Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bargain baby thread

(108 Posts)

Following on from the brilliant Christmas bargain threads, is there anything similar for baby stuff? I was thinking somewhere we could share info on where we have had a special deal or bargain that may help others. Maybe a certain shop with nappies on offer, a sale on high chairs etc. Is there a need?

FirstTimeForEverything Sat 12-Jan-13 23:05:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

haloflo Sun 13-Jan-13 14:15:39

I just spotted maternity pads on the sainsburys site for 65p, I used boots last time but might get these instead.

I will order that kiddicare cot bed today - I have been meaning to all week! Good tip about quidco.

Also Moses baskets - I'm borrowing mine. They are used so little that if you know the person they come from they are likely to be spotless.

Don't forget to sign up to boots parenting club. Free changing bag and 10 points per pound spent on baby products.

haloflo Sun 13-Jan-13 14:16:41

Oh and tx maxx are good for branded grobags, always less than £20.

FairyJen Sun 13-Jan-13 14:23:06

As an alternative I've started using a cah back site calle kidsave. It's a cash back site but the money goes into a pot for your dc. You can link your card to it so can get cash back even if your not shopping online and also you can sign family up to it. Now whenever my mum does her big food shop my dc get cash back for it!

Does anyone find Costco or similar cheaper for bulk nappies etc? Or are supermarkets on special offer better?

Dogsmom Sun 13-Jan-13 15:05:45

Sainsburys have currently got 1/3 of the whole baby range from bathing/nappies/dummies/tommy tippee stuff/food/formula etc

In the clothes section they've also reduced last seasons vests/sleepsuits/babygrows to £4 from £8 and have bought out a lot of last summers clothes and put those in the sale too.

FirstTimeForEverything Sun 13-Jan-13 16:03:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

comeonbishbosh Sun 13-Jan-13 16:37:42

My serious best tip is not to buy much at all... people are so generous passing stuff on. Our DD is 3 years old and we have hardly bought her any clothes the whole time, and most items even cots / pushchair / moses basket beds have been passed onto us (and we'll look forward to passing them on to others when DC2 has grown out of them). At least don't buy these things too early on, as people will only think to offer when they clock that you are well pregnant! A few extras were mainly bought on ebay or charity shops and jumble sales and there's a few good quality second hand baby stuff shops locally as well.

It may not be the route you want to go down, but using reusable nappies and wipes have saved us a lot of money (even accounting for extra use of the washing machine), and have decent resale value (though since ours will do 2 DC they may be a bit knackered by the end!). It's perfectly possible to use reusable wipes (which can go in the normal wash with the occasional blast of a wash at 60) even if you're not doing nappies that way. Check out the nappy board for lots of info.

So, I really bought very very little for DD... the cost involved was mainly having lots of nice trips to cafes while on mat leave! Oh, and breast pads. Buy the best you can afford (Laoinosh!).

Good luck!

KelleStar Sun 13-Jan-13 16:48:11

mincepies Debenhams blue cross sale is on at the moment, found that the range in store is better and has bigger discounts than the website. Saw some Freya and Panache for £7 today that caught my eye, but no point buying new normal bras knowing my size will change again.

It's a bit too early for nursing bras for me, I've gone up 2 cup sizes already, but they haven't finished. They usually have a spring one after valentines day, bit closer to my april due date.

HalleLouja Sun 13-Jan-13 17:10:55

Sign up to your local freecycle. You will be amazed what people give away. I have given away loads too so don't feel too guilty getting things from there too.

I use reusable nappies too. I got loads second hand and money from they council so they haven't cost too much apart from the lovely ruffly nappy I had made. The wipes are much better than disposable ones. If you look at Cheeky Wipes they do a kit that you can use even if you never use the nappies you can wash them in your normal wash. They often do money off.

Try your local NCT sale as you can get second hand things in good condition.

littlecupcake Sun 13-Jan-13 18:50:07

Dorothy Perkins have got a few skinny jeans and leggings on their site massively reduced in their sale. Only size six left, thought someone petite might appreciate them!

Mamas and papas and next also have mat clothes in sale. Loads in size 6 and 20 but some in between if you look

LaurenCaddy Sun 13-Jan-13 19:24:43

As much as everyone hates Bounty for the lovely women that harrass you in hospital, there Offers page is fairly good.

Currently:

Hauck Rocky Deluxe Bouncer
Mickey Blue or Pooh Red
RRP £49.99 Discount to RRP 52% Offer Price £23.95 (until 14th January only)

Promo codes: bol20 - for Winnie The Pooh red
bol25 - for Mickey Mouse blue

at: http://www.preciouslittleone.com/hauck/&filt=1901-/9991574750/

Graco Quattro Tour Deluxe Travel System
Includes Footmuff, Changing Bag & Raincover
RRP £449.95 Discount to RRP 53% Offer Price £209.95 (from 11am 14 January til 17th January- Only 40 avaliable)

http://www.online4baby.com/for-baby/600/Graco-Quattro-Tour-Deluxe-Travel-System---Chrome-Black

CosyDream’s U-Shaped Body Pillow
RRP £39.99 Discount to RRP 50% Offer Price £19.95 (from 11am 14 January til 21st January)

http://www.cosydreams.com/pillows/pregnancy-pillows/u-shape-pregnancy-pillow.html

rainand Mon 14-Jan-13 11:15:26

^

Are the Bounty offers for real? I tried for the CosyDreams pillow 5-10 min since the promotion started and its not accepting the code, meaning 200 of the pillows have been sold out in 5 min?!! Really??

LaurenCaddy Mon 14-Jan-13 15:47:34

I've been trying as well. In the past i have had a few things from there, but that one doesn't want to work for me either sad

LaurenCaddy Mon 14-Jan-13 15:49:05

Ooo just tried no need for codes or nothing its down to £20.00 automatically just add to basket and checkout!

iamwhaticallpregnant Mon 14-Jan-13 15:51:43

A friend has recommended I get my nappies from Aldi :-)

LaurenCaddy Mon 14-Jan-13 18:51:41

Tesco Baby Event - half price ellas kitchen first stage pouches. Half price Plum stage 3. Half price Tommee Tippee breast pumps manual and electric. Half price Tommee Tippee bottles. Half price Tommee tippee microwave steriliser. Half price Avent steam steriliser. Half price johnsons bath products. 1/3 off huggies and pampers economy packs. 89p johnsons wipes. Half price 6 pack of pampers wipes from £9.99 to £4.98! Half price huggies night time pullups. 2 for £2 tesco baby bath products. Huggies pure wipes 9 pack down to £6.29. Event on until 11th February.

Boots Baby Event - Tommee Tippee steriliser £34. Joshnsons wipes 89p.
SMA follow on milk and toddler milk £7 a tin. 10 for £6 stage 2 baby jars. 10 for £5 stage 1 baby jars. Half price Avent steriliser. Buy 1 get 2nd half price on mini mode clothes. Half price huggies night time pullups. £7.50 huggies economy pack. £8 pampers economy pack.

Nicky1306 Mon 14-Jan-13 20:35:37

Great thread! I recently got a tommee tippee electric breast pump in Tesco for £50.00 which is pretty much half price so I was happy with that grin x

SilverSixpence Tue 15-Jan-13 12:47:16

Just thought I'd add that www.amoralia.com Amoralia are having a sale at the moment, bought some really comfortable nursing bras at 60% off! Also tankinis, PJs etc

Msbluesky32 Tue 15-Jan-13 17:19:54

Boots have 1/3 Lanisoh nipple cream, £6.65 instead of £9.95

rainand Wed 16-Jan-13 12:08:46

Bio Oil - buy one get one free at Boots:

http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?Ntt=Buy+1+get+1+free&storeId=10052&promoName=Buy+1+get+1+free&st=specificPromo&N=4294944914&Ne=13&Rpp=60&langId=-1&Nr=AND%28DIM_BASIC_RECORD_TYPE_ID%3aIS_PURE_PRODUCT%2cDIM_PARENT_PRODUCT_ID%3aIS_PARENT%2cDIM_PROMOTION_AVAILABLE_FLAG%3a1%29&catalogId=11051&Ntk=PROMOTION&Ntx=mode%2bmatchall

elizaregina Wed 16-Jan-13 21:12:20

another aldi wipe and nappy convert here too - love em.

also tk maxx fan.

picked up fab qulaity mamas and papas moses basket and stand and extras - all looked brand new for £10 at a baby market - also a host of beautiful baby clothes and toys - very good makes/quality for pennies.../car boot sales..

some of its pants - some of it is nice but way over priced them sometimes you get that one person, selling wonderful stuff - for nothing smile bliss..

Mothercare have the sangenic nappy bin on special offer, half price with no cassettes, and the box of 3 cassettes are i think save £3. It still works out cheaper to but the set including 6 cassettes from John Lewis so it shows to look around.
However we have just had a kiddicare open up next door to our mothercare and I've noticed a big sign go up in mothercare saying they will price match JL, Kiddicare and a few other stores. Not sure if they have always done that but good to know

sundaesundae Thu 17-Jan-13 09:27:14

A lot of the supermarket baby events aren't that good value, I price checked against Amazon and Costco (have to be a member) and very few things came out better. I did buy the Lanisoh stuff in Boots, as that seemed good value compared to other places and I had a voucher for extra points if I spent x amount.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now