Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

20 week scan - needs a full bladder or not?

(29 Posts)
StuckOnARollercoaster Thu 10-Jan-13 09:56:09

For the 12 week scan there was an extra leaflet with the appointment letter explaining the need for a full bladder.
No such leaflet with 20 week scan letter - is that because you no longer need a full bladder because of being further along or is it because they assume you'll know to have a full bladder based on the previous scan?
thanks

thunksheadontable Thu 10-Jan-13 23:22:11

I think it doesn't strictly speaking matter but can improve clarity of the picture. That is what sonographer told me.

LexiLexi Fri 11-Jan-13 11:56:14

I'm in Gloucestershire and we were told to have a full bladder. Although when I went for my 12 week scan, after drinking a litre of water I was told my bladder was too full and to let half out which was near-impossible!

20 week scan on 25th Jan and think I'm going for the middle ground of a pint this time.

Dogsmom Fri 11-Jan-13 11:58:51

My letter said I didn't need one and had a pee while I was waiting then the sonographer was a bit narky with me that she couldn't see my bladder because it was empty, i told her about the letter and she said that I should always have a drink 20 minutes before any scan.

LexiLexi Sat 12-Jan-13 14:13:29

thanks Dogsmom, that's helpful to know. Having a drink 20 minutes before doesn't sound too bad, sure I'll manage that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now