Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hyperemesis Support

(992 Posts)
LucindaE Wed 09-Jan-13 18:32:37

We need a new thread.

I hope everyone suffering from the Horrors of Hyperemesis will find this thread useful as a source of support and information.

There's no TMI on here - can't be by definition - and nobody should feel ashamed of moaning as much as they feel the need to.

I used to include extracts from MOH's wonderful website
https://sites.google.com/site/pregnancysicknesssos/
but I think that makes this link less visible so am merely putting the link. The information on this site is invaluable.

I would like to thank MOH MOP Ovaltine Caramellokoalalover (I think she's changed her nickname) Fluffy, Horsey Kali and Everyone who has given such invaluable support and advice on previous threads.

Remember when you are at your worst, 'This Too Shall Pass'. It really will.

Belle - I know, I know, and all I can say is it really does suck! Like yours, mine is a very much wanted and planned for baby and I've already been through HG so I knew what to expect but that doesn't stop me feeling so down some days and really wondering how I'm going to cope if the symptoms don't alleviate for rest of pg. I'm struggling to make it into work and I work in such a tiny organisation that I hate taking the time off, struggling to properly look after DS aside from just putting CBeebies on - no fun trips to the park or going swimming or even to the shops. Misery!!!

We'll get through it all, though. Even though it feels very long and slow. A baby is an amazing addition to your family for a whole lifetime and HG is just an absolute bugger for a few months. Hang in there xx thanks

flobot - congrats on telling the family smile and interesting to hear about your mum! My mum had nothing like that so god knows where on earth i've got it from lol Like your DH mine is being kept at arms length - didn't want to risk dtd during first 12 weeks cos of mc and then erpc which can weaken your cervix so we both just felt it was a bit risky and then the HG has just put me off the whole idea of dtd so until it starts to lift a bit DH can have a lot of cold showers!!!

BelleEtLaBaby Thu 07-Feb-13 08:13:12

Hiya <limply waves>

You are all luffly, thank you. Crap day yesterday. And today I've run out of meds and have started bringing up the good old Mystery Bitter Yellow Stuff.

Mil went to get my cyclizine yesterday and boots had run out so they've ordered it in this morning. She'll be back at 12 so until then I'm clinging onto the bed for dear life and trying to eat a turkey sandwich so at least I've got something in my tummy to bring up! I HATE the Mystery Bitter Yellow Stuff. I'd much rather bring up food!

How's everyone feeling today? Xx

Belle - When I was a student and liked to drink err more than a few shandies I used to copiously throw up the mystery yellow stuff confused Then I got pg and got hg and was like...hello yucky stuff, my old friend. Bah! It's horrible! Can't believe Boots didn't have your meds - don't they understand how many women are only hanging onto their sanity and stomach lining by their finger tips and really need these tablets to go on. STOCKPILE OUR DRUGS!!

LucindaE Thu 07-Feb-13 09:25:58

LittleMiss Waves Belle Flo That bile is so disgusting! I found I seemed to manufacture so much of it, too - and the less there is in the stomach in the way of food, the more acid it is. So then I'd get desperate about the heartburn and I'd resort to a teaspoonful of bicarbonate of soda in water (salty, no doubt regarded as terrible) and that produced the stangest, most sinister foam in turn. A real series of conjuring tricks. shock
Waves I'm sending you gentle cyber pats, as you say, a hug won't do if you're still hooked up to all that equipment. How do you feel now? How awful for you to have been stretchered out again, do give details when you can. Mother hen was very anxious that those ketones had crept up high again.
Belle It's shocking about the cyclezine - but I think they should have done more, you need those drugs. Why didn't they ring though to another branch/chemist? It's meant to be available over the counter - did it sell out because of that norvo virus thing? I hope t hat Turkey stayed put.
How is Evryone today?
Lucinda
xx

fl0b0t Thu 07-Feb-13 11:09:28

Yet again I'm yet to venture out of bed to find out how I am (I'm sure I wouldnt be sick if I never had to get up). Yesterday was quite good- I had a couple of friends visit so got to tell them my good news and I felt very blessed for having such lovely friends and a bit of a weight lifted. I also managed to avoid being sick (though retched copiously) all day and ate a bit smile

I'm currently signed off until tomorrow but not feeling brave enough to try work next week- do I need to make an appt to see my doctor to get my sick note extended or can I just phone up and ask?

Hope you're all feeling ok?

Hi all, back home in my own bed with no painful needles in me and no injections. My ketones are still up but I'm rehydrated so they have sent me home with oral ondansetron to take 4 hourly.

Wasn't a stretcher job from the GP this time, my husband drove me and so he was told to take me straight up to hospital which was less scary.

Feeling so, so down today. I think I'm starting to develop an aversion to food altogether as I'm so scared of being sick. Laying in bed and not moving helps a bit, but I'm due back to work next Thursday and have no idea how I'll cope. At the same time, I am so scared of going back into hospital, mainly because it took such a long time to get the venflon into a vein, as they couldnt find one that was strong enough, evidenced by the bruising from the collapsed veins that were left in the wake of the hunt for one that would take the needle. I wish I could fall asleep now and wake up in 5 months with my baby in my arms.

It's such a horrible cycle, and because my ketones aren't coming down, that is making me feel sick, and because I feel/am being so sick, they aren't going to come down are they?

If one more person mentions ginger I am actually going to bawl my eyes out.

fl0b0t Thu 07-Feb-13 11:47:49

waves that sounds horrible (I also have dreams of just sleeping until I give birth, and also have a fear of getting out of bed in case I'm sick).

Glad you're home now- I don't think going back to work sounds like a very good idea though.....

LucindaE Thu 07-Feb-13 11:58:06

Waves Poor you, a very gentle hug on offer. My goodness, don't try and go back to work when you are in the in-and-out-of-hospital stage. The GP will surely extend your sick note, after your two dramatic exits from the surgery shock.I should think OH was mpressed? This is just as Kalidasa had it, and it's so miserable. Hang on, time does pass, you are out of the first tri now, at least. Keeping my fingers crossed Ondansetron does the job.
Flo I'[m so glad your friends are supportive. Does moving very slowly, if you have to move, help (isn't it sad, one might as well be ancient)? I think you can just phone up for a sick note renewal and it be collected for you. You shouldn't have to suffer that wait in the surgery in your state.
Belle How are you? Have you got the meds yet?
Thinking of Everyone.
Lucinda
xx

BelleEtLaBaby Thu 07-Feb-13 12:33:48

Well it's all disaster here. Mil comes back from chemist with : wrong drugs! Cock up at the doc meant they gave her my Clexane prescription instead and that's what they had run out of. She's gone out now to get my new prescription and fill it, but insisted on calling the pharmacy first. She's in a big huff about going out again. I feel really bad but its not like I can go sad

BelleEtLaBaby Thu 07-Feb-13 13:14:32

Right, I have my pills. God I feel dreadful sad

LucindaE Thu 07-Feb-13 13:42:31

Belle Oh no! That is maddening! Here's hoping that they work . I doon't want to be mean about your MIL, but she should be grateful that she can eat and drink, and go out, and luxuries like that...
Lucinda
xx

Sorry belle sad Not exactly helpful from your MIL really but i suppose sometimes people aren't particularly gifted with empathy and find it hard to see what it must be like to be in this situation. I'm always telling myself that (through gritted teeth lol) when people ask me if I'm not over the sickness YET? Cos of course i'm past 12 weeks now and other people are over their MORNING SICKNESS (no not HG!) by now. Grr!!

waves - yes it does sound better if you stay off from work. I'm managing to go in and out but not doing full days and only because i get a lot of support from other staff who all know what's wrong with me. How are things with your DH atm?

flobot - Yes GP signed me off initially for a fortnight and then told me just to ring whenever i want my sick line extended and someone else can pick it up for you. Glad seeing friends cheered you up - I've seen a few friends over the last fortnight and girls in work too and even tho it might seem like a lot of effort getting dressed and trying to hold a conversation i def found it cheered me up.

Hope everyone is doing well. I am absolutely staggered by a horrible cold, making it hard to sleep, coughing fits making me wretch, nothing i can really take. Misery! Had physio at hospital today too cos of my poor wrecked pelvic floor which seemed to have sorted itself out post-DS but is giving me trouble again now. It never rains ladies...!

BelleEtLaBaby Thu 07-Feb-13 19:25:48

It's not really Mil's fault. I miscounted my pills and she tried to get them yesterday. She wasn't to know there was one missing.

Eugh, horrendous today sad

Hi all, Belle I hope that the tablets are helping.

I've not kept anything down today, and feeling awful. To top off a really bad day, "D"H has left. That's it, gone forever. So I now need to see a lawyer asap, despite this flipping hyperemesis. I am so, scared, and so sad. My DCs are being lovely, which is a huge comfort, but my head is spinning - there is so much that I need to arrange from a legal and financial point of view, and I just don't know how I am going to manage it all.

As littlemiss says, it never rains!

LucindaE Thu 07-Feb-13 19:36:33

Waves My goodness, I had a bad feeling about you,that's why I've been checking back repeatedly and fussing, but this! My goodness, what can I say? What a thing to happen when you are so ill. Can anyone come and stay with you? You must be in a state of shock. You know best, but he may not have gone for good, of course. I am outraged that he should walk out when you are so ill, but saying so doesn't help you.
Lucinda
xx

Thanks lucinda, and the fussing is appreciated. My DCs are snuggled up in my bed and once I have sorted out the washing I'll go snuggle up with them. It feels like it is all a bit too much to cope with at the moment, and it doesn't help that I'm still all sore from the various needles and injections! Just trying not to let everything overwhelm me, but it's hard when the vomiting is ongoing. I have an almost permanent state of pins and needles and am so, so cold despite wearing layers.

If he thinks he hasn't gone for good, my gut tells me that I shouldn't let him back anyway. What sort of character does this to their sick, pregnant wife?

LucindaE Thu 07-Feb-13 20:27:48

Waves Sending you hugs, poor you. This is really hard. You are right to try and get some sleep. I hope that Ondansetron kicks in and stops that puking on top of DH's sickening behaviour.
Lucinda
xx

waves - second what Lucinda says, hope your meds kick in and give you some relief though even if you'd been in perfect health i'm sure all of this would have been very emotionally draining. Look after yourself today xx

LucindaE Fri 08-Feb-13 09:25:55

Waves It would be a silly question to ask 'How are you?' this morning. Scrolling back down, I see that your Mother lives in travelling distance and calls round to support - that's a relief, anyway. Really feeling for you. If fate hands you something like these two things to deal with, it's only fair that you get some wonderful luck a bit later! Hugs.
Lucinda
xx

I've had a lawyer round already - I emailed last night and had a call at 8, and she came round at 9. If nothing else my mind is at ease regarding long term house issues (no court is going to see us on the street basically)

Was very sick overnight and nothing staying down this morning, so feeling physically terrible. But the DCs were fantastic this morning, fed all the pets, did just as they were told, and went off to school beautifully. I am so lucky to have such wonderful children.

STBXH texted me saying not to call him at work, he is fed up of my dramas, and it is not like I am even ill, I am just being sick hmm He is either being deliberately cruel, or is completely clueless, or is trying to rationalise and justify his behaviour. He has seen me hospitalised twice in 2 weeks, and seen the struggles with my veins, sees the bruises on my hands and arms from failed sitings, and has seen and heard me throwing up for a good 2 months, and collapsing regularly. Utter sod.

LucindaE Fri 08-Feb-13 10:49:10

Waves I am at a loss for words about OH's walking out at this time, the more puzzled as if you were ill before, he must have suspected what was coming. As you say, he's seen you hospitalised twiceand this must be rationalisation. I'm glad lawyer reassured you. I'm concerned Ondansetron doesn't seem to be doing the job, obviously the strain will make the sickness even worse. Oh dear, I have to repeat my usual thing even at this time - though no doubt you are more of an expert than me with all this - keep an eye on those ketones and phone dr's as an emergency if this goes on for more than twenty four hours. I'm so glad children are being good. Hugs.
Lucinda
xx

fl0b0t Fri 08-Feb-13 11:16:52

waves you must have the patience of a saint as I am absolutely fuming at your STBXH as his behaviour is just totally unfathomable. I feel like I'm dying most the time (and haven't even been to hosp!) and that's with no other children to look after and a husband fussing about me- so you have my utter admiration and respect!

Is there someone who can help you out a little- a friend or family member? Might be worth getting them over for a good old chinwag if you can because you need someone who can help out in case of emergencies sad

I had to go and fill in a "repeat prescription" form (and scribble all over it "renewal of sick note" at my drs this morning :-( It got me out of bed (so far vomit free) and I went for a little walk to and from doctors so right now not feeling my absolute worst.

Tomorrow is DH's birthday. We're having a bunch of friends over to watch the rubgy/ have beer and takeaway... It's going to be interesting. We might end up having to tell people, I might end up hiding in bed all day! Who knows?

CrikeeThree Fri 08-Feb-13 11:18:09

Hi everyone.
Not really felt like doing much last few days, even writing here.
But am just increduous at how you've been treated, waves and wanted to send you a big hug.
Just don't know what to say. Words completely fail me. Just: what an utter utter utter b*st*rd he is. I am so so sorry....

He spoke to me in hospital Tuesday night which gives me some insight. He is "disappointed" at how my pregnancy is progressing in terms of me being so poorly and having to go to hospital. His ex nearly died and they lost their first son at 38 weeks due to placental abruption, and then for the two subsequent pregnancies she was seen weekly. So, he said he was struggling with me being ill as he wanted to "just enjoy" this one. I don't think that is so much of an excuse though, not for what he has done.

FED UP that I can't keep the tablets down long enough for them to work. Am going to try to hang on til monday morning when I have my proper booking in appointment with the obstetrician (it's already 2 weeks late due to the hospital admissions).

Hope the birthday celebrations go well fl0, and that you survive ok!

fl0b0t Fri 08-Feb-13 12:21:33

Hm, I bet you're also disappointed, but can't leave yourself?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now