Webchat with Green Party leader Natalie Bennett, Wednesday at 1pm x

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hyperemesis Support

(992 Posts)
LucindaE Wed 09-Jan-13 18:32:37

We need a new thread.

I hope everyone suffering from the Horrors of Hyperemesis will find this thread useful as a source of support and information.

There's no TMI on here - can't be by definition - and nobody should feel ashamed of moaning as much as they feel the need to.

I used to include extracts from MOH's wonderful website
https://sites.google.com/site/pregnancysicknesssos/
but I think that makes this link less visible so am merely putting the link. The information on this site is invaluable.

I would like to thank MOH MOP Ovaltine Caramellokoalalover (I think she's changed her nickname) Fluffy, Horsey Kali and Everyone who has given such invaluable support and advice on previous threads.

Remember when you are at your worst, 'This Too Shall Pass'. It really will.

LucindaE Sun 17-Mar-13 17:27:04

ChocckieI still feel guilty about somehow deleting that bit of my message about going straight to A and E, I am so glad that is what you did. How is the head?
Jess Thanks for kind words, I think you were right, not selfish, I think even if one doesn't get along with siblings, they do make semi allies against parental authority. I don't think you should go to work yet, but mother hen always says that. Many threads back MaryLou1242 didn't suffer anything like as much with a subsequent,in her case, unplanned pregnancy, and somehow managed to keep going, though feeling foul. I don't know how people do.
I hope wavesandsmiles Princess Hayley Lotta Wispa Reebok and Everyone is coping.
Lucinda
xx

LucindaE Sun 17-Mar-13 17:28:32

...and Flo of course, on this current thread, somehow battling on, managing not to be sick on public transport - how do people do it?
Lucinda
xx

Hi All. So I've been lurking and can see that people are still suffering far more than me. I passed my GTT and hope I never have to do another one ever again. I am suffering a lot with nausea but the ondansetron is preventing sickness. I am, however, feeling so very nauseas this afternoon that I don't dare eat tea yet. I hope that it's not either the noro virus or rota virus that's been going round nursery...

PrincessRichards Sun 17-Mar-13 17:47:07

Thanks for your thoughts Lucinda, looks like I'll be on my way back to be re hydrated tomorrow hmm

Seems for a week I was coping really well after first admission, seemed to be able to eat small meals and not felt as sick but come Friday it's back with a vengeance, feel so sick I daren't eat and when I do it won't stay down.

I'm not sure it's as bad as when I went in last time but I know it's starting so I think the sensible thing to do is go in before its really bad. Midwife at the hospital was very understanding, just said call tomorrow and they'd have be back in again for more fluids and meds

Fingers crossed this isn't a weekly thing!

Hope everyone else is managing ok or improving somewhat, hate to think of everyone suffering hmm

fl0b0t Sun 17-Mar-13 18:36:17

Aww thanks Lucinda
I think I somehow save the crap up for being at home by myself. No idea how! I had a phonecall with a friend the other day, and felt a bit ropey but was busy being all cheerful and as soon as I got off the phone I had to go and vomit- almost before I'd hung up! No idea....

RainbowsFriend Sun 17-Mar-13 18:55:54

Hello,

I'm pretty sure I don't have HG as I am not losing weight - but some days I vomit 10-12 times and find it very difficult to keep fluids down (solids are easier for some weird reason)

Am I still allowed to hang out here? smile

fl0b0t Mon 18-Mar-13 08:43:46

Rainbows I think this might be the perfect place to hang out smile

I caved in today- I'd just had enough. I waited in 0 degrees at the station for an hour today for my train which was sitting at the platform, but the doors were locked and no news about when we'd be able to get on. I got all dizzy after a while as there are hardly any seats (I perchhed on one of those uncomfy slopey tall anti-tramp seats). After an hour I gave up and had to call my husband to pick me up sad

Fl0 it sounds like calling your husband was exactly the right thing to do.

I'm hanging out at home for an hour before seeing my lawyer then my consultant. Tested and unsurprisingly ketones are at 4+. Headache from hell most of the weekend which is getting worse and worse. Oh, and I weighed myself and have lost yet more weight, despite my growing baby bump.

I craved melon yesterday and ate some. It came back, but at least I tried. And it did taste quite good!

LucindaE Mon 18-Mar-13 09:43:53

Rainbow Welcome, don't be silly, ten to twelve times is Hyperemesis for sure, it's not in any way normal, and I'm afraid the weight will come off in time. Have you got kesostix, as I always ask? you need to test that you're not dehydrated. I'd phone up GP and make an emergency appointment for meds.
Waves Flo and Princess Oh,no, suffering all round, mother hen is concerned, and has to go off clucking now, but it looks like there'll be a few hospital admissions within hours. Waves I don't know how you hung on,
that reading is awful, and the headache must be unbearable at that level...
Lucinda
xx

fl0b0t Mon 18-Mar-13 10:04:10

eyeroll Now the big news is out there, the "advice" is rolling in. I love the MOH pages, but it seems rude to just link to the "What to say when" pages (https://sites.google.com/site/pregnancysicknesssos/what-to-say-when)

But I might just do it anyway! I might only be boarderline HG but it doesn't make the "helpful" suggestions less eyerollingly trivialising!

Pollaidh Mon 18-Mar-13 12:50:59

Wondering what to do later this week - due back in work at the end of the week. But although I'm definitely better than pre-hospital, I'm dizzy, exhausted, nauseous most of the time, have only been out once in a week and that finished me off for the day. I can currently avoid vomiting if I sit completely still and don't talk. Managing to eat a little (toast mainly). I've tried to reduce the 3 different anti-emetics but that's not a good idea. With the drugs I'm not really with it at all, sort of zoned out.

It doesn't sound like you are up to working yet pollaidh

I'm back in hospital, here for 24 hours or so then back to daily visits. Took a while to find a vein but only one failed attempt this time. I've been promised better treatment now so fingers crossed...

Thank goodness for IV fluids

chocciemousse Mon 18-Mar-13 14:11:32

Glad to hear you are being looked after better waves I hope everyone else is managing ok. Sorry but I'm so tired I can't read the threads properly.
lucinda please don't apologise. Without this thread I wouldn't have known any better to bypass the doc and go to the hospital. So thank you thanks

RainbowsFriend Mon 18-Mar-13 16:22:28

Thanks ladies - goodness some of you are really suffering - I hope you don't mind me here with my lesser symptoms?

Had my best day since week 4 today - only actually threw up once, and had a few hours where I didn't feel miserable! grin

I think I must have got completely dehydrated last week - sipping flat sour tart lemonade is really helping me and I'm so glad I've discovered a fluid I can keep down - the last few weeks have been dreadful as I just couldn't keep any drinks down for long. I hope it keeps working for me. Feel soooo much better to be able to drink some.

Whats the ketosticks thing? I presume I can buy them over the counter? Will I get odd looks and what do I do with them?!

RainbowsFriend Mon 18-Mar-13 16:23:51

Oh and last pregnancy the sickness didn't let up until week 18 (then SPD kicked in the week later sad ) - I was told that was a bit long for morning sickness - does the duration of sickness give an indication whether it is HG or not?

fl0b0t Mon 18-Mar-13 16:33:51

Ketosticks are usually used by diabetics, but they test for traces of proteins in your wee, which let you (and medical staff) know if you're having problems associated with dehydration etc. I actually bought some for my cat as he is diabetic (and didn't even get a funny look at the chemist when I said they're for my cat!!). They're cheapish- you buy a pot of about 50 for about £7- and you just put them in your wee stream and it changes colour. You check it against the chart on the side and it tells you how sick you are basically! Other people know more about the kinds of numbers and when you need to go into hospital- I've luckily never had more than +0.5.

Has anyone here tried swimming? I know that might sound mad, but I love swimming and was doing a km every week pre-sickness and I've really missed it. I want to go for a gentle float about, but have no idea how it will make me feel. I won't push myself, I just want to try it! No good aquanatal where I live (8am on a saturday? No thanks!) and I fancy a swim!

Vickitoriana Mon 18-Mar-13 17:36:15

Hey guys.... Just thought i'd check in and say hi... Sounds like its got very busy in here with new faces, sorry you are all suffering so badly. Since my mc last things have calmed down for me considerably... The nausea is gone and so has everything else that went with being pg. i have mixed feelings about it., but have decided that i will stick with the two children i have. Its clear that i will be plagued with HG if i get pg again and i think it gets harder when you are in your 40s like i am. Also, the mc really scared me... It was horrible, i would be worried about it happening again and don't want to risk it.

If the pregnancy had worked out i would have been thrilled to be a mummy again, but im gonna enjoy the freedom of having a 16 and 18 year old instead.

Thanks for everything last week... I'll pop by and say hi from time to time. Xxx

LexieH Mon 18-Mar-13 18:21:45

Hi everyone, i'm new here, someone suggested I have a check in and I have to say I am probably nowhere near as bad as some of you poor lot... god sounds terrible.... i thought being sick 4 times a day was bad but 10-14... oh my goodness!!

So my deets are I'm 12 wks pg ( scan this thursday) with DS or DD numb 2... far worse sickness wise this time around. Have felt nausea and sick 24/7 since 4wks, been sick a 1-4 few times most days, when i was 6wks i couldn't keep anything down, including water, ended to going to hosp they gave me Metocholpromide (i think it's that) i take it but it dones't help much. I have good wks and very bad weeks, different day to day.

I just have a small question i am off ALL food, everything makes me feel sick some things more than others, i have to force stuff down but i am hungry ALL the time... and I mean all the time ..... it makes me wonder if it's twins? Or does anyone else feel STARVING...but off everything..

anyway sorry to gatecrash and thanks in advance x

Tallyra Mon 18-Mar-13 19:17:35

I'm so sorry Vicki. That must be an incredibly hard decision. Sending you loads of hugs xxxxxxxx

Welcome Lexie. I remember the hungry feeling never going away even with the nasusea, although whenever I managed to keep stuff down it did reduce it slightly.

Tallyra Mon 18-Mar-13 19:18:23

Forgot to mention that mine were singles, not twins.

PrincessRichards Tue 19-Mar-13 08:15:05

Lexie that's exactly how I feel and whenever I eat it comes back, I'm actually only sick maybe 5 times a day but it's meant I've lost 2 stone already and the sickness has vermin full throw for about 5 weeks!

I think I've def realised that every case and every bout of sickness is so different. The first time I went into hospital my ketones were 4 plus but I'd been poorly for a few weeks. I went back again yesterday as I knew things were declining, I'd only not been keeping anything down for 3 days and ketones had gone from 0 to 4 again really quick.

I had 3 litres yesterday but it didn't shift the ketones, they were considering another bag but decided not to as my bloods showed my kidney functions were fine so they've decided the only way to get them down is to get me eating again! Must say the first time I came out of hospital I felt a lot better and wanted to eat but that doesn't seem to have got to me yet hmm the nurse dealing with me yesterday seems to think she'll be seeing me every week!

Also bit disappointed that doc wouldn't change my meds yesterday, I had 2 lots of Cyclizine straight in IV but I'm not sure tablet form is working but doctor wouldn't give me anything else as he didn't think there is much else to offer?!?!

Oh well, so I could be there every week but if it means I can eat then it's a necessary evil! Will see how the eating goes today grin

Hope everyone is ok or as ok as you can be.

Waves glad to hear that there is some improvement and you hospital stays seem to be going well grin

Welcome to lexie. I feel hungry when my ketones are ok but as soon as they rise that disappears. Only one baby cooking here, causing quite enough trouble on its own.... princess it takes a while for ketones to reflect physical condition so they may be lower by today, given the fluids yesterday?

I had loads of fluids overnight, and will be going home later this morning before we get back into the daily fluids and IV anti emetics routine from tomorrow. My cannula will stay in til Friday, then I'll have Saturday off so I can take DS swimming as promised for his birthday treat.

How is everyone else doing?

HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Tue 19-Mar-13 09:24:50

Morning everyone! Hope everyone's doing ok today. Been sick twice but had 11(!!) hours sleep last night so still feeling positive. DD and I are going to visit a friend this afternoon. First time driving with HG, but I am planning it for the middle of the day when I am least nauseous so hopefully it will be ok.

LucindaE Tue 19-Mar-13 09:31:00

Lexie Welcome, of course you are not gatecrashing, sorry to hear that you are suffering. You can still be quite ill on four or five vomits a day, paritcularly if you can't retain unless liquid, do watch out for that. About the appetite, I think everyone varies. While at my worst I had no appetite, couldn't bear to think of food even, but I was lucky in that that stage didn't last long!
Princess I am dismayed the consultant didn't replace cyclezine as you had ended up in hospital on it, and there are so many meds that can be tried, perhaps in combination, even if he doesn't want to go for Ondansetron right away, as MOH's great website shows. I'm glad you feel a bit better.
What were the pesky ketones when you went in?
wavesandsmiles I hope they were ashamed of how badly you've been treated by the hospital - didn't you say something about 'should be feeling better' - I am sure you think you should, as well, the point is you're not - and I hope you are feeling a tiny bit better. I don't understand how you keep going. How long is it since you have eaten ifyou don't mind me asking a question about food?
I hope Everyone has low ketones today...
Lucinda
xx

PrincessRichards Tue 19-Mar-13 09:44:07

Hi Lucinda

They were 4 plus when I got there! I have a feeling they think they will be seeing me every week so I think he's waiting to see me again first! He even wrote in my notes to try another combination but then wouldn't prescribe when the nurse asked!

It's horrible because I'm sure these drugs aren't great for any of us so I'd rather not be pumped full if non are working, it feels like I'm taking a risk for not much gainhmm

Welcome to everyone new, hope you don't have to stick around long grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now