Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hyperemesis Support

(992 Posts)
LucindaE Wed 09-Jan-13 18:32:37

We need a new thread.

I hope everyone suffering from the Horrors of Hyperemesis will find this thread useful as a source of support and information.

There's no TMI on here - can't be by definition - and nobody should feel ashamed of moaning as much as they feel the need to.

I used to include extracts from MOH's wonderful website
but I think that makes this link less visible so am merely putting the link. The information on this site is invaluable.

I would like to thank MOH MOP Ovaltine Caramellokoalalover (I think she's changed her nickname) Fluffy, Horsey Kali and Everyone who has given such invaluable support and advice on previous threads.

Remember when you are at your worst, 'This Too Shall Pass'. It really will.

BelleEtLaBaby Wed 13-Feb-13 18:41:01

Right, I'm having some Kate Rage and I need to vent it. I know this is uncharitable and not very sisterhood and all that but I'm all grr and I just need to let it out.

God her Hg doesn't look much like mine sad And I'd like to feel bad for her that her photos got taken. I kind of do: pregnancy is private and I would be gutted if someone put photos on fb or something without my permission. But she looks so looooooveeleeee and I looook liiiike craaap. And I'm in bed, losing weight and my hair (again) and she's in Mustique. I'd literally kill to be on a beach right now and for my only concern to be did someone take a photo of me. It's not fair <would stamp feet but it would make me throw up>

What effing magical medication have they got her on anyway that cured her hg in a matter of days? And why can't I have some??

Please tell me I'm being an unreasonable nutter. Those photos made me all weepy sad jealous much

hayleybootes Wed 13-Feb-13 18:54:40

Belle I am SOOOOO with you on the Kate thing. All of a sudden everytime I mention HG to anyone they say 'oh sickness like Kate had' I'm like 'Nooooooo, Kate came out after a couple of days and afterwards was having her pictures taken, she was going out walking and I was actually DYING' I couldn't have walked around anywhere and probably won't be able to this time either once it's in full swing.
You are NOT an unreasonable nutter, or you might be and I might be too smile

LucindaE Wed 13-Feb-13 19:29:02

Belle I think everyone on here knows by now that I am anti monarchist, so I can't comment fairly on this, but remember, there are always expensive remedies for the rich and famous which don't filter down for years, and also, a bit of photoshop goes a long way. I'm sure you've seen those photos in magazines like 'Closer' of the rich and famous without it, and do they ever look bad at times! I'm sure you look lovely, pregnant women usually do, even if they don't think they do.Don't worry about house, it's your own and you'll make it great in a little while. Sorry you feel bad today.
Hayley and Kali I had initial problems with bonding lasting a few weeks because of a reason I don't usually go into as I don't want to frighten people on here- this is very unusual, I've only heard of it happening to about two e other people but my Hyperemesis came back for ten days after the birth. As I say, that was highly unusual but it was awful. I was in tears in hospital asking them how I was to breast feed when I couln't retain water and they just said it'd settle down in a day or so, gave me an anti vomiting injection and discharged me though it'd been going on for days by then and it took another week. It may have been made worse by a nasty infection in the stitches and a haemmorrage (sp), but I was very traumatised by it all. The bonding did happen gradually, but if I was so traumatised by about some weeks of being very ill and ignored when I had Hyperemesis early on, and those ten days, imagine how much more it must affect you if it goes on for months, as it did in your case.
I think it will all come in time, Kali but you are still probably in more of a state of shock than you realise. It's really good you went for counselling early
Hayley Hugs, it must have been awful.
Rocky Don't worry about tmi on here, no such thing. Foam, bile, phlegm, and liquids coming out of all orifices at once (that happened to me once; obviously not when dehydrated). Theee are jelly suppositories that help most people you can get over the counter from Boots. Don't tell them you are pregnant though because they can be so silly, though they are routinely used in hospitals.
(Fusses and clucks about ketones and kesosticks).
Littlemiss Thanks for kind words, that's sweet of you. The same Down's risk as someone ten years older than me at that time didn't help, either!
Lotta Hugs. OH should be glad he's not got Hypemesis, imagine if men had it.
Flo I think LittleMiss's advice about closing eyes is excellent - because I have huge veins I never feel it, totally insensitive, they could put needles in all day and I wouldn't notice. Pretend you have my huge veins as you close your eyes...
Littlemiss Was it you who was shivery? There's a virus going about, not serious, but causing violent shivering and flu-ey symtpoms for a few days and Rocky will like the idea of this - loose bowels. Might you have that?
Waves Are you OK?
Apologies to anyone rudely overlooked.

Lotta1234 Wed 13-Feb-13 19:44:29

Agree kate has made HG somehow look glamorous. I wish I had a stylist that would sort me out each day. Gosh I'm grumpy today. Surely tomorrow will be better ...

fl0b0t Wed 13-Feb-13 21:18:28

Aye about Kate. I have some bad sickness but not hg and I've looked and felt like shite! In Milan for a hen do next weekend and It's all "dress to impress". I've not brushed my hair in 3 weeks!

Believe it or not, I actually have nice big veins! I'm just stupid!

Eurgh! Despite being 19 weeks pg tomorrow, I definitely still have HG. I'm going to the GP in the morning as I'm about to run out of ondansetron. I'm praying that they will happily give me more. I'm not leaving without it. Goodness knows what I'll have to do to persuade them...

And if I hear one more comment about having a 'Royal affliction' or being 'just like Kate', I may have to gouge someone's eyes out.

Ended up at out of hours with ds last night, high temps, elevated heart rates, not able to keep fluids down - both of us dosed with ondansetron and liquid paracetamol, told i needed to keep down a litre of fluid or i'd end up in hospital, had hell of a night trying to sponge down DS and force feed him teaspoons of water, ans forcing myself to drink wrak Ribena. Feel like i've been run over by a truck this morning & ondansetron injection has worn off so threw up again an hour ago. No idea how we're going to get through today since DH cant take off from work sad

so yes i def sympathise with those feeling fed up and envy of Kate!! They shouldnt publish intrusive pics like those vut seriously...she's only about 3 weeks ahead of me! How is she well enough for Mustique and im having a hard time keeping bloody ribena down?! angry

reastie Thu 14-Feb-13 07:47:50

Lurking still with interest

littlemiss poor you, hope you manage to cope today

Was Kate ever actually diagnosed with HG though? I thought the palace just said 'servere ms' and the media turned it into HG (I know that doesn't help much as everyone now thinks it only lasts a few weeks)

Interested a number of you are on ondansetron. I was given avomine (which didn't work at all) and then cyclizine, which did help but I still felt awful. How good is this ondansetron stuff? I wonder if maybe I could get through another pg with better/more effective drugs! I wish there was something which would properly help. I remember wishing I could just go to sleep and wake up in a few months time!

reastie - took cyclazine with ds and in.pg that ended in mc and like you i found it did help tho i atill felt pretty awful. Didnt work at all with this pg tho so now im on prochloperazine and its a bit better. Some people seem to find ondansetron a wonder drug but lots of ladies i have spoken to have described it more like our experience of cyclazine - keeps persistent vomiting under cobtrol but you still dont feel great... Anyway i Think my lapse over last few days has unfortunately just been due to this virus, qhich has obviously hit me v hard with being pg and also cos im aure hg has me pretty run down. I am feeling v fed up with feeling so vile for last 8 weeks but 15 weeks tomorrow and stupidly holding on to the hope that the v worst days will soon be behind me.

LucindaE Thu 14-Feb-13 09:50:26

Littlemiess Poor you, that does sound bad. I do hope you manage to keep out of hospital, that temperature and having to care for a sick LO won't help for sure. Hugs.
Room Hello, and I am sorry it still lingers, I hope it goes off in a week as with some it stays until round the twenty week mark, and then disappears. This is bad , as I hoped you were a lot better.
Flo and Restie There seems to be a borderline between very bad ms and Hyperemesis - did she go in for fluids, as if so, it had to be Hyperemesis, or was it some other form of treatment? Flo for sure, you seem to have Hyperemesis to me yourself, with this level of sickness. I have suspected for some time GP's have artificially kept the numbers diagnosed down by being so reluctant to treat properly. Horifically, numbers of women still seem to suffer from dangerous levels of dehydration while not having urine properly checked so that they'd end up in hospital, etc.
I hope everyone is coping?

Lucinda - GP thinks it was bad case of norovirus and that caused high temp, vomiting, elevated pulse and dehydration. They usually tell you to just stay at home with paracetamol and fluid but the dehydration thing can be more serious for pg ladies and young kids so that's why they loaded us up with drugs last night. My arm is still so sore from that injection!! Typical...finally getting HG under control a bit and then come down with severe vomiting bug!!!
Flo - Totally agree, GP always writes me up as having 'severe nausea in pregnancy', not HG. Err, yeah. This is why I throw up 15 times a day without drugs and even with drugs i am constantly exhausted and ill. If it looks like HG and feels like HG...unfortunately it usually is HG whether or not GP says so, and it's really important for you to be as patient with yourself and remember how serious the illness can be as someone with an official diagnosis would be.

Hi all. littlemiss I am so sorry that you and your little one are so poorly. You have my sympathy re the injection. My bum is STILL sore from having ondanstron injections in hospital sad

I got the call from the pharmacy yesterday to say my ondansetron suppositories had arrived, so dragged myself up there. Got home and realised there was only 1! Well, I have used that this morning, but still been sick today, although only 3 times. I called the pharmacy to check, and they accidentally ordered only 1, so I now have to wait until SATURDAY for more to arrive. Starting to feel quite desperate as I just want to stop being sick, and start to feel at least vaguely healthy.

I do however now have a little bump which is nice, as it kind of reminds me that I am pregnant, and not just being sick for no reason. My friends are getting quite worried, as I am naturally small anyway, so losing weight isn't something I want/need to do even in perfect health.

At least my HG is officially recognised by my consultant, although as has been mentioned, the whole Kate Middleton thing makes people think it is in some way glamorous - I've been told "oh trust you to go and get the princess disease". Hardly glamorous when your wee looks like stagnant pond water, there are permanently bits of vomit in your hair, and moving around sets off retching!

Hope others are getting on ok-ish

Poor you waves, having to wait for your meds to arrive again sad Hope you do start to feel better v soon - I feel you in the non glam stakes, I really don't think I could look worse if I tried at the minute!!

LucindaE Thu 14-Feb-13 13:30:06

Waves This is outrageous - if you phone the hospital consultant, say, or your gp, as they know how much you need the drugs, can they get something done? Poor you and 'only' three times is not at all good. Surely they can get them from another chemists before them or phone the prescription through? as if you haven't been ill enough! angry
Littlemiss For sure it is, and mother hen wants you to watch out for them there ketones (cluck cluck). I've long been under the impression that a lot of Hyperemesis is passed off as 'severe ms' as you say. No wonder if is such a neglected area.

fl0b0t Thu 14-Feb-13 13:41:14

Eek sounds like a bad week all over.

I think technically I don't classify as hg as I can keep fluids disbanded stay hydrated? Medically, I'm technically "fine" which makes sense and yet is baffling too because I feel so bad!

Today I'm ok which is great! I've been out for a walk which I'm pleased about, but sofa afternoon now sad

lucinda there simply is none of the medication on the island (rarely prescribed as we are a relatively small population, and very few women it seems get to the stage of needing suppositories instead of oral tablets), so I have to wait for it to come from mainland UK sad I have my ketostix now so as soon as the ketones misbehave I'll be straight on the phone to the ward.

BelleEtLaBaby Thu 14-Feb-13 16:22:37

I can't figure out why people are dismissing hg as "just" severe morning sickness. Dsil asked dh on the phone last night why I was off work if I just had severe morning sickness. Dh put her straight - how many times a day, every day, would she vomit before signing off work? Just because I'm pg doesn't mean I don't notice I feel awful. He really set her straight and I was very proud. He's great. If it were called 'severe vomiting' no-one would question it/how serious it really was/wether you should be taking time off work. So why isn't severe pg vomiting given the same gravitas!? Grr.

Am all ragey still today. I think I'm thoroughly fed up. Glad to have got some sympathy on the Kate thing. When it first happened, I thought, well this will surely raise awareness. But she just bounced back and looks great and it's almost worse now as I feel like everyone's looking at me thinking I'm milking it because they use her as a reference point for hg.

Three voms so far today. Yesterday really took it out of me sad How are we all doing?

Waves boo to your chemist. Fx they get the meds in for you. It's annoying when that happens, isn't it. You sound a little more upbeat - are you feeling any more optimistic?

hayleybootes Thu 14-Feb-13 18:25:57

Lucinda It came back after birth.......You poor thing!!!!! Sounds like you had a bad time too.
Belle I just wish everyone could have HG just for 2 days, just so they could know the difference between morning sickness and HG (not being able to swallow without throwing up!!) The dehydration is the worst. What gets me is when you tell people how ill you are and they say 'Oh yeah I had really bad morning sickness as well, it's not nice is it?' Not nice????????? It's EVIL!! I'm a bit stressy too today sad
LittleMiss feel better soon, i could not imagine having a virus on top of HG, big hugs smile
Waves the best thing about losing weight with HG is that your bump comes along a little quicker and it does remind you that it's all worth it. I can't ait for my tummy to grow, there's nothing better than feeling the little one inside you moving around (not too much though it used to make me sick lol)

I have definitely had my first taste of HG in this pg, it's on its way, i'm just over 5 weeks and it usually kills me by 6. Everytime i've felt a little hungry today the nausea has taken over, everytime I do something that takes a little energy I feel like i'm going to throw up and pass out. I remember this well......this is the beginning.....i'll keep you updated. I've had good and bad days but this has been my first day of feeling nausea for the whole day.
Hope everyone else is attempting to cope I know you're all in the latter stages of HG so i have masses of sympathies for you all x

LucindaE Thu 14-Feb-13 19:22:53

Hayley Poor you, I do so feel for you with this foul thing building up and dreading that first puking. I think you said they'd got cyclezine prescribed, but presumably will change the meds at short notice if they don't work properly? I have only known that recurrence after birth happen to one other person on here, so I don't talk about it much as it sounds so discouraging to others. Mostly, it stops with twenty-four hours, the ironical thing being that mine had gone if I followed a bland diet, save for awful chronic residual heartburn that sometimes made my vomit, by week fifteen. I think anemia from blood loss, some unusual infection in the stitches and violent contractions every time I tried to suckle didn't help shock.
Waves I didn't realise you lived on an island. That must be the downside. Belle I'm so glad OH put SIL right on it. Only, indeed...fume, fume...
Flo If you have persistent nausea, you can easily get dehydrated, so mother hen is concerned anyway.
Littlemiss How are you both (or should I say, all three) doing?
Hugs all round.

Just wanted to pop by and let you know that seeing the different GP this morning was a good thing! He absolutely did not question that I should have ondansetron if it is working. He was concerned that without it I still vomit everything given that I'm 19 weeks now. He said that the HG may disappear but even if it does then it is likely to come back quite badly in late pregnancy if I'm still this bad now. I'm really glad that tomorrow is an INSET day and then it's half term. Hopefully I'll get a bit more rest and get on top of things again.

Does anyone know how Reebok is doing?

hayleybootes Fri 15-Feb-13 09:19:24

Room That's excellent news!! I had HG badly on both preganancies, it left me about 29 wks, well the vomiting did. I then got into a set routine of drinking 2 litres of squash a day and eating set foods at set times. It never went completely, I still felt faint and nauseaus all the time and still had occassional severe vomit days but I was able to go and do things, not too much though. It didn't come back after that though so it may not come back in late pg. Get some rest and try and take your mind off it, as difficult as it sounds.

Lucinda After my first baby was born I was being sick constantly for about 4 hours but that was the end of it, I had to then concentrate on the agony of the stitches sad I'd forgotten all about the being sick. Us women are so strong to deal with what we go through!

Woke up with a migraine this morning, was in agony!! Took some co-codamols and went back to bed. Better now!! Are you allowed to take co-codamol in pregnancy? When I woke up with the migraine I was in so much pain I didn't care I just had to get it gone!!

Hope everyone is doing well today.

LucindaE Fri 15-Feb-13 09:54:30

Hayley I Googled it - it says 'in pregnancy only on dr's recommendation' which almost certainly means you can get away with it, because they are ultra careful. Remember you can't even get Cyclezine over the counter when pregnant, though that one's been proven safe by decades of research. To get reassurance, it might be an idea to phone NHS direct, though, if you are worried. I never heard of that particular one - it sounds like it helped you a lot.
How is the sickness today? I'm glad it went off normally after your last pregnancy, that's somehthing that went riight, for sure!
Reebok was a lot better when last heard of, had turned the corner after being in bed ill for weeks and was resting ready to return to work. I clucked and told her not to rush back.
Room Sounds like a good GP, that, as if he'd done some research into it. smile.
Littlemiss How are things? and Waves Belle and Everyone?

fl0b0t Fri 15-Feb-13 11:08:38

Good news about the Dr Room smile

I had an ok day yesterday so took the good out of it and stuffed myself with a well baked camenbert, walnut bread, steak and sweet potato chips any a tiny glass of champagne. I ate more than I have for weeks, and suffered after it!

Had my booking in today- thanks all for the pep talks- the midwife took my blood really well, the first time EVER that I've not had to lie down for 20 mins afterwards. And it was ok.

Not sure yet how I'm doing today.... smile

BelleEtLaBaby Fri 15-Feb-13 12:31:27

Morning all. Well, I am finding it really hard to actually eat anything now. It's literally like forcing each mouthful round my mouth for ages then forcing it down. This was a sign of dehydration last time so I'm being very careful and I going to test my ketones when I get up. It's just suddenly become really hard to eat: like my body is rejecting the food before it even goes in. I barely touched my tea last night (pork chop - which lately has been the only thing I've really wanted to eat) and some veg but I just couldn't do it sad

DH is fretting and bringing me all sorts of tasty little snacks to try and tempt me but it all just feels like its clogging up my throat and sticking. And most of it is coming back up as soon as I move so I'm just staying in bed all day until ds gets home from nursery. That way I'm throwing up on the way downstairs and the way back up, and limiting the rest, and I'm keeping fluid down this way. I'm so fed up. I've got my scan next Friday and I should be excited but its at 9:00 am and I'm absolutely dreading getting there sad

Sad face today sad

fl0b0t Fri 15-Feb-13 15:30:03

Belle that sounds crappy. Just get some rest I guess? sad

Yesterday I must have overdone it because I am suffering today. Lying on the sofa crying will fix it right?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now