Mar-13 15:58:20

Just been to Tesco and most of their vests and sleep suit Multi packs are reduced. Picked up 5 pink vests for £3, 3 pink sleep suits for £4 and a pack of unisex vests for £3 too!

FirstTimeForEverything Mon 04-Mar-13 15:17:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Buttery I bought my cot in Feb when they had the 15% off on nursery furniture so was gutted to see its now 20%. They have been fab though and refunded me the extra 5% as only just received it and still within 28 days so I could have returned it if I wanted to smile

ButteryJam Mon 04-Mar-13 12:21:18

KatAndKit, thanks, some good advice there smile

ButteryJam Mon 04-Mar-13 12:20:33

Mothercare have got 20% off when you spend £100 or more. Don't forget cash back too.

I managed to get a white cot and mattress for less than £90 - really pleased! smile

Now wondering whether its worth buying a changing unit for £50?

KatAndKit Mon 04-Mar-13 09:05:59

just buy less stuff if you want to save money. Honestly, a lot of these "events" just want to sell you more stuff you don't really need. I would not stockpile nappies if you are still pregnant. Different brands seem to fit different babies better than others so wait and see what you get on best with. I got on best with Huggies at the very beginning but now am using Tescos. Nappies are very very often on a bulk buy offer so there is no need to stockpile now. Same with wipes. These offers are pretty much always on in one supermarket or the other. Aldi nappies and wipes are good as others have mentioned.
TKMaxx is good for grobags but still not as cheap as supermarket sleeping bags. I got a nice grobag from IKEA in fact. IKEA have quite a few nice baby things. The Antilop highchair plus tray is only £16 and is brilliant. You can pick up a change table there for £25 if you want one.
Supermarket baby clothes are usually very good value for money. If you want to avoid pointless spending just dress your baby in vest plus sleepsuit all the time for the first six months. It's much more comfy for them and you will get given loads of outfits anyway which you can use for dressing them up to go and visit granny. Sleepsuits are on sale in all the supermarkets in multipacks.
Don't stockpile breastpads. I have a massive stash but I only needed them for the first month and then the random leaking calmed down. Obviously I can keep them in case there is a next time, but I'd say don't buy hundreds. Do get good ones though (lansinoh) as the supermarket own brands are useless. On the other hand you will get through plenty of maternity pads and you can always use them as sanitary towels for night if you end up with some leftover. The cheapo ones are fine, they do the job, but I did actually appreciate the mothercare ones as they had wings.

Don't buy everything brand new. A moses basket doesn't last long - buy second hand or borrow. you can get a new mattress for a tenner on ebay.

When you are pregnant for the first time your hormones make you want to buy up half of mothercare. perfectly normal nesting instinct but you won't need 25 bottles or 50 different baby toys

Does anyone know when the Aldi baby event ends? Is it just when stock goes or do they get more stocks in? Didn't know if it was worth making the trip today

Fluffeh England Mon 04-Mar-13 07:23:08

Home bargains have a pack of 5 muslins for £3.99.

MyDarlingClementine England Sun 03-Mar-13 15:28:30

Aldi nappies are fab and sooo cheap.

curlyclaz13 Sun 03-Mar-13 14:16:25

thanks for the aldi tip ! 2 x packs of muslins, a blanket and some baby wipes purchased. tk maxx for large muslins and face cloth type things today.
Sainsburys had naty nappies with 1/3 off this week but not sure how long that is on for.

OooShiney Fri 01-Mar-13 14:16:15

Didn't even see the spellcheck monkeys had been at work. smile

MiaowTheCat Fri 01-Mar-13 13:53:29

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offers_week09Thursday13.htm

Still had it on my clipboard from pasting it for somewhere else - ignore the random meat in the middle and the random bottle of wine at the bottom and there's all the Aldi weekly offers from their "utterly random shit" aisle that's baby stuff this week.

OooShiney Fri 01-Mar-13 13:32:18

Also seem to have some good offers.

Today I bought a cotton cellular blanket for £2.49.

4 pack of their wet wipes for £2.49, usually 79p a pack.

A jumbo box of nappies, for £7.49. These were in DD's size, 4 but did see other sizes.

They also had fleece blankets and Muslins. I didn't check the prices on those.

It's a trek for us, but usually pop in for their nappies and wipes as they 'be been good value but also good quality.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now