Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hyperemesis Support

(992 Posts)
LucindaE Wed 09-Jan-13 18:32:37

We need a new thread.

I hope everyone suffering from the Horrors of Hyperemesis will find this thread useful as a source of support and information.

There's no TMI on here - can't be by definition - and nobody should feel ashamed of moaning as much as they feel the need to.

I used to include extracts from MOH's wonderful website
https://sites.google.com/site/pregnancysicknesssos/
but I think that makes this link less visible so am merely putting the link. The information on this site is invaluable.

I would like to thank MOH MOP Ovaltine Caramellokoalalover (I think she's changed her nickname) Fluffy, Horsey Kali and Everyone who has given such invaluable support and advice on previous threads.

Remember when you are at your worst, 'This Too Shall Pass'. It really will.

honeymoonmum Sat 30-Mar-13 08:30:09

Sorry for some reason I only saw posts up until January, very pleased to find this thread active. I'm 6 weeks today. Have two dc suffered HG with DC1 to point I lost 1.5 stone in first trimester and had no food only water for 12 days at one point. DC2 took medication from 5 weeks and faired better only vomitting a few times a day to 16 weeks then ok. Started feeling ill last week and having seen male bastard gp on weds who refused to give me tablets got them on thurs from lovely female doc. Yesterday felt awful most of day but only sick once. Does anyone take avomine more than once daily? About to have to pack up and travel for 1.5 hrs to my mum for Easter but feeling so anxious about it as know I will feel terrible sad

honeymoonmum Sat 30-Mar-13 08:43:47

Little ducks, good for you on cleaner issue. My biggest issue with HG is letting go and accepting I can't do much. Makes me feel useless and a crap mum and wife. Hence worrying about Easter as feel I will ruin it if I go to my mums and go straight to bed/sofa and lie there groaning!

Tallyra Sat 30-Mar-13 09:46:05

Hi!
Are your family aware of the hg, have you told them? if they are able to look after you and DC while you are there then it should be OK. I hope you have a nice weekend even if you can't eat much of the food. thanks
I never took avomine (unless it has another name, thought I had most things though).

honeymoonmum Sat 30-Mar-13 09:59:07

Hi Tallyra, it's called promethazine, avomine brand name. Yes my mum understands as she had severe morning sickness and 4 of her 5 sisters had it to varying degrees. She will make sure I rest and step dad will be pretty oblivious as he tends to keep out of the way. I just feel bad as feel I'm letting everyone down or should not be having third child when I am so out of action at start of pregnancies. My prob I think. Sure others don't feel like that! Off to be sick after packing everything up, Urgh. :|

LucindaE Sat 30-Mar-13 10:32:27

Nexus Welcome. Lol about 'marital relations' grin when I was suffering, I wore one of those voluminous nighties and was right at the other side of the bed with a lavender satchet to my nose because I thought he stank. He seemed to get the general idea, and dr had old fashioned ideas, warned against sex as I'd had a miscarriage (I think that's probably nonsense as he didn't seem to think my being dehydrated mattered!). I've heard of OH's not even put off by the woman puking in the middle, but mine didn't find that too erotic for some reason. Glad cyclazine has helped so far, but there are so many meds that there's no need for them to stick with that.
Honeymoon Welcome too. I expect you saw a defunct thread, it's awkward as we have to change every 1,000 posts, and we've been going for several years now (thank goodness nobody has Hyperemesis for several years at a time).
Littleducks A couple of women on here have said steriods really helped them when everything else failed.
Nobody should feel guilty about not being a good mother at this time (let alone wife). You just have to survive one day at a time, and the best thing is rest. Cleaners sound like a good idea, treat yourself to a celebrity lifestyle for once!
Talyra Hugs.
MOH is wonderful! [bsmile]
Back soon.
Lucinda
xx

fl0b0t Sat 30-Mar-13 11:15:57

Hey all. Made it to the party and drov bak (110 miles in 2 1/2 hours ) got to be just after midnight. Only just got up and had a cuppa today (trying out husbands word iPad) but plan for the day mostly involves a gentle walk to visit an.... Acquaintance and sorting out all e lovely maternity clothes I've been donated. So comfy, and I do feel less sick without tighter clothes pressing on my belly.

LucindaE Sat 30-Mar-13 12:20:36

Flo Congratulations on making it! I don't know how anyone manages travelling when sufrering.Glad you've got some nice maternity clothes. If you look obviously pregnant, it should make you get a seat, or perhaps you've managed to get sick leave? What's happened about meds while I was without a pc in Buckinghamshire?
Lucinda
xx

honeymoonmum Sat 30-Mar-13 19:09:59

Thanks for the welcome LucindaE. Has anyone else had dizziness and feeling like your head spinning when you move as part of HG? I have not had it before but feel it badly at moment. Could it be medication? Avomine doing a bit to help but still been sick about five times today sad

LucindaE Sat 30-Mar-13 20:37:58

Honeymoonmum I remember dizzy and faint spells,and I think they're pretty common, but it could well be a side effect of Avmoine too. Being sick five times is nasty- how long have you been on it as I'm not sure how long it takes to kick in but if this goes on, you really need something else. I'm sure you are more of an expert than me as you've been through it before, but Mother Hen warns - do watch out for those pesky ketones if liquids aren't staying down.
Lucinda
xx

MOH100 Sat 30-Mar-13 20:48:06

nexus yup, absolutely ok to say you hate being pregnant. I'd forgotten about no nooky in pregnancy, wasn't the main thing on my mind when I was pregnant, but I had just got over the worst of the HG when spd kicked in, and that was it well and truly off the agenda. Then baby came early and it was kicked right into touch. Sigh.

honeymoonmum we're still here, maybe quiet due to hols. You suffering?

littleducks don't be blush I've got a cleaner and I'm not even pregnant, but similarly it stops me going insane.

MOH100 Sat 30-Mar-13 21:03:26

Oh what happened there, my iPad hadn't updated all the posts. Doh! Will catch up now....

MOH100 Sat 30-Mar-13 21:15:35

honeymoon my gut feeling would be that one avomine a day would be about as useful as a chocolate teapot, I've never heard of anyone starting on one tablet a day of anything. My guess is that this dose is nowhere near adequate and your GP, lovely though she might be, is not terribly clued up given her over cautiousness about dosages. to see a treatment protocol that give you an idea of what you can take and how much of it, see the SOCG guidelines on the documents page of https://sites.google.com/site/pregnancysicknesssos/documents. If you want some other papers on treatment of HG pm me and I'll email them to you. There's some tips on how to convince your doctor to stump up a prescription on https://sites.google.com/site/pregnancysicknesssos/treatments/obtaining-treatment-1

honeymoonmum Sat 30-Mar-13 21:33:46

Thank you MOH100 will pm you when I work out how on an i phone! At my mums so no pc access that's easy to get to. Gp said start with one but up it of necessary but called out of hrs doc today and they said one tablet was max dose. Confusing and annoying! Will see gp Tuesday and ask them to look in my notes for what I took with DS2. Managed to eat small amount of dinner and two glasses of H2O over afternoon which is fab as find fluids v hard to manage. How do u get sticks to test ketones? Only went for two wees today, that can't be great? Thanks for all the support, it makes SUCH a difference in these early painful days smile

HumphreyCobbler Sat 30-Mar-13 21:43:58

I am taking promethazine (phenergan) and one dose is working for me (as I said I think my HG would have been classed as mild), but I am still feeling very sick and being sick towards the end of the day. My tablets are 10mg I think, but the dosage on my packet says up to four times a day.

MOH100 Sat 30-Mar-13 22:13:09

Honeymoon Maybe they're mega doses, I've just never come across them - how many mg per tablet? Actually avomine is less commonly prescribed than phenergan, though I've been told by one of the PSS doctors that avomine is more effective for nausea. They're both promethazine but in different formulations. Good idea to check your notes for what you had last time. Think you can get ketostix at most chemists, or from amazon no doubt.

littleducks Sat 30-Mar-13 22:20:58

My local chemist had sticks, they didn't realise at first and had to look up on the computer how much they cost (£5) but they did have some, otherwise amazon.

I have to take 6 anti emetic tablets a day, would prefer a mega dose!!

fl0b0t Sun 31-Mar-13 11:17:19

Hi all. Lucina work has been ok, I've not got too much on and can work fm home Some days. I am also cautiously feeling a bit better the last few days... Although I still have my moments. I'm still on promethazine- one tablet a day although I do take some extra if I need them. honeymoon remember that the dosages for these drugs are a bit up in the air as they're used for travel sickness etc. if you read the packets, they will say that they're not to be used in pregnancy, so take the instructions on the packet with a pinch of salt and always talk to your doctor! Pregnant ladies aren't supposed to take antihistamines for hay fever but will be prescribed them for hypermedia!

Managed some Easter baking yesterday but our boiler has now broken... An expense and stress we were not hoping for (got new kitchen to pay for in the next few months, and a car service on Tuesday), but we are picking up a whole bunch of second hand baby stuff whilst visiting friend (with lots of lovely crazy children) today, so hopefully we will stay warm and acquire ba things smile

LucindaE Sun 31-Mar-13 12:19:54

Never mind, everyone, next Easter will be very different!
Lucinda
xx

honeymoonmum Sun 31-Mar-13 15:16:38

Urgh bad day. Been in bed most of it and eaten sod all. Just had a couple of dry rich tea biscuits and might try and drag myself on a walk with DH and DCs. How far along is everyone else? Can't remember when HG at its worst. Please tell me this is it! 6-7 weeks! Happy Easter all and at least we aren't gaining pounds eating chocolate and Easter cake !!!!

honeymoon a lot of people are getting improvements around 16 weeks as I recall. I'm nearly 23 weeks and spending every day at hospital for IV fluids and IV anti emetics as its the only way to keep me hydrated. I also now have a window of opportunity post IV meds when I can tolerate toast and orange squash.

Horrid day yesterday, vein in my hand leaked out my IV meds and I got a hideous rash and blistering. On Call consultant came to see me but it wasn't an allergic reaction, just the skin or something reacting to the drugs leaking out. Was very painful too.

I managed to get into work for a few hours as planned on Wednesday and Thursday but I feel as much use as a chocolate teapot. Meeting with my boss and HR that I've been summonsed to next Wednesday which to be honest I feel very apprehensive about sad

Right, I'm going to make the most of another couple of hours of fluids and have a nap for a bit. Hope you all managed something enjoyable today

PrincessRichards Sun 31-Mar-13 19:35:30

Honeymoon - I found mine was worse from 6 to 10 weeks which was when I was admitted to hospital. In fact the last time I went in I was in bits because it seemed to do nothing that time, I came out feeling as rough as when I went in and still bringing everything up.

For about a week now I've noticed an improvement, still sick every morning and can't stomach much but I've found plain crisps and peach squash are keeping me going! It would be nice to be able to choose a meal and eat it all with no sick but I'm happy just to be able to eat a few crisps its a start. I'm 13 weeks Tues.

Hope everyone has had a relaxing break and some relief from HG

HumphreyCobbler Sun 31-Mar-13 19:48:03

peach squash is my staple too

PrincessRichards Sun 31-Mar-13 20:31:39

Ha ha Humprhey, not sure what it is but seems to stay down much better than anything else, can't stomach orange or blackcurrent!

I don't feel so odd now grin

HumphreyCobbler Sun 31-Mar-13 20:47:01

we are not odd, we are HEROES for coping with all this grin

littleducks Sun 31-Mar-13 21:10:03

Humphrey- I second the hereo status, HG is an endurance test from hell!

Waves-I remember similar happening when I had dd (7yrs ago so blocked out mist stuff but am getting memories back as I relive it) my veins started rejecting cannulas and moving away from them. Much sympathy hmm

I have had a shitty day too, dh us unwell and I'm trying to keep it good for kids....it's ds birthday tomorrowhmm I normally do a surprise fancy cake but its a Betty Crocker mix job and then as an activity we will ice and decorate it. Not sure I can face a day out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now