Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hyperemesis Support

(992 Posts)
LucindaE Wed 09-Jan-13 18:32:37

We need a new thread.

I hope everyone suffering from the Horrors of Hyperemesis will find this thread useful as a source of support and information.

There's no TMI on here - can't be by definition - and nobody should feel ashamed of moaning as much as they feel the need to.

I used to include extracts from MOH's wonderful website
https://sites.google.com/site/pregnancysicknesssos/
but I think that makes this link less visible so am merely putting the link. The information on this site is invaluable.

I would like to thank MOH MOP Ovaltine Caramellokoalalover (I think she's changed her nickname) Fluffy, Horsey Kali and Everyone who has given such invaluable support and advice on previous threads.

Remember when you are at your worst, 'This Too Shall Pass'. It really will.

LucindaE Sun 10-Feb-13 09:14:05

Lotta Sorry you feel foul, this is the worst time, unfortunately, with those horemones sky rocketing, and a great idea to get the meds changed.
Waves How are you? Did you leave the surgery on a stretcher again (oh no!)
I'm glad you retained some of your dinner.
Belle Isn't week ten the week where the placenta is meant to take over the hormone production, or something, which can help some a bit, I don't know why. I hope the improvement continues.
Littlemiss*New joiners* I hope not too bad?
Lucinda
xx

fl0b0t Sun 10-Feb-13 14:15:26

waves sorry to hear you're in hosp again but you will get the carer you need there!

I've had a couple of ok days- and enjoyed having friends over for husbands birthday yesterday. I totally overdid it (stayed up til 11)and lay awake til 1am. I then slept in til 11am, and since getting up I've mostly cried so far today. It's made me feel so much more reassured that I'm not well enough to go back to work Monday. I have requested to be signed off until Friday 15th (when I get my booking in appt) and was starting to feel like maybe I was dragging it out a bit and should go back this week. One half day of having 6 friends over has left me in such a state. Poor husband currently washing up wine glasses and dirty takeaway leftovers whilst I go back to bed with a stinking headache and just two hot cross buns inside me sad

LucindaE Sun 10-Feb-13 14:40:20

Flo Ah, you are pushing yourself too much, it takes a long time to get over the debilitating effects of this, weeks. Most people force themselves back to work too early and feel foul and sometimes have to go off again, as the fatique starts of the sickness violently again, so don't rush back. I'm glad you enjoyed party, anyway, and not having to clean up.
Waves How are you now?
Lucinda
xx

waves - sorry ur back in again, hope they look after you thanks

Im thoroughly in the doldrums ladies! it has been cold, grey and relentlessy rainy for 2 days straight so DS going stir crazy but cold i've been fighting all week has moved into my chest so not in the best form to entertain him - every time i cough i wretch and threw up my whole lunch which i was actually hungry for and had actually spent 20 mins making but was straight back up about 30 seconds after i swallowed last forkful confused plus some combination of conjunctivitis/coughing/wretching has given me heaps of broken blood vessels in my eyes. I am a flipping shivery, coughing, pukey, stuffed up sick mess. Sorry rant over...just getting fed up! Ready to start 'glowing' any day now...

Hope everybody's well - sorry not to name check today, thinking about you all x

fl0b0t Sun 10-Feb-13 17:20:43

Ah, "glowing" is that not just a myth?
I can't believe how quickly I wiped back out again. I feel as bad as a week ago- I was stupid to think I might be over the crest. Worst thing is that friends saw me looking well yesterday and they don't see the fall out.

snowshine sorry you're suffering with everything sad

BelleEtLaBaby Sun 10-Feb-13 17:44:36

Glowing with sweat after vomiting, maybe? ;)

LucindaE Sun 10-Feb-13 18:57:27

Littlemiss Oh dear, that sounds miserable. Are you on antibiotics, or avoiding them unless you must? Ice cubes can help coughing, I was told by some alternative practitioner...How awful, all that effort on the food and straight up again. You feel as if you might just as well cook food and throw it straight down the loo to begin with hmm.
Flo Poor you, that does happen when people on here feel a bit better, they go overboard but try and rest as much as you can today and you could well feel the benefit tommorow.
Belle Lol smile.
*Waves' How are things?
Hope everyone is managing.
Lucinda
xx

LucindaE Mon 11-Feb-13 08:55:30

waves Are you still in hospital? How are you now, if that isn't a silly question?
Lucinda
xx

fl0b0t Mon 11-Feb-13 11:34:47

After a second 13 hour sleep (and some naps) I'm back to feeling how I was last week (very nauseous, pretty tired but okish), thank goodness for that.

waves how are you getting on? xx

BelleEtLaBaby Mon 11-Feb-13 11:42:49

Ok, I'm sorry if this triggers nausea in anyone, but: does anyone else feel like they've got thick cloggy mucus at the back of the throat all the time since getting HG? It's partly contributing to me being sick: it makes me heave when coughing, and quite often I bring that up and that causes me to fully vomit, iyswim. I saw this mentioned somewhere else and wondered if it was a hg thing, or it might be linked to my asthma.

fl0b0t Mon 11-Feb-13 11:48:25

YES! In the morning in particular I wake up with a blocked nose and "thick throat" - the throat stays all day. It tastes kindof... like when you have a throat infection (a bit gross) and makes me feel like gagging! My mum had it too when pg with me! I don't cough at at with it, it just sits there at the top of my throat, making me feel gross! I don't have asthma, so it's not just you!

belle - the mucus thing has only really been bothering me since the cold took a hold in my chest and now the constant coughing has me constantly wretching. Very gross and totally fed up with it, as i'm sure you and flo both are too angry

Hi, I am out of hospital now, and been prescribed ondansetron suppositories (bleurgh) but there aren't any in stock so have to hang on til Wednesday. I've had 7 litres of fluids through me and countless injections so fingers crossed I'll survive til Wednesday!

It's definitely curtains on my marriage though, no question at all, and consequently feeling a bit fragile. He's moving out in a month, once I have found a lodger to help pay the mortgage. For now, it's a day at a time and I'm so hoping that the new meds start to work on Wednesday.

Life sucks sometimes!

LucindaE Mon 11-Feb-13 18:12:35

Waves Sending hugs if you want them. I am so sorry, this is a horrible stroke from fate. You do strike me as being very strong - so I'm confident you will come through this unfairness, still undefeated. I am very angry with your OH angry,I would like to hold his head under a cow's behind - but my ranting does no good. How ridiculous there isn't a supply of the meds somewhere nearby which could be ordered by phone - I take it they do realise how much you need them? I wonder they don't prescribe the suppository form more often, it seems to make sense. I do hope these work for you and you can stave of those ??@@! ketones until Wednesday.
Flo Littlemiss I remember a horrid mucus, and bringing it up, too,but it only came sometimes, and weirdly didn't seem to interfere with the heightened sense of smell.
Lucinda
xx

reastie Mon 11-Feb-13 18:56:02

Hello all, first of all sorry you're all on the thread and suffering sad .

I just have a question I don't know where else to ask really and hope some of you will be able to help. I'm not pg but I have a DD who is nearly 2. When I was pg I had an awful time, was signed off work pretty much the entire pg and felt awfully sick to the point of pretty much being bed ridden for months and didn't leave the house for months aside from medical appointments. It was impossible for anyone else to understand how dreadful I felt and it was the most hardest thing I've ever gone through (especially as I have emetophobia), yet what I went through is not a patch on how some of you suffer.

I'm thinking about future potential DC. I always ruled out having any more because of my awful experience with pg. I just wondered how many of you have had hyperemesis before yet go through pg again? How many of you would never have another DC because of it? How you feel about not having another DC because of hyperemesis? I honestly don't know if I could be pg again but I don't want to regret it when I'm old if I have discounted another child because of it. I just really would like some perspective from you all. I know you might be different with different pgs, but I have a history with reacting in this way to hormones so in my case I know chances are it will be very similar. Honestly, it's impossible for people to truly understand if they haven't been through it, and at the time if one more person suggested I tried a ginger biscuit I think I would have thrown them out of a window wink

Lotta1234 Mon 11-Feb-13 19:53:26

reastie I had it in my first pregnancy, was off for four weeks and sickness went by middle of second trimester. Have found it much harder this time around with a two year old. And was hopeful that there would be some meds that would work but still playing trial and error. Saying that the tablets I've tried have stopped the vomiting and dizziness, just not the constant nausea. I'm also gutted that today I was signed off and means I'm going to miss out on delivering an amazing project at work. I'm not sure I'll have anymore DC but I am glad we're going to have a second child and figure the grimness of HG is worth it.

reastie - i had HG with DS (now 2.5), then again with last pg (mc at 10 weeks) and then agaun now (14 weeks along). I am really struggling with work and looking after DS and i had a few weeks where i couldnt get out of bed. Im slowly getting better, good days&bad days still, but better than before. I def wont say it's easy and this is def last time going through this but i figure a few months of feeling lousy is worth it to complete family and hav a little bro or sis for DS. Its a v personal decision tho, and i'm only really able to do it because i get great help from DH, mil and my mum plus i hav some v supportive work colleagues. Good luck whatever you decide tho

waves - good to get an update, glad ur rehydrayed and will be getting some new meds. Sorry to hear about soon to be EXH but glad you're moving forward, you've been so string over last few weeks dealing with all the diff pressures on you im.certain you'll be strong enough to handle anything now xx

reastie Mon 11-Feb-13 21:07:59

Thank you lotta and littlemiss that really helps. I think the emetophobia makes the thought of it ten times worse to me. When I was pg with DD I really did feel like I lived hour by hour day by day I felt so bad, and I have a feeling looking after a toddler won't exactly help matters hmm . Plus, I had nausea all the way through being pg, although it was at its worst in the first 20 weeks.

Lotta1234 Mon 11-Feb-13 21:11:16

Might be too much information but this is weird. Swallowed my pregnacare vitamin tablet and then threw up all my dinner. (New tablets, Stemetil, don't seem to be working.) Freakily the tablet wasn't
in my sick. How on earth can that happen?!?

Waves am glad to hear you're out of hospital. X

hayleybootes Mon 11-Feb-13 21:27:37

Hi everyone,
I am around 5 wks pg and it is my third pregnancy. My eldest is 7 and my youngest 3, they are both girls. I suffered extreme hyperemesis in both pregnancies, in fact worse in my 2nd pregnancy. This thread helped me through both pregnancies. I am unable to have any form of contraception as I suffer from sever migraines and I have had to have every form of it taken from me, I was advised not to have any more children and had just been to a consultant regarding sterilisation as the HG was so bad and I said i would never ever do it again. Still......accidents happen. I spent so much of both pregnancies in hospital on IV fluids and trying out so many different types of medication (nothing could take away the vomiting) that I am so worried, it is on my mind 24/7 that I am going to be so ill again. I also suffered extreme post natal depression which lasted around 2 years due to the HG.
So far I am feeling fine but I remember thinking i'd escaped it last time but then by the 6th week I was in hospital.
Somebody please reassure me that they've had it in some pregnancies and not in others!!!! Please!!!
Thank you smile

kalidasa Tue 12-Feb-13 08:30:15

Sorry to read of everyone having a hard time. Waves hope the suppositories are helping. Can't remember if you were on ondansetron already, but if not, do treat proactively for constipation. The drug basically works by preventing anything from moving in either direction in your digestive tract!

hayley I'm really interested by your post as I've just been diagnosed with PND. My baby is 10 weeks old. I wonder how common PND is after hyperemesis - perhaps especially the more severe cases and perhaps HG that lasts right to the end of the pregnancy is a bigger risk factor? I had severe SPD too (was in a wheelchair by the end) and feel as if I entered the newborn phase with no physical or emotional reserves at all, even though the birth itself was fine.

Have been hesitant about mentioning the PND as don't want to depress those who are pregnant. But it would be good to know what if anything women with HG can do to try to avoid a tough time afterwards as well.

hayley - i feel terrible for you hayley, just know we will all be here for you. I do know that if you have HG and a history of PND they will prob offer you ante natal counselling which friends of mine have found v helpful so ask for whatever support you need.

kalidasa - i didnt have full blown pnd with DS but after a tough pg and a difficult delivery i was at a v low ebb physically and emotionally and i do think there is a link between hg&pnd. I really think a good support system for during pregnancy and first weeks after baby is born is so important.

How is everyone today? I dont feel as pukey but this chesty cough is not going away and it is still making me wretch a lot. Argh! Not fun confused

Hi everyone, I'm pleased to be out of hospital, but my medication isn't arriving until tomorrow at the earliest, so it's a sicky day for me. I've been on ondansetron for 3 weeks now (oral tablets which I've been bringing up, and injections during the hospital admissions), so will definitely look into getting something for constipation. TMI alert, but I did my first poo in 10 days yesterday and it really hurt sad

reastie I was sick but not badly with DS, then had HG with DD - she will be nearly 8 when this little one arrives, and I think I really needed that break to get myself into a head space where I could contemplate another! It didn't help that DS was only 8 months old when DD was conceived, so I had to manage looking after a baby, as well as the HG. At least this time the DCs are older and a lot more independent, as well as being able to help me out!

I'm seeing the consultant next Thursday and hoping that I stay at home until then! I've been in 3 times now, although this admission was less stressful as I called the ward and went straight there from home.

And now my husband wants to try to work on things again, so it is all a bit of a confusing time for me... Main plan for the next few days is to stay laying down as that stops me being quite so sick!

hayleybootes Tue 12-Feb-13 10:35:14

Thank you for the support everyone!

Kalidasa - during my second pregnancy I had a really tough time, the guilt i felt for my eldest who was 3 at the time was difficult to deal with. She was very unsettled and was crying most of the day at nursery as she didn't like mummy being in hospital all the time. When I was 7 months pregnant she got internal chicken pox, not only was her whole body covered but the whole of her insides too, she couldn't eat or drink and was in hospital for a week on IV fluids, we were in the same hospital but because I was on a maternity ward I wasn't allowed to see her due to the risks of the newborn babies in the ward. I felt i really let her down by having another baby and think i resented the pregnancy from then on. The labour was long because the ward was under staffed and when she was eventually born and they told me she wasn't breathing and they had to take her away I just remember having no emotion, my husband was crying and i was reassuring him that it didn't matter. Thankfully she was fine. When I got home from the hospital I went straight back to work as I couldn't be around her and wasn't too interested in bonding with her, I blamed her for ruining the relationship between my husband and I and between my eldest and I. I saw the HV, filled in the forms regarding the PND and didn't answer honestly. My advice to anyone would be to ask for help if you feel you need it. HG definitely caused the PND and I have researched it before and the risk of getting PND is hugely increased if you suffer HG.
I was diagnosed with PND when I had a breakdown a year ago, I had suffered in silence for such a long time. I have overcome this though and am in an extremely happy place, however at 5 weeks pg I am petrified and just waiting for HG to strike......

I feel nauseaus today but have been given cyclizine in preparation of the HG, not that it will work. Trying to keep fluids up but have a craving for tea, probably not the best drink sad

LittleMissSnowShine - Thank you so much, I hope your cough goes soon, sound awful to have a cough with HG. Nice to know there are people that understand.

Lotta1234 Tue 12-Feb-13 10:35:54

Waves Gosh that's a lot going on. The priority right now has to be you and your health. If husband wants to help then good as the more support the better. But completely up to you what happens now. Just glad to hear that the doctors and husband are treating you better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now