Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Recommend a type of breast pads to use both in pregnancy and nursing

(40 Posts)
rainand Fri 11-Jan-13 10:39:50

Hi,

I've had a look into breast pads and though I'm still 20 weeks I want to buy them early as my nipple area as well as breasts are sore and I've already started using lansinoh cream.

There seems to be different types of breast pads (The NCT shop for example), from disposable to silk to cotton. Which one would you recommend?

poppy283 Fri 11-Jan-13 20:58:04

Another lansinoh fan here, anything cheaper was a false economy as i'm quite leaky!

Buy cheap ones while you're still pregnant though, you won't leak very much at all.

NoTeaForMe Fri 11-Jan-13 23:25:00

Can I hijack and ask a quick question? Has anyone tried the lily pads ones? I like the idea of leaking less in the first place as last time sleeping was horrendous! The lily pads ones seem to say they apply a small pressure and therefore less leaking to begin with.

I found the johnsons ones were really thick and you could quite clearly see them through clothes-ok at night but in the day not so much!

JoulesM Sat 12-Jan-13 15:28:52

NoTeaForMe - the silicone ones i.e. the LilyPadz or manmapads work if kept clean with the proper cleanser. At night it depends on how well you re-stick them (so how awake you are during feeds). If baby isn't feeding at night then they will def stay put!

I loved lilypadz last time. Never leaked. But I had friends who were heavy leakers who didn't get on with them at all.

NoTeaForMe Sat 12-Jan-13 23:08:03

Hmm...I wonder if they're worth it then? It was night time that used to really irritate me, I'd wake up soaking and horrible-got me down after a while. Also the thought of having one side not leak while I breastfed from the other side would be nice!

How fiddly are they to get off and re-apply properly, oh and are they hard to clean?

Sorry for the hi-jack OP!

slightlysoupstainedbabygrows Tue 15-Jan-13 20:40:48

Haven't tried Lilypadz but night time leakage got an awful lot better when I bought a couple of sleep bras - they keep pads in place a lot better than my normal nursing bras (boobs tend to fall out the side of those all the time), and are more comfortable too.

I think these are the ones: www.mothercare.com/Blooming-Marvellous-Maternity-Blossom-Sleep-Bra---2-Pack/LY1546,default,pd.html

I found waking up soaking really annoying and depressing so was a relief to find that changing bra helped.

LittlePicnic Tue 15-Jan-13 20:58:27

I got some cotton reuseable ones from mothercare. Been using them for about three years now ( two babies and extended breastfeeding), with no problems.

NoTea, I found them easy to apply - turn them inside out and pushed the middle quite hard onto my nipple before flipping it back the right way (if that makes sense). You only need to properly wash them once a day - I used a dot of fairy liquid (you can use any liquid soap as long as there's no moisturisers or aloe vera type stuff in it). Sometimes I'd get a wee bit of milk leak in behind the pad, especially when I was feeding with the other side, but it would never leak out. Took a wee bit of getting used to, but I got on brilliantly with them. I was able to use them without a bra, which was the main advantage as I hated sleeping in a bra. This link is quite useful.

Like I said though, I recommended them to others and some didn't really get on with them so I felt bad for recommending them! confused

NoTeaForMe Tue 15-Jan-13 23:38:13

Thanks, I think I'll give the Lilypadz and the sleep bras a go. It was so horrible waking up all wet last time that I'll do anything to avoid that!

Do you have to buy the lillypadz online? Are they all one size?!

Sorry again for hi-jacking OP!

noblegiraffe Wed 16-Jan-13 08:55:38

I tried them all last time and Johnsons were my favourite. I got annoyed by the individual wrapping on the lanisoh ones, such a waste when I was getting through so many, doubling up at the start. I found that the thin ones that were folded in the wrapper tended to fold inside my bra too and the sticky bit would end up sticking to my nipple!
I did try reusable ones and it was like King Canute trying to hold back the tide, then I had to wait till they were washed and dried (and after a c-section I wasn't inclined to be putting washes on all the time) so I gave up.

I think I got mine online last time, NoTea - I'm pretty sure they're one size fits all, too. Hope you get on with them!

rainand Thu 17-Jan-13 19:33:09

I tried johnsons which is OK. I'd prefer one that stuck to my breasts instead of my bra. Which ones do that?

rcs19 Thu 17-Jan-13 19:43:22

Another vote for Lansinoh, they're cheaper on amazon than in the shops.

rainand Fri 18-Jan-13 00:20:05

Do Lansinoh ones stick to the breast or the bra?

LoopsInHoops Fri 18-Jan-13 07:58:52

the bra, but they stick really well, no gathering or slippage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now