Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

20 week scan - needs a full bladder or not?

(29 Posts)
StuckOnARollercoaster Thu 10-Jan-13 09:56:09

For the 12 week scan there was an extra leaflet with the appointment letter explaining the need for a full bladder.
No such leaflet with 20 week scan letter - is that because you no longer need a full bladder because of being further along or is it because they assume you'll know to have a full bladder based on the previous scan?
thanks

LexiLexi Sat 12-Jan-13 14:13:29

thanks Dogsmom, that's helpful to know. Having a drink 20 minutes before doesn't sound too bad, sure I'll manage that!

Dogsmom Fri 11-Jan-13 11:58:51

My letter said I didn't need one and had a pee while I was waiting then the sonographer was a bit narky with me that she couldn't see my bladder because it was empty, i told her about the letter and she said that I should always have a drink 20 minutes before any scan.

LexiLexi Fri 11-Jan-13 11:56:14

I'm in Gloucestershire and we were told to have a full bladder. Although when I went for my 12 week scan, after drinking a litre of water I was told my bladder was too full and to let half out which was near-impossible!

20 week scan on 25th Jan and think I'm going for the middle ground of a pint this time.

thunksheadontable Thu 10-Jan-13 23:22:11

I think it doesn't strictly speaking matter but can improve clarity of the picture. That is what sonographer told me.

Jollyb Thu 10-Jan-13 23:05:41

Why don't you give them a ring?

No, wasn't asked for one, didn't need one. On an earlier thread someone said that a sonographer had told them they only require a full bladder for larger ladies as for obvious reasons they are more difficult to scan.... but political correctness means they can't say that. So, if you are a skinny minnie, no, and if you are aren't, yes!

[Ducks, and waits for outrage...]

PuffPants Thu 10-Jan-13 17:00:35

I'm sure at my scans they said empty better than full.

Tinselandchocolates Thu 10-Jan-13 16:53:54

I emptied my bladder just before going in (hadn't been asked for a full bladder) but it made it difficult to see placental position, as mentioned above.
You don't need much in your bladder, and I'd avoid full, but definitely not completely empty.

milkyjo Thu 10-Jan-13 16:02:36

In my first pregnancy I was told I didn't need a full bladder. This time I was told to have a full bladder! Different trusts. If it doesn't tell you to have a full bladder I would spare your discomfort!

Paradisefound Thu 10-Jan-13 13:21:43

No, I emptied my bladder before I went in.

Pritchyx Thu 10-Jan-13 12:23:02

I'd drink pop or water until you feel your bladder getting full, but not too full. I drank 30 mins before hand and my pictures have all been clear! X

TwitchyTail Thu 10-Jan-13 11:59:03

Or that's what they told me at my 20 week scan anyway!

TwitchyTail Thu 10-Jan-13 11:58:16

No. If you go in with a full bladder it can obscure the view and they will probably ask you to empty it.

StuckOnARollercoaster Thu 10-Jan-13 11:55:12

Thanks all - I will try and find a middle ground in that I won't drink lots of water like the 12 week scan but enough so its hopefully not completely empty.
Knowing my luck it will be one of those days where everything is pressing on the bladder so I'll want to be going to the loo every 10 minutes!

HavingALittleFaithBaby Thu 10-Jan-13 11:35:22

Sonographer doesn't do the urine dip blueberry, I handed mine to a HCA who gave the results to the midwife when I was seen after my scan. The sonographer I referred to had just said she preferred to have a fuller bladder as it made her job easier!

The variation in Pre-natal care in general is massive, I've been really surprised!

Onezerozero Thu 10-Jan-13 11:29:23

I drank two thirds of a small bottle of water when I got to the waiting room at the time my appointment was due. 45 minutes later when I went in (which was about what I expected), it was fine!

weeblueberry Thu 10-Jan-13 11:28:48

Isn't it interesting how much variance there is with this? I certainly didn't have a full bladder when I went, nor did I get a letter to ask me to have one! And they definitely didn't ask me for a urine sample...what does the sonographer need this for? Isn't it a midwife thing?

StillSlightlyCrumpled Thu 10-Jan-13 11:07:12

Definitely not an empty bladder as its difficult to get a true idea of the placenta positioning. Full ish is fine.

plannedshock Thu 10-Jan-13 10:46:54

I was bursting before my 20wk scan and went to the loo without thinking literally just before they called me through, could see everything super clear so no!

mumnosbest Thu 10-Jan-13 10:37:52

grin even

mumnosbest Thu 10-Jan-13 10:30:52

{grin} @ 'easier to empty. Have you tried at 20wks? I went with a full bladder and was asked to do half a wee. When you're desperate and pg that's no easy task I tell you!

My letters said 1pt at 12wks and 1/2pt at 20wks.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Thu 10-Jan-13 10:28:16

Mine came with a letter saying to have a full bladder. They'll want a urine sample anyway. I did see a thread like this before and a sonographer said 'Yes please!'. I didn't drink as much as for the 12 week scan because I was in agony and they said if anything my bladder was too full that time. I drank about a pint an hour before and it was fine.

I got told to go with a full bladder as its easier to empty it if required instead of filling it

From my experience this time round it would be helpful. Baby's head was right down and they couldn't do the face checks they needed even after sending me out 3 times to drink water/move about so I had to rebook for the following week.
Again I did not drink too much just a coupe of those small plastic cups and was sent to drink and fill my bladder completely so she could do the checks.

ALittleBitOfMagic Thu 10-Jan-13 09:59:59

No you don't need it .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now