Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hyperemesis Support

(992 Posts)
LucindaE Wed 09-Jan-13 18:32:37

We need a new thread.

I hope everyone suffering from the Horrors of Hyperemesis will find this thread useful as a source of support and information.

There's no TMI on here - can't be by definition - and nobody should feel ashamed of moaning as much as they feel the need to.

I used to include extracts from MOH's wonderful website
https://sites.google.com/site/pregnancysicknesssos/
but I think that makes this link less visible so am merely putting the link. The information on this site is invaluable.

I would like to thank MOH MOP Ovaltine Caramellokoalalover (I think she's changed her nickname) Fluffy, Horsey Kali and Everyone who has given such invaluable support and advice on previous threads.

Remember when you are at your worst, 'This Too Shall Pass'. It really will.

BelleEtLaBaby Fri 15-Feb-13 16:01:41

Lying in the bed crying is helping me, Flo. I'm guessing doing the same on the sofa will too sad Handhold and tissues for you xx

I've been lying in bed today too. Had a phone call from my boss per HR policy to see how I'm getting on. His comment " so you have morning sickness then" nearly made me cry. I'd explained about the hospital admissions and it still seems the case that because I am pregnant I'm not really ill!

He seemed ok in the end after I'd explained about the amount of IV fluids and various meds, but it is awful having to justify all of this. I want to get back to work, but given how much of a struggle just getting through the day is right now, not sure it's a good idea to rush back

Hi everyone

Sorry you guys are feeling a bit run down & frustrated belle & waves

Feeling totally wiped out from this virus, tired, cold, no appetite and absolutely no energy. I could join you weeping on sofa but for now huddled up in bed watching some rubbish tv while ds torments dh downstairs. Wish I could just hibernate for next 5 months!!!

LucindaE Fri 15-Feb-13 18:59:10

You poor things, everyone seems to have had a bad day in one way or another, general hugs on offer (also, annoying clucking).
Lucinda
xx

Reebok Fri 15-Feb-13 21:04:17

Hello all, im so sorry to hear that so many of you are still suffering. Just wanted to give you hope again that it may end early. I'm 18 weeks, off all meds except for ranitidine and am sick only up to twice a week now. It's much more manageable and as long as I eat (a restricted diet) and don't allow myself to get hungry, the nausea is better too. I'm working again full time (although thank God half term started today!!)

By around 13/14 weeks, i remember feeling like i wanted to kill myself or terminate the pregnancy. (thank God i didnt). I had no real life support except this thread n didnt think i could go on. But i managed it with the help of the women on this thread. It will get better ladies, as Lucinda always reassures us and you will feel a bit like yourself again (although maybe not 100%). Thinking of you all x

LucindaE Sat 16-Feb-13 09:39:51

Reebok! It's lovely to hear from you, and so nice of you to come on and encourage people on this thread. You were very ill, in bed most of the time for weeks, and as you say the fact that you can function, with meds, halfway normally (though imagine what most women would say about 'only' being sick once or twice a week in the second tri) is so encourging to others. 'This Too Shall Pass'.
I hope Everyone has had a slightly less grim day today. Waves angry about ignorant, insensitive remarks of boss. May he come back as a woman, and have it himself!
Lucinda
xx

fl0b0t Sat 16-Feb-13 12:38:06

Good to hear such positive news reebok
waves worry to hear work are being difficult. I need to tell HR before I send my sick notes in (HR in a different office) but not sure how to go about it all. Very nervous about going back next week although I won't actually be in the office (working from home monday, then tue and weds popping out to go to some meeetings). I'm probably not well enough to go back, but I feel I need to try to show willing. Sounds silly I know. We told a bunch more friends last night (friends we usually see quite often) and they were all over the moon for us which is good news, the stress being lifted of lying about 3-4 weeks (so far) of lying on the sofa and vomiting feels so much less than the stress of telling people at 8-9 weeks.

Had a bad day yesterday, trying to make today a positive as we're seeing some friends tonight. Might have a nap after baking something experimental for dessert.

Quick update through floods of tears. Suppository saga continues, only one arrived today, pharmacy now citing manufacturer problems. So in bed still, and can't believe that at best I'll have to wait til middle of next week for the rest to arrive. Feeling quite desperate now.

reastie Sat 16-Feb-13 14:02:00

oh waves poor you. Is there nothing else you could try in the meantime? Would your Gp arrange for injections or some such for you if you can't get the suppositories? sad

BelleEtLaBaby Sat 16-Feb-13 14:36:56

Can you contact the ward? Someone might come out and inject you. How are the ketones looking?

LucindaE Sat 16-Feb-13 14:53:22

Just dashing on to sayWaves So agree with Belle and Restie, can they do that? You don't want to leave it that long without them knowing at the hospital how serious things are and also am clucking about ketones...Are you managing to keep any liquids down? Even cyclazine bought over the counter (obviously by someone else) , might help you a tiny bit in the meantime.
Flo Don't dash back, don't feel guilty, put yourself and baby first, you will be very weak physically.
Lucinda
xx

Need to check my ketones today, have been tolerating small sips of cooled boiled water but any food is coming straight up. I still have tablets, but they are coming up so I guess I do need to contact the ward or my GP to see about getting injections for now.

It's so silly, today I feel so so sad as I had been promised my prescription would be here, it was my mini light at the end of the tunnel.

waves sad sad

Ladies - I can just about choke down my small prochloperazine tablets 3 times a day but any other tablets, particularly even slightly bigger ones make me throw up - as I was reminded again last night when I tried to take a paracetamol to help me out with this nasty cold and threw up all ovr the hall before I could make it to the loo confused anyway unsurprisingly I haven't been able to take my prenatal vits for the last 6 weeks and that doesn't seem likely to change any time soon. Has anyone found a pre natal tonic to take instead? I know something like Berocca or well woman tonic won't have folic acid but some extra iron and vit c would be nice to help me get over the end of this nasty virus - any hg vets out there with any ideas?

LucindaE Sat 16-Feb-13 16:20:33

Waves Poor you, do keep an eye on them there ketones.
Littlemiss I think you can get vitamin drops, if you can stand those...
Lucinda
xx

hayleybootes Sat 16-Feb-13 20:01:57

waves how awful having to explain everything to your boss. Its the reason I have quit my job this time around, I always found the worrying about going to work or having to explain it all just added extra stress and caused my hg to be worse. It just had to be a man!!
LittleMiss sad throwing up in the hallway, I lost count how many times I wet myself and threw up all over the floor last time, was the worst thing about being in hospital. Everytime i needed to vom i had to somehow unplug that stupid machine the drip was plugged into and drag it to the toilet with me and then sit on the toilet with one of those dishes they give you just so i could be sick without wetting myself.....i've absolutely no pelvic floor muscles haha!! Yes vitamin drops are good I also remember sucking dextrose sweets for a tiny bit of energy, they mainly made me sick but when they didn't they seemed to help....it won't be forever and you will get through this. Big hugs.

Headaches to the extreme for the last few days........no energy.......i feel severe nausea when i don't eat yet don't fancy anything to eat ever so keep forcing toast down me. I feel the HG setting in, completely drained severe nausea and am just waiting for the vomiting to start....

Can you help me with your abbreviations as I don't understand some of them, like DS or DH??

Feel better soon everyone
xxxxxx

Lotta1234 Sun 17-Feb-13 12:46:46

Hayley I think dh means darling/dear husband, ds means darling/dear son and so in. But I might be wrong.

My announcement today is I managed to get dressed.

Vast improvement on yesterday when I thought I'd go downstairs and managed to slide down them (due to dizzy spell) so spent rest of day googling to reassure myself I hadn't hurt baby.

LucindaE Sun 17-Feb-13 14:05:37

Lotta Oh dear, that must have been worrying, but it's quite difficult to hurt baby even if you hurt yourself - I knew of a woman who fell stomach first on a chair when doing some decorting, it hurt her but her baby was fine, all those cushions of fluid doing their job. So glad you got dressed - the day will come when you will feel almost well enough to slide down the bannistairs - only joking but it's a good sign.
Hayley and Littlemiss Oh dear, it's sods law that would happen, I hope the hallway isn't carpeted? I was wonderful at wetting myself when retching violently - and that was the first pregnancy to go beyond two months, so you would think my pelvic floor would have stood for it - I used to do sit on the loo with a bowl, too...Sorry about awful migraines, HayleY. They just about put the top hat on things.
Waves Are you OK? Quite worried about your ending up in hospital yet again...Still can't believe that boss after your dramatic hospital admissions...
Belle How is the new house?
Flo and Room Are you OK? Everyone?
Lucinda
xx

fl0b0t Sun 17-Feb-13 14:52:01

Hi all, nothing exciting to add. Still feeling totally rubbish and retching frequently though not being sick very often. Which sounds positive but I don't feel any better so it sucks. Enjoyed a bit of vitamin D earlier by sitting out in the sun (even though it was cold) which was wonderful, but now feeling "grey" as ever.

Anyone else find they can only describe the way they feel as a colour?

LucindaE Sun 17-Feb-13 19:27:02

Flo Really sorry you feel awful - the nausea can be as wearing at the actual being sick, and staggering about retching is so miserable. Did you try the vitamin in drops form or couldn't you stand the idea?
Waves Ketones? clucks mother hen...
Lucinda
xx

FloweryBoots Sun 17-Feb-13 20:02:30

I feel a bit bad butting in when I can see from just a brief glance at the last page how much you ladies are suffering, but I was after some advice. I had very bad morning sickness, but probably not HG in all reality, until around 20 weeks. It then gradually improved but has never totally gone. I have struggled with nausea more so than actual vomiting - even at it's worst I was generally only sick 2-3 times a day and could eat fairly well, though struggled to drink. I am now 37+4 and the nausea is getting worse again and for the last few days has really been quite bad and so draining. PIL came for a couple of days to help me as I was struggling to look after my 2 1/2 year old. The nausea is keeping me awake at night and I know I feel worse if I am tired and that on top of the usual late pregnancy niggles and achs is making getting enough sleep near impossible so I feel it is a vicious circle now. I have a MW appointment tomorrow and am considering demanding medication now. I feel I've coped long enough and just can't be doing with it any more. The advice I was after is really about if any sort of medication would actually help as I'm generally not actually vomiting now, it's 'just' the nausea - do anti emetics tend to help with that or just reduce how much you are sick? Thanks in advance for any helpful thoughts!

hayleybootes Sun 17-Feb-13 21:05:13

Hi FloweryBoots My advice would be to speak to the MW about this. As you can probably tell that different things work for different people. No matter what medication I am given the nausea never leaves however I have heard from others that certain meds have been miraculous for them. Ihope this helps and I hope you feel better soon.... not long to go for you...I've 35 weeks of this left lol!! smile

Hi, not much advice re medication. I'm nearly 17 weeks and nothing has touched the nausea let alone the vomiting.

Ketones BAD today. Just managed a teeny wee and went to the darkest colour or ++++ as it says on the tube. I've had no medication since my one dose yesterday that enabled me to tolerate a little fluid and a couple of breakfast biscuits. Today has been vomiting or retching pretty much incessantly. I have a splitting headache and will have to call up the ward tomorrow once the DCs are at school. I'm so lucky that I only have to see them across the road outside and don't have to drive or walk them!

hayleybootes Mon 18-Feb-13 08:44:41

waves poor you.... eurgh to ketones. IV fluids for you then. I hope you feel better soon xx

LucindaE Mon 18-Feb-13 09:39:16

Welcome Foweryboots, back in a minute! "Waves" Is that 3++++? That is so bad that I have to be a pest and say, you couldn't go in earlier, could you, because you must be feeling unbelievably terrible at that sort of level, that headache is a sign in itself of how much you need fluids (as if you need me to tell you). Sending cyber hugs if you can stand them. I so feel for you. You will get through this, though it must feel like endless days in a torture chamber.
Floweryboots Welcome and that nausea is dreadful, you must have been very stoic. Do ask the midwife for meds, if you can't lead a halfway normal life it is probably a milder form of Hyperemesis anyway. You can get cyclazine over the counter but you'd have to send someone else as they wont give them over the counter to pregnant woman though they're proven safe. Do let us know how you get on.
Hope Evreyone's relatively OK today.
Lucinda
xx

LucindaE Mon 18-Feb-13 09:40:52

Waves Stupidly managed not to highlight your name.
Lucinda
xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now