Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Stupid question alert - taxi to hospital

(32 Posts)
Numbthumbs Fri 11-Jan-13 14:08:31

Im planning to get a taxi to hospital if i go into labour at night as DP doesnt drive. Due to the terrible weather thats predicted if the taxi wont come out can i just phone an ambulance or is that a horrific waste of resources? My thinking behind that is that if they can get here then thay can help deliver baby if we cant then get to hospital.
Our road is a cul-de-sac on top of a hill and definately wont be gritted.

Thanks

iamwhaticallpregnant Mon 14-Jan-13 15:34:16

I have read this thread with interest as my partner and I do not drive. I am surprised that taxis would refuse to take a pregnant woman! A little scary. But I assume if i dont tell them im in labour I will be ok?

janek Mon 14-Jan-13 15:52:32

On the front of my midwife notes there was a number to ring for an ambulance when in labour, not 999, a local number. Is this not universal?

I don't think taxis like people leaking blood, guts and amniotic fluid all over them, and you should most DEFINITELY NOT drive yourself! If you can drive yourself, it's probably not time to go to the hospital yet!

iamwhaticallpregnant Mon 14-Jan-13 16:15:39

I am sorry - but if you cant get a taxi I have no clue what women are supposed to do who dont drive and their partners dont drive - and who dont live anywhere near any friends or family. I cant be the only one. The taxi will simply HAVE to take me.
This is my first baby and I may be pretty clueless - but surely it isnt like a Tarantino film re:blood,guts,gore when you realise you are in labour?

cyclecamper Mon 14-Jan-13 16:21:25

There is quite a lot of blood and fluid in labour. Just call an ambulance. We don't have a car so I probably won't have an option either.

ZuleikaD Mon 14-Jan-13 16:41:45

Of course you can get a taxi! I've got taxis for both my previous labours and have every intention of doing so with this one. Unless your waters break on the way you won't be leaking anything until you get to the pushing stage and if your waters have gone (or you're worried about them going) just take a towel to sit on.

Minniesbowtique Mon 14-Jan-13 19:05:23

Taking a taxi is absolutely fine and expected if you have no driver. Please do not call an ambulance unless it is an emergency, it is a complete waste of resources and having had 9 months to plan how to get into hospital I always take a dim view of women who use the ambulance service as some form of free taxi. The ambulance service will always send an ambulance to a women who rings up in ?labour as tbh they're terrified of pregnant women but rarely are they required. Ring delivery suite or the assessment unit, however your hospital works and if they feel an ambulance is warranted then they will either arrange it for you or tell you to get one. Also be aware that if you come into hospital via ambulance and yo are not deemed to be in active labour you would have to find your own way home.

Numbthumbs Tue 15-Jan-13 10:25:04

Thanks for all the replies, sorry i havent been back to the thread, internet has been playing up.

I have a midwife appointment tomorrow (39+3) so i will ask her what the correct procedure is, i asked a friend yesterday and she seems to remember seeing a lady in labour getting out of the back of a non-emergency ambulance/transport service when she was at antenatal clinic, maybe thats something my hospital offers.

Just to be clear, i am not PLANNING on getting an ambulance unless it is an absolute necessity, i work for the NHS and know how stretched the resources are, i just wondered what i could do if a taxi cant get out due to the snow that we have here. If its in the daytime i have no problem its just in case it happens in the night (which it did last time but it was june). The plan is for my parents to get a taxi here to watch DD and then we take the taxi on to hospital.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now