Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Hyperemesis Support

(992 Posts)
LucindaE Wed 09-Jan-13 18:32:37

We need a new thread.

I hope everyone suffering from the Horrors of Hyperemesis will find this thread useful as a source of support and information.

There's no TMI on here - can't be by definition - and nobody should feel ashamed of moaning as much as they feel the need to.

I used to include extracts from MOH's wonderful website
https://sites.google.com/site/pregnancysicknesssos/
but I think that makes this link less visible so am merely putting the link. The information on this site is invaluable.

I would like to thank MOH MOP Ovaltine Caramellokoalalover (I think she's changed her nickname) Fluffy, Horsey Kali and Everyone who has given such invaluable support and advice on previous threads.

Remember when you are at your worst, 'This Too Shall Pass'. It really will.

LucindaE Fri 01-Mar-13 12:50:49

Flo Sorry nauseu persists - can you ring through for a new supply or a new one of those annoying repeater things? Two hours travel is bad enough - that twelve hour day must be tiring normally...
Wispa and Littlemiss I am so glad you are both feeling a bit better, and living a bit more normally.
Waves How are things today?
Lucinda
xx

Hi so glad I found this thread. This is my 2nd pregnancy, the first I was sick until I had my DS, but I could eat and drink ok. This time been sick since 4 weeks (am now 8 wks +2) and am sick as soon as I get up and I just can't bear the thought of eating or drinking. Came out of hospital on tues after an overnight stay - had 3 bags of saline. Been put on cyclizine, but it's not helping. Saw gp yest and he said he didn't know what else to prescrube me, told me to get back in touch with hospital for advice. I'm trying to get up so I can phone them now. Finally bit the bullet and got a sick note this week so just lounging at home. Just feel so terrible and low and useless. I want to get up, but know as soon as I do I'll be sick. Sometimes I wonder if its all worth it i feel so crap. Support needed!

fl0b0t Fri 01-Mar-13 13:47:34

lucinda- my drs are pretty strict it seems on repeat prescriptions (I even had to go in in person to get my sick note extended!) ( http://www.easthampsteadsurgery.co.uk/prescriptions1.aspx?t=1 )
Gits!

My working week is not a 9-5 mon-fri.... I have no routine, and visit staff that I manage remotely all over the south east- from Eastbourne to Aylesbury, all done by public transport and walking/cycling. I love it 99% of the time, but it has been a bit grating with the sickness and tiredness of pregnancy. And there's lots of work at the station I change at, so as of today my journey time increases on the way home! Eek!

LucindaE Fri 01-Mar-13 17:56:47

YourDaughter* Welcome, sorry you are suffering badly and gp doesn't seem very clued up on meds, there 's a lot more he can try, though some gp's are releuctant to prescribe Ondanesron because it's so expensive, but women on here seem to find it the most effective. MOH's website has lots of advice about meds https://sites.google.com/site/pregnancysicknesssos/treatments/obtaining-treatment. Sympathies, of course it will be worth it, everyone says so when they have come through it, but nobody thinks so at their worst!
Flo I do hope you get meds asap. You deserve a Green medal for doing all that travel by public transport, but envy meaning what it does on this thread, that makes for rather a sick joke lol.
Hope Everyone's managing today.
Lucinda
xx

fl0b0t Fri 01-Mar-13 18:39:26

Cheers Lucinda smile
I haven't yet been sick on the train so I'm very strangely proud of that!

Glorious wonderful husband managed to pick up my repeat prescription and paid for it at the pharmacy (as he didn't have my exemption card). Sadly scan date hasn't yet arrived so I've got to chase hospital/midwife at the weekend! I just want my scan!!!

I'm feeling ridiculously cheerful today because I've made it to the end of the week. Proud of myself! But I need to sleep now.

LucindaE Sat 02-Mar-13 09:21:30

Waves and YourDaughter How are things today?
Flo - Well done at no puking on train - not a happy thought. I don't understand how people can be so tidy about being sick - I did some fine Public Puking Performances in bins (they didn't have lids on then) in Ealing...
Lucinda
xx

SuffolkNWhat Belgium Sat 02-Mar-13 09:38:10

Hello everyone, can I sneak in?

I am very newly pregnant (5 weeks) and have HG for the second time sad

Been sick for the past two weeks solid, although had a day off from it yesterday weirdly. Hoping to see the GP next week as it is getting very hard at work (teacher).

LucindaE Sat 02-Mar-13 11:16:53

Suffolk Welcome - no sneaking needed, delighted you found us! My goodness, it looks like you get it early if you have had it for two weeks already? A high number of people on this thread are teachers - is that pressure of work making things even worse via stress, I wonder? At least you are unionised and I hope they will help out if unfortunately, it gets up to full strength, which I hope it doesn't. Were you given 're emptive med'?
Lucinda
xx

MOH100 Sat 02-Mar-13 11:27:20

yourDaughter why are you the one ringing the hospital? Isn't that your doctor's job, what a slacker. If he doesn't know what to prescribe he could look at http://www.pregnancysicknesssupport.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/medication/. Have you been referred to a consultant at the hospital? That's also your GPs job, to refer you on when he's run out of ideas, though I can't believe he doesn't have any more ideas beyond cyclizine.

flobot I can't believe the travelling you're doing, that must be making you much worse. Is there no way that work can make some other arrangement during your sickness? I had to just stay off work because the only way I could get there was walking, but that used up all my energy for the day and then I couldn't do any useful work and after a few hours I had to call a taxi to get home. If they could have arranged a temporary parking pass and a temporary disabled parking space I could have got there and done something useful but I might as well have asked for a solid gold desk for all the chance they would do that. I wish I'd pushed it though. I felt really crap at home when i was capable of work if my managers had exhibited some imagination about finding ways for me to get there.

suffolk Lucinda's right, you need pre-emptive meds, and a sick note. Was your GP any good with the medication last time?

SuffolkNWhat Belgium Sat 02-Mar-13 12:02:11

Waiting to see the GP, we know which meds work best so hoping to get straight onto that.

Thanks for the welcome and support folks, nice to speak to people in the same boat who understand!
suffolk I'm a teacher too and completely understand. Took me ages to bite the bullet an take the time off, but it's totally unrealistic trying to teach like this. So far my head has been very understanding, but I suppose that will depend on how much time off I need.
moh my gp couldn't get me out fast enough tbh. I'll try to see another one next time. Rang the hosp yesterday, but as I'd left it so late (my fault I just couldn't get out of bed) they said they couldn't contact gp until Monday so I would have to come in to be prescribed anything else). I can't face the thought of another overnight stay unless I desperately need it so I plan to see how I go this weekend - I'm staying at my parents with DS as he developed chickenpox yesterday and DH is at work all wkend - and I'll call back on Monday and see if they can send my GP a list to try.

Feel OK at the moment, but I'm not up yet! Delaying the inevitable as soon as I move smile. Hope you all have good days and enjoy the sunshine a little xx

LucindaE Sat 02-Mar-13 18:59:42

Your Daughter What do those kesosticks say, keep an eye on those pesky ketones over the weekend.
I hope Suffolk Waves and Everyone not too bad.
Talyra I am obviously pathetically out of touch, as I don't know what 'onesies' means. Is it the carnal act? Lol!
Lucinda
xx

Tallyra Sat 02-Mar-13 21:41:56

Lucinda, a onesie is one of those pyjama dungaree type things with feet and a hood. used to be what a toddler would dress up in but for some reason grown-ups can get them now too!

fl0b0t Sat 02-Mar-13 22:18:19

thanks MOH- luckily my sickness isn't as bad as many people on here. I had three weeks off then one easy half week back. To be fair last week was just really busy, this week is much quieter. We're a small team and the other lady who does my job is a)also secretly pregnant and b) has just sprained her ankle so we're struggling a bit as a team anyway. I can work from home which I try to do 1-2 days a week where possible but I can never predict how busy or otherwise things are likely to be. Peaks and troughs and all.

LucindaE Sun 03-Mar-13 10:58:11

Suffolk and My Daughter I hope not too bad?
Flo It sounds like an interesting job, it's interesting too that they didn't say 'You have to do it by car, saves time and***the environment', but I don't know how you keep going. Is colleague suffering from normal m/s?
MOH I so agree!
Mother hen is anxious about Waves.
Talyra Lol, I've seen those things and was a bit horrified (imagine a man in a giant pink one) I didn't know they were called 'onesies', though!
Apologies to anyone rudely ignored.
Lucinda
xx

Tallyra Sun 03-Mar-13 16:33:23

So yesterday i went visiting a 6 week old and her parents and had a memory kicker. we were talking about the sickness and smells and stuff and dh mentioned the oils I used to overpower and counteract smells like the coffee that other people brought into the hospital ward. I used essential lemon oil just to waft under my nose and it actually helped. Not sure if that's been suggested before, but my mum initially tried lemon by grating it and it was a really helpful calming smell.

Hi,

Just checking in after a few quiet days - emotionally things are very tough at the moment due to the separation from STBXH (he is due to move out end of this month). I had been managing small amounts of fluid and food for a couple of days, but from yesterday things went downhill again. Ketones have been rising today, so unless I improve this evening/tomorrow morning, looks like I may have to go back to hospital.

Tallyra thanks for the tip on lemon oil - someone on another thread I'm on ad suggested grapefruit oil, so I may ask someone to go on an oil hunt for me tomorrow. Past couple of weeks I've been using a nose clip blush which looks stupid but at least gets rid of smells!

Feeling a bit desperate at this ongoing sickness, and heartburn kicked in pretty badly last night too. The stress of separation is really getting me down as well.

On a good point, my little acrobat is being super-active and last night DD had her hand on my tummy and could feel it kicking away smile

best wishes to all

LucindaE Sun 03-Mar-13 18:00:21

Waves Poor you, this stress is obviously making things far worse, you dont need me to comment on the obvious. I do hope you manage to stay out - did the nourishing drink things given by the hospital help at all? I'm glad baby is an acrobat!
Talyra That's interesting - I used to have a lavender satchet and I liked the smell of fresh mint, too...
Lucinda
xx

Morning All. I keep feeling reluctant to post on here because I don't want to take people's hope away. I'm 21 weeks now. I'm really trying to come off of the ondansetron because of the side effects and today is day 4 of no meds. But I am struggling because I have what I guess is akin to normal morning sickness. So I feel sick all of the time and am occasionally sick. I know that most of you would love to be like that right now. It just feels like I've been sick forever and I think that being like this after the hyperemesis stage of this pregnancy feels like too much to cope with. I'm so fed up sad and it is hard to look after the other three children while I'm like this.

Does anyone know where there is a table on the Internet that compares mild, moderate and severe HG? I've seen it before but I can't find it now.

kalidasa Mon 04-Mar-13 09:48:03

room are you only on the ondansetron? I came off the ondansetron as early as I could (around your stage) because of the appalling side effects, but I continued to take cyclizine, metoclopramide and ranitidine. I was on the cyclizine and ranitidine right to the end - I dropped the meto in the end, also because of side effects. Like you I was still throwing up every day at five months, despite all the drugs, but I did get a few weeks of nausea but no vomiting at about 6 months. (Then the vomiting started again but didn't happen as often.) I kept the ondansetron around and for the rest of the pregnancy I would take one if I threw up twice within a few hours, to try to prevent an escalation/ketosis. I'm afraid I had no period without nausea - apart from two hours one Saturday evening about three days before I gave birth, I still remember it! - but I think I was v. unlucky. Most people seem to get more improvement than that.

I think it's important to be clear that most women have more significant improvement than us, but also that - judging from this thread - a fair sized subsection of HG women, especially those who were most ill in the first trimester, are stuck with significant nausea and varying degrees of vomiting right to the end. Doctors don't seem to be clear/realistic about this at all, I suppose because as far as the official records are concerned, the HG is recorded as recovered as soon as you can stay out of hospital, which as we know doesn't really reflect reality at all. The acute phase is of course unspeakable, and for some of us lasted for months too, but psychologically I think the greater damage is done by duration and the exhaustion of feeling constantly and unremittingly ill for an entire pregnancy. I think it would have helped me a lot if I could have got "myself" back for even just a few weeks before the baby arrived. (Though I had severe SPD too so was very disabled for the last few months by that as well.)

Thanks Kalidasa. I have stemetil as well but it doesn't seem to do anything. I had promethazine but that just sent me to sleep and didn't stop the vomiting. I'm allergic to cyclizine and metoclopramide sad I can cope with taking an ondansetron tablet each morning and the side effects aren't too bad at that level. I'm worried that if I keep taking the ondansetron that whenever I stop taking it (even at delivery) I will start vomiting again as a reaction to not taking it anymore IYSWIM? Maybe I'm just being melodramatic about my sickness today because I'm fed up? DD2 (3.10 yo) is doing a good job of looking after DS sad

I forgot to say that I've managed to get a GP appt for tomorrow with a lovely GP who was very thorough last time and warned me that it may continue throughout if I didn't get past the HG soon. Not very positive but at least he wasn't ignorant.

LucindaE Mon 04-Mar-13 10:56:13

Room You shouldn't be reluctant to post because you've got bad news - my goodness, this thread is for people like you particularly, because it must be so awful to suffer throughout, and most of us don't. Feel free to vent any time!
as Kalidasa says, unfortunately a significant minority of women do suffer throughout, usually far less than in the first tri, and not many people have to keep gong back into hospital after the first tri but some, like poor waves do..
I wonder if that website that compares severity of symptoms was www.pregnancysicknesssupport.org.uk/help/supporters-network/ if it wasn't MOH's great website I often mention? I found I suffered from fairly relentless and severe heartburn throughout, which led to occasional vomiting, but I didn't have relentless nausea, poor you, that must be dreadful, and I remember how Kalidasa suffered. Others have unfortunately had nausea and (much less frequent) vomiting throughout, caramelkoalalover now bluebirdsunshine was one, and nitnatnaboo - now Melange and grumblinalng all had that.
Kali Lovely to hear from you just at the right time and hope baby Jospeh is sleeping well?
waves I hope not back in hospital? Oh dear. Hugs. It will be over one day, you will look back on this period as a distant nightmare and even be happy.
Lucinda
xx

SuffolkNWhat Belgium Mon 04-Mar-13 10:59:58

Fainted twice today, low BP anyway, add in sickness and I'm not doing so well. Off school today but don't want to repeat the time off I had when expecting DD.

suffolk I am also in the low bp and frequent fainting camp together with the sickness. I feel awful today, vomiting and dry retching and not doing too well at being upright. I tested my ketones and they are now at 3+. I want to try to hang on til tomorrow as I have a scheduled appointment with my consultant and I have missed all the others (was due to happen at 14 weeks) due to being in hospital! 19 weeks now and feeling like there is a very very long way to go until it is July.

I don't even know what to say to work, I am meant to be calling in with updates and today I feel so rotten I can't muster the energy. What could I even say other than that there is no improvement?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now