Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Hyperemesis Support

(992 Posts)
LucindaE Wed 09-Jan-13 18:32:37

We need a new thread.

I hope everyone suffering from the Horrors of Hyperemesis will find this thread useful as a source of support and information.

There's no TMI on here - can't be by definition - and nobody should feel ashamed of moaning as much as they feel the need to.

I used to include extracts from MOH's wonderful website
https://sites.google.com/site/pregnancysicknesssos/
but I think that makes this link less visible so am merely putting the link. The information on this site is invaluable.

I would like to thank MOH MOP Ovaltine Caramellokoalalover (I think she's changed her nickname) Fluffy, Horsey Kali and Everyone who has given such invaluable support and advice on previous threads.

Remember when you are at your worst, 'This Too Shall Pass'. It really will.

Tallyra Tue 19-Mar-13 10:51:47

You must be feeling so horrible Princess. Do try and get the doctor to prescribe something else. You might feel that they aren't working, but it's possible that they are actually helping a bit and if you stop them completely you may well get worse (you might not feel that's possible, but I don't think it's a good idea to tempt fate). It's not a nice thing but my first time round they gave me Domperidone suppositories as I couldn't get anything down my neck, and they did help for a couple of hours each time.

LucindaE Tue 19-Mar-13 12:38:48

Talyra How are you, now? Hugs. I've had those supposatories for vomiting with migraine, like you I didn't find them wonderful,but they do by pass the stomach.
Princess You mustn't worry about risks, they've been prescribing that drug for about three decades, with no reported risk to the baby or mother according to MOH's website. It might be worth checking on there https://sites.google.com/site/pregnancysicknesssos/treatments/obtaining-treatment for the many meds options as ammunition - but it's so hard to fight your corner when you feel awful. I hope you get a temporary respite.
I hope Choccie and Hayley an Wispa so recently out (that sounds as if they've been in prison, lol!) aren't relapsing fast, and that Everyone's coping today. We haven't heard from Bella in a while...
Lucinda
xx

LucindaE Tue 19-Mar-13 12:40:27

Holden Sorry, missed your post, how people drive with Hyperemeiss is beyond me, good luck for trip.
Lucinda
xx

HumphreyCobbler Tue 19-Mar-13 13:10:22

hello
I have been lurking for a while and have found the information really useful, thank you

i think I may have hyperemesis. i have been stuck in for the last three weeks with terrible nausea and sickness, had to cancel all work and i can no longer even drive five minutes up the road to pick up my daughter from preschool. i went to the doctor last night as i was unable to keep anything down for about 24 hours except sips of water. i have managed to avoid becoming worse than 1+ by keeping really still after drinking and trying to hold it down as long as possible. I was prescribed cyclizine and have taken two doses, it has stopped the vomiting but i feel beyond dreadful sad. I think I would rather be sick tbh.

Is stopping the vomiting as good as it will get, realistically?

Tallyra Tue 19-Mar-13 14:04:37

Thank you Lucinda, I'm fine now (the suppositories were from the first try, in 2009) but waiting with bated breath for the appointment with the mc consultant person to come through so I can intentionally get myself knocked up and sick again with more certainty that it won't be for nothing.

However, I had a 'scare' the other day - doctor told us not ttc while we wait for the letter, but did an hpt just before af started and got a positive, but nothing since and af started - I have a feeling I had another really early mc as af was early and worse than usual. I'll be telling them that when they get around to talking to me.
I was a bit distraught over the weekend thinking about it, but I've come to the realisation that if I hadn't done the test I'd never have even thought about that possibility and shouldn't have ever known.

Tallyra Tue 19-Mar-13 14:06:26

And hello Humphrey. I don't know the answer, although I have heard that might be the case I'm afraid. Don't give up though. We are here for virtual hugs when you need them.

Pollaidh Tue 19-Mar-13 15:03:35

Hello everyone, hope you're not suffering too badly.
Humphrey the Cyclizine does the same to me - generally stops most of the vomiting but leaves me very nauseous and feeling very out of it and weird. The nighttime dose especially seems to make me feel ill - I can't sleep lying there trying not to vomit.

Tallyra Sorry to hear about the possible mc, does sound like a chemical pregnancy. If you've had a few of those your consultant might well put you on progesterone to 'support' a future pregnancy in the first trimester. You should know that the downside is the sickness seems to be worse and start earlier. I decided to keep going with it though.

Tallyra Tue 19-Mar-13 15:39:49

Great, thanks Pollaidh. ( wink said in a slightly sarcastic and slightly relieved tone all at the same time). If there's a reason for all this, maybe I can finally get past it, but I'm not looking forward to being one of the sicker ones sad

HumphreyCobbler Tue 19-Mar-13 15:46:47

thank you both

I am going to phone the doctor and ask to change the prescription. I can't bear feeling so disorientated and fluey as well as feeling sick

sorry to hear about your mc Tallyra

PrincessRichards Tue 19-Mar-13 16:25:49

Thanks Tallyra Lucinda

I think a call to the doctor is in order to try something else. I do feel slightly better since being rehydrated but nowhere near how I did before.

Sorry to hear about your mc Tallyra hmm

I am currently just holding out hope that this will clear up soon, def a lot worse than first time round. I'm also trying to stop the bitter feeling of why me but sometimes it creeps up on me. I feel like I wanted this so badly and planned for it that it's so unfair to be like this�� it's also a scary feeling that with my first I was sick for 26 weeks and 11 weeks in this time I seem a lot worse, I really hope this is not a sign of things to come hmm

Virtual hugs to everyone whose feeling it today xx

littleducks Tue 19-Mar-13 16:37:50

Sorry to gatecrash but wanted some advice, have had hyperemesis in previous pgs but that was long ago. Am now 12wks pg and sick again, the story today:

Saw MW this morningfor booking in who didn't check urine for ketones just glucose and protein and told me to go to GP about sickness. Just had appointment with practice nurse, ketones are 4+. Only urine I have made today is twos sample bottles. Been told to come back to see dr at 8pm, late night surgery tonight so no drs around this afternoon .

I feel a bit neglected, reckon even if I get anti sickness drugs tonight I will be too sick to keep tablets down.

HumphreyCobbler Tue 19-Mar-13 16:54:21

gosh littleducks, 4+ is high sad

I am sure that someone who is more expert than I am will come soon, but I think they recommend hospital admission and drip therapy when it gets that bad.

Do hope you get the help you need

Tallyra Tue 19-Mar-13 16:54:45

4+, get yourself to a ER!!! It's an admittable level if I am to believe what other people have said in this thread. Shame on the MW and doctor, they obviously know nothing about HG and don't really care.

littleducks Tue 19-Mar-13 16:58:58

I was thinking they might send me in, would have been far easier to have dealt with that first thing this morning! Its my birthday tomorrow as well sad. Kids will be disapointed sad

PrincessRichards Tue 19-Mar-13 16:59:29

Littleducks

In my opinion it sounds like you are dehydrated and although the anti sickness drugs might help now I think you still need rehydration. It sounds like you really need to put your foot down, tell them you feel dehydrated and you want to be referred.

Not sure how it works in your area but in mine I would have to see GP to get a letter to say I needed rehydration (something to do with hospital getting paid) then I'd toddle off to the gyne ward in the morning for 3 bags of fluid and some anti sickness meds through IV. It really sounds like this is your only way to go, if doc doesn't refer you go to a and e. unfortunately there are too many ladies on here who have not had such a smooth ride and have been messed about so much. I've been extremely lucky that midwives have take me seriously and when I ask for a referral they give me one.hoping its straight forward for you

LucindaE Tue 19-Mar-13 17:50:05

Just dashing on to welcome Littleducks and urge you,like others, to go straight to A and E, you must feel terrible and the IV will help that.
Humphrey Welcome too, sorry about suffering, I think it's meant to take a few days for the tablets to work, but if they are really doing nothing for you at all it might well be worth asking GP for someting else.
Waves to Poll Jess who's been quiet, Room Chookie Hayley Princess wavesandsmiles Holden and Everyone.
Lucinda
xx

littleducks happy birthday for tomorrow thanks. Highest that ketones can be measured at is 4+ and admission for IV rehydration is standard with levels of 3+ or more. But then I am naughty and have hung about out home with levels of 3/4 + for a few days in the past (like all weekend and up to yesterday morning when I saw my consultant who sent me straight to hospital!)

I'm home and feeling a bit chirpier afer 5 litres of fluids, although tired from being woken through the night. Back tomorrow for another litre, my cannula has been left in, so taking some good reading material with me.

DS is 9 on Thursday, so glad I will just have my morning fluids. And a day off Saturday so we can have a swim as his birthday treat.

I am off to bed pretty soon - very tired and needing to get some sleep as there is a lot to contend with in terms of sorting out belongings etc as STBXH is moving out over the weekend and on Monday. So much to do, but I think it will ultimately ease my stress levels a bit.

Humphrey I hated cyclizine, and now I am on ondansetron which is seemingly more effective, but due to vomiting I can only have it through IV or in suppository form. The hope is that within a couple of weeks I'll be balanced enough to manage oral tablets. Do nag your GP - it is their job to keep you well.

Reebok Tue 19-Mar-13 19:38:41

Hello all Hope you're all slightly better. Unfortunately I'm still feeling rubbish. Still forcing myself to go into work only to come home and vomit. Thought I'd be past this at 22 weeks but unfortunately not.

HumphreyCobbler Tue 19-Mar-13 19:48:35

I am in awe that some of you are working and driving.

I got a doctor on the phone and she tried to tell me there was nothing other than cyclizine to give me. Thanks to this thread I had the Pregnancy Sickness Support site open in front of me and I was able to say well ACTUALLY... This was unlike the GP I saw yesterday who seemed to know what she was talking about. I am going to try promethazine instead and hope for the best. I realised that on the cyclizine I was more likely to end up dehydrated as I felt to ill to swallow anything.

Reebok Tue 19-Mar-13 19:52:23

Humphrey I wish I could stop working. I was off for over 2 months and went back I think at 16 weeks due to being pushed back. I was feeling much better at 18 weeks only to start having what appears to be a relapse. Could possibly be triggered by stress. So here I am...back on the meds and feeling like a robot again. I hate HG.

HumphreyCobbler Tue 19-Mar-13 20:24:21

Reebok, I am so sorry to hear that. It is truly grim.

Haylebop12 Tue 19-Mar-13 20:33:07

little wow 4+ is high. I've been admitted at +2 before. You definitely need fluids. My last lot I had 7 litres! Get the anti sickness through IV it's brill then you should be able to tolerate it orally and start keeping it down.

All getting better over here... I think.

Had a private scan yesterday at 10+1 and pleased to report everything was perfect. Kinda makes it easier to deal with knowing its for good reason. Back to work tomorrow to see how I go. Only working 2/3 shifts this week and have annual leave next.

Hope everyone is feeling ok.

goldie32 Tue 19-Mar-13 20:36:19

Hi all, just popping on to say hello to those who were here this time last year and to give support to new sufferers. My baby is 21 weeks this week, this time last year I was in the midst of HG horribleness, hospital and drips etc. It was absolutely awful, but she is worth all of it and amazingly I do think that I have forgotten just how yucky it all was, bit like you do with the actual birth! good luck to everyone and thanks again to the life savers on this site who really help so many of us! Love to all. xxx

Hi ladies just checking in - 19 weeks now and while I'm def better than I was 6 weeks ago I'm still on the meds and I had a couple of really dodgy days with lots of throwing up last week. Don't have much of an appetite and when I don't feel queasy I tend to have heartburn so just ticking to small snacks like dried fruit, nuts, yogurt, cereal most of the time. Needless to say I haven't really been piling on the pounds but looking a bit healthier anyway. Can't believe I'm nearly half way thru - finally sat down this evening and ordered some maternity clothes at long last!

Sorry to hear some of you are still really struggling and cn only hope you do start to feel a little better. Hope you're hanging in there in the meantime..

littleducks Wed 20-Mar-13 00:10:35

Hey everyone. Am in a&e on second bag of fluids.....no antiemetics though yet. Hoping to go to ward soon, a&e is horrid and I just want to sleep hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now