Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hyperemesis Support

(992 Posts)
LucindaE Wed 09-Jan-13 18:32:37

We need a new thread.

I hope everyone suffering from the Horrors of Hyperemesis will find this thread useful as a source of support and information.

There's no TMI on here - can't be by definition - and nobody should feel ashamed of moaning as much as they feel the need to.

I used to include extracts from MOH's wonderful website
https://sites.google.com/site/pregnancysicknesssos/
but I think that makes this link less visible so am merely putting the link. The information on this site is invaluable.

I would like to thank MOH MOP Ovaltine Caramellokoalalover (I think she's changed her nickname) Fluffy, Horsey Kali and Everyone who has given such invaluable support and advice on previous threads.

Remember when you are at your worst, 'This Too Shall Pass'. It really will.

Reebok - Rubbish you have to go back into work sad I'm thinking of going in just for an afternoon or two next week but waiting to see how I feel Monday morning. We can get through it!!

Room - Sorry Stetemil isn't helping much - hope you feel better soon

Only through up once today and ate a proper lunch for the first time in weeks and weeks! Woo hoo! Feel bloody exhausted still but keeping food down is amazing. Also a good scan for me today! Photos a bit rubbish because out little beanie is very active and was spinning and wriggling and kicking all over the place. Poor MW tried for ages to find a better angle or encourage baby into better position but we saw loads on the screen. Looks very like his/her brother, all long legs and very active. No wonder I was convinced I felt kicking the other night! Got a referral to physio because I had bad spd the last time so they are trying to resolve that before it becomes an issue and my next appt is in 4 weeks, tho I'll get my blood results in a day or two. Have decided not to have quadruple test too. I also have a new EDD of 9th August!

Reebok Fri 25-Jan-13 21:23:34

Thank you Room and Littlemiss. Am dreading going back. Feel like I've forgotten how to do everything! Plus scared of being sick but I have a wonderful TA who is willing to take charge while I find my feet/be sick.

Room I was thinking about you today. Sorry the new meds are not working. Pray that you find some relief soon.

Littlemiss, that's great news about the scan. It's a weight off the shoulders once you see that heartbeat right! smile

DH is away. I have all three children to look after and I need to go back to bed. No idea how I'm going to cope today. And the rubbish thing about Saturdays is that everyone says thry would like to help but they have plans already. I would love to be able to go shopping or out for lunch etc etc. I know it's totally wrong to expect help and for other people to give up their plans but today I just feel so terrible and can't help but get grumpy about it.

LucindaE Sat 26-Jan-13 11:07:07

Room You poor thing, that's so awful. I can only send hugs. I do think people close by might put themselves out for a few hours. With three there's no chance of lying on the sofa. Though I stopped at the one, I remember how when OH was at work and my daughter was a toddler how awful it was staggering about with a migraine, carrying a bowl about with me. When is OH due back?
Reebok Is there absolutely no way you can manage another couple of weeks off? I expect it's maddening to have me say this, and I do hope your so much better it's possible. It's just I'm concerned because several women on this thread have gone back too early, collapsed at work, and had to go off sick again. You know best, though.
Littlemiss How lovely about that scan! It makes such a difference.
Lucinda
xx

BelleEtLaBete Sat 26-Jan-13 19:44:38

Reebok - your doc can sign a sick note requiring reduced hours or light duties as a phased return to work. He can write you a letter stating you are to only work afternoons or a couple of hours a day. My doc did this for me last time and by agreement with my school I went in at lunch, taught one lesson, then went home. I did this three days the first week, every day the second, then half days for a week, then ft. My work didn't dock my pay and were just pleased to be getting me back. Could you ask your HR or occupational health dept about this?

BelleEtLaBete Sat 26-Jan-13 19:50:20

Ps - you are all very nice about me being a 'trooper'. I don't feel like one - my HG is definitely there under the meds but Pre-emptive medication seems to have it under control. Fri I forgot to take my buccastem to work and I was being violently ill by 3pm and had to cancel a class and go home. Ew. So it has proved to me it's there but at the moment well controlled.

My first indication I was pg was fainting and vomiting this time. I got my bfp on a hunch when I fainted in tesco and was sick at 11dpo sad I got on meds a week later (so 4 wks pg) and I was being sick 8-10 times a day at that point. Boo to HG.

Room - You have all my sympathy, I haven't been able to cope with DH by myself at all and there's just one of him (*lucinda*, i feel your pain!), don't know what I would do without mum or mil. It is tough though when friends are offering to help because you don't like to impose on their weekends and it's not quite the same as your mum coming round and bringing you soup and taking the kids away while you lie in an uncommunicative slump on the sofa! Hope you managed to get through today ok

Reebok - Argh it's awful work are putting you under pressure. My job is usually very much office-based with a wee bit of teaching so I'm not dreading going so much as I'm kind of dreading the drive there and back cos I do feel very queasy in the car but driving is really the only realistic transport option. If you can get reduced hours or reduced duties or something from GP to make your return more manageable that would hopefully help?

Belle - Boo to HG is right!! I would definitely be throwing up 7 or 8 times a day without the meds, at the minute it's down to once or twice a day which isn't so bad and it's only if I have let my stomach get completely empty so it's got very acidy in there or if i'm running late taking my tablet. It's really the exhaustion that goes along with it that's a real killer for me now...

Made it out for the morning with DH and DS this morning, first time we've all done something nice together since just before xmas since the sickness kicked in really. Had to spend afternoon in bed afterwards cos I was wrecked but worth it to get out and about smile

Reebok Sun 27-Jan-13 09:08:30

Unfortunately I have to go back guys. Not much I can do. My boss isn't very helpful but will see about whether she will allow reduced hours. Have contacted my union too for support. So far I feel ok in mornings now. By 2pm I'm ferl sick but not as bad as before and think its mainly because I'm tired. I slept from 8pm last night as I had a migraine. And while I didn't sleep through the night, feel a bit better for it right now. Fingers crossed for more health improvements as we go along the day for us all!

DH got back during the night and is now on his placement for his course this morning. I'm praying that 2pm comes quickly and DH is good at taking over because I just want to curl up now. The children are all getting cabin fever so I'm tempted to take them to church where they can go to children's groups while I let the sermon wash over me. I really don't feel up to it but another day here with the kids by myself seems so much worse.

LucindaE Sun 27-Jan-13 10:05:16

Room I hope your OH took over brilliantly, you poor thing; three kids and hyperemesis don't go too well to put it mildly.
Belle What a brilliant scheme, why didn't I think of the fact that others on here have had phased returns? I do hope Reebok's union can organise that for her.
Littlemiss Thanks for sympathy with that now distant nightmare. I do think home made soup is wonderful when one is convalescent from this and can face healthy food in small amounts, as distinct from a diet of crisps, coke and ice lollies...
Hugs to all. Apologies to anyone I've rudely overlooked. Hopeful How are you?
Lucinda
xx

Will everyone look out for Lotta1234? I've directed her over here for chat about HG meds. She has posted in pregnancy.

Right, I need to have a moan. Sorry!

This weekend has been ridiculously hard. Having tried to come off the ondansetron as per GP's budget request and failed miserably (I had forgotten how evil HG is because ondansetron is so good!) I really needed help this weekend with the kids. DH has come back and seems to think that because I survived, I must be capable of doing more. I know life is hard for him at the mo with his course, 3 DC and wife with HG but it's not easy for me either! I do not feel able to 'get back to normal' yet but he is asking me to do school drop off two days this week with the expectation hope that I'll be back to 'normal' the week after and totally able to get on with all the school runs. It's going to kill me! I feel so awful because I have done too much. I am utterly desperate for help and school drop off is my worst nightmare at the mo. I don't have the words to explain how ill I feel. I just can't express how angry I am. I'm sorry, but it was him who asked for another baby and I don't see why his life shouldn't be disrupted! Surely I am more important than his course? I've agreed to try the two school drop offs if I feel OK on those mornings because the little ones are in nursery so I can rest after. But as for pushing me to do more and more...

holdon4tomorrow Mon 28-Jan-13 05:45:01

Hi all

I hope its ok to join. I've spent the night reading this thread, crying at times, partly with relief and partly at what others have gone through.

I feel a bit of a fraud though - 12+2 weeks pregnant+had hg since wk5 with two hospitalisations etc. Although having awful time of it (bed bound, can't work) I haven't had it as bad as some of you here - saw one lady was throwing up 60x a day!

At my worst, its been 7-8+horrendous nausea. Its my first pregnancy.

Been touched at how supportive you all are to each other so was hoping its ok to join?

Hugs to all x

BarmeeMarmee Mon 28-Jan-13 08:26:04

Holdon I am actually a "graduate" of this thread now as DD is now 11 weeks old but I just wanted to "welcome" you to the thread and say sorry. To hear that another person is suffering. There is no benchmark as to who is better or worse-HG is horrific at whatever level you may be suffering and the support you will get on here is amazing. I know I couldn't have got through without it. Lucinda in particular does an amazing job of supporting.

I'm sorry I can't respond to all of you personally (DS is curled up on my lap watching Peppa Pig so doing this one handed! And DD is gearing up to complain she wants her nappy changed!) but I just wanted to say I still read this thread regularly and I'm so sorry there are so many of you suffering at the moment. Other people can't ever really understand no matter how much they may try so its great you have each other. And remember... This too will pass!

LucindaE Mon 28-Jan-13 09:14:50

Holdon Welcome, sympathies, and don't feel a fraud, if you are in bed you've got it badly! I'm glad to say only a minority on here have it as badly as being sick 50+ times a day. It's very lonely and isolating and frustrating and even when one can eat one has to eat rubbish for a long while, about which people can be judgemental, thinking that is one's normal diet. It is demoralising to be where you are, so early on, but time slowly passes. Can you bear reading or listening to the radio at the moment?
Room Hugs. It is hardest on you, and if OH wanted another baby and knew you were likely to suffer, he really should not be asking you to do more. Can you get him to read MOH's wonderful website or Helpher where there's advice for family members/partners so he does see that you simply can't solve things by trying to soldier on? I do feel for you.
Welcome to Lotta when she turns up...
Barmee Thank you for your lovely words blush and coming on to encourage people.
Reebok How are things today? Hopeful and Littlemiss and Everyone?
Back later.
Lucinda
xx

holdon4tomorrow Mon 28-Jan-13 15:53:20

Aww thanks ladies for the welcome!

I'm just absolutely in AWE of those who are able to work at the moment. I had to quit my job recently due to HG getting bad. I didn't want to, but they made it v difficult for me to continue.

Luckily (or not, depending!) I'm a freelancer who works at home so this job was a 2day a week thing in addition to my freelancing the rest of the time. Embarrassingly, even though I technically wfh I've had to stop working because HG got so bad. Makes me which makes me more ashamed when I read about the amazing ladies on here going into work at Greggs or teaching when all I have to do is a put a laptop on my lap and write or pick up the phone and do interviews. But apart from the odd article I just haven't been able to do it. And talking on the phone makes me more sick - dunno why!

Maybe I'm a wimp wink.

Reebok you've really, really been through the wars of late. I've been reading your updates with bated breath hoping things improve for you. Hugs.

Room I know re Odanestron - I've read nothing but amazing things about it but knew it would be a fight to get it. I kinda lied to my GP so I could get it (I said my gynae had recommended it to me. He hadn't. I don't have a gynae..) but it's helped me lots so far.

I hope things get sorted with your OH, it doesn't seem fair that he's putting this pressure on you when you need to rest. I hope you're able to talk to him about it when he's in the right frame of mind and make him see how bad things are for you - you're the one suffering here.

Belle sounds like you have a good work situ going on there, although I'm soooo amazed/impressed that you're even working with HG, like Reebok and others!

LittleMiss glad you got out and about - sometimes fresh air does help. A bit. Can't wait for Spring, when the beautiful flowers peep their little shy heads out of the ground smile

Reebok Mon 28-Jan-13 16:36:26

Welcome Holden and thank you for your support. I'm so sorry to hear how awful you feel an hope hG will be short lived for you.

Well guys, I made it through the day with only my morning vomit so far. Felt very nauseous during day but my TA was amazing and took over so I could have a lay down on the carpet with cushions. Was lovely to see my class today...plastered with hugs from them. They were excited to see me and happy I'm back. Hoping the hG is on the decline as ive hit 15 weeks today. So exhausted and almost home so will go straight to bed for a bit.

Hope everyone is ok today!

LucindaE Mon 28-Jan-13 18:02:15

Reebok I'm so glad you managed the day - and sweet about the kids being so delighted to see you -but still hope union might be able to arrange a bit of staggered return for you?
Holdon You are no wimp. I'm in awe of Belle Hopeful and the others who stagger in too. I have said before, how they avoid giving a public demonstration of how bad it is (on the floor) I'll never know, though Belle did have that misfortune with the Waste Paper Bin and fainting episode last time. I'm glad you've got Ondansetron, that was clever of you.
Room Hugs. How are things today?
Lucinda
xx

holdon4tomorrow Mon 28-Jan-13 18:19:49

Reebok awwww, so sweet about the lil kiddies. I'm glad you're glad to be back. Do hope you get to have a staggered return to work though. Fingers crossed that HG is on the decline for you - tons of websites/studies say it fades from week 14 onwards and is fully gone by week 20-22 for the majority of women, so the fact you're 15 weeks I hope it's gonna pack its stupid bags soon!
*LucindeE - Aye, I hate lying but I figured that I'd heard so many good things about Ondansetron that I was desperate to try it. Sometimes you just gotta do what it takes, right?

AFM, I've got my 12 week scan tomorrow - it's my third one this pregnancy. I'm classed as high risk due to my disability. I know she's OK - have a fetal doppler so been listening to her little heartbeat, but still a little nervous if they find anything out tomorrow. Hope she doesn't have what I have, but if she does, she'll have me as a bad role model grin

BelleEtLaBaby Mon 28-Jan-13 18:23:07

Hey ladies.

Reebok well done for getting through the day smile How you doing now?

Holdon welcome. Remember not to feel bad just because others have it 'worse'. It's really important to acknowledge how bad you have it compared to most! It's very supportive here smile

Hi everyone else. How are we all doing?

I'm off work for the week. Vomited all day yesterday. Been changed to cyclizine so let's see how that goes sad

Quick post to say I had a terrible night, managed to get through the day and I'm going to bed now because I can't manage any more. So glad Reebok got through her day too. I met a fellow sufferer in RL today who prayed for me which was very uplifting. I'm not ignoring anyone else on here - just can't keep going any more. Night, night.

cupcake78 Mon 28-Jan-13 18:58:22

Just a quick check in. Hope all if you who are feeling slightly brighter can hold onto the thought that there is hope!

Im now 18+6 and although still nauseous when I'm tired the vomiting has eased off. Had a relapse day last Thursday and spent the day being sick and feeling rubbish. It reminded me that I must rest when I can otherwise I will be ill again.

I am managing to hold off being sick without passing out most days and although still feel sick everyday it's not as debilitating as it was!

Hopefully this is the beginning of the end.

I hope all of you that are still suffering can hold onto the fact that each day that passes is another day nearer feeling human again thanks

cupcake78 Mon 28-Jan-13 19:01:23

Room I'm also in bed! It's either rest or be sick.

Ds thinks its great that he gets to stay up later than mumwink

holdon4tomorrow Mon 28-Jan-13 19:09:04

Room HUGS. Hope you sleep well and have a better night tonight.
Cupcake78 I like that, gotta look as each day gone as a day towards recovery smile

Being bed bound for 8+weeks is a literal pain in the bum. ARGHHHH, I banish thee, HG! Taking lots of hats off to everyone who is able to get up+about. I'm starting to hate our bed. :/ Even my cat doesn't join me for a snuggle anymore. She prefers her own company in the other room. CATS!

Hugs to all xxx

holdon4tomorrow Mon 28-Jan-13 19:17:06

btw Belle GOOD LUCK on cyclazine. Really hope it works for you. And thank you for your kind words. xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now