Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Hyperemesis Support

(992 Posts)
LucindaE Wed 09-Jan-13 18:32:37

We need a new thread.

I hope everyone suffering from the Horrors of Hyperemesis will find this thread useful as a source of support and information.

There's no TMI on here - can't be by definition - and nobody should feel ashamed of moaning as much as they feel the need to.

I used to include extracts from MOH's wonderful website
https://sites.google.com/site/pregnancysicknesssos/
but I think that makes this link less visible so am merely putting the link. The information on this site is invaluable.

I would like to thank MOH MOP Ovaltine Caramellokoalalover (I think she's changed her nickname) Fluffy, Horsey Kali and Everyone who has given such invaluable support and advice on previous threads.

Remember when you are at your worst, 'This Too Shall Pass'. It really will.

kalidasa Tue 05-Feb-13 16:00:41

You're right Lucinda - Kalidasa means literally "the servant of [the goddess] Kali". But it's also the name of a famous Sanskrit poet. Obviously I'm not a Sanskrit poet! But that's why I chose the name.

Thinking of everyone suffering. I was still throwing up in labour (all over the floor at one point - had no warning!) but not afterwards, and like belle when the breakfast trolley came round the next morning and the lady asked me what I wanted and listed the options, I said could I have all of them?

Reebok Tue 05-Feb-13 17:28:43

Congrats Kali on the birth of bubba! Glad to hear he is ok and sorry youve been unwell.

Guys I just wanted to give you a bit of hope that things could get better soon. I was 5 weeks when I was hit with HG. Im now 16+2 and no sickness for almost 5 days! I've managed to come off the meds minus ranitidine, am back at work and only suffer from little bouts of nausea when I'm hungry or have tried to eat something that doesn't agree with me. Granted I am on a restricted diet but I'm feeling more like myself most of the day and getting a little energy back! So hopefully HG will subside early for you all too. X

CrikeeThree Tue 05-Feb-13 17:53:18

That's great, Reebok
I was worried about you being back at work, as I can't imagine it right now.
Went to doctor yesterday, and she basically told me not to expect to go back before half term. Sat there sobbing. Don't know if it was guilt or relief (as I had no idea how I'd cope with marking/ planning... let alone teaching!!)

Today started well, in that I didn't throw up as I normally do. I was feeling almost positive, despite the nausea.
But still couldn't face eating.
And as I walked to nursery to pick up DSs, I had to stop to be sick everywhere. Nice!!

Good to be reminded that it stops eventually.... thanks everyone for all the stories and support... and... jsut being here!! smile

LucindaE Tue 05-Feb-13 18:17:25

Crikee Poor you, those Throwing up in the Street episodes are horrible! I'm glad you're still signed off.
Kalidasa A servant of the goddess, that's a great name! The Sanskrit poet I didn't know about at all...
Reebok What did Mother Hen always say, when things were at their worst? Cluck, Cluck, which translates as 'This Too shall Pass'. I'm so delighted that you are feeling as lot better, that's wonderful news, do pamper yourself, though, with as much rest as you can.
I hope everyone is coping.
Lucinda
xx

LucindaE Tue 05-Feb-13 18:21:02

Waves Forgot to say, I hope you weren't stretchered out this time, my goodness, but have they given you something else as those meds weren't doing an exactly brilliant job on the sickness?
Lucinda
xx

Reebok Tue 05-Feb-13 19:22:50

Lol Lucinda! Yes you were right! I can't thank you enough for all of your support without which, I know I couldn't have carried on! I will continue to be on this thread though to give much needed support to those still suffering.

Crikey, how far along are you? Definately don't go back until at least after half term if you are this bad! I waited until I was down to being sick twice a day as it became more manageable (but I was also forced back!) don't get me wrong...it's Definately not easy and there are still points where I wish I was home again but I am coping better now (and hopefully will continue to). Dont go back until YOU are ready...you may not feel ready at any point but don't allow school to make you feel guilty! It's just a job! (yes I went back but I had to for financial reasons unfortunately). Really hope it eases up for you hun very soon.

By the way lucinda, have you heard from room, peppa and nannyl? I do worry about them!

Hi, not such a smiley waves here. Back in hospital and hands and arms super sore as it took several attempts to get the cannula into a vein that didn't collapse!

Midwife listened in to the baby's heartbeat which was so lovely to hear.

Typing on phone left handed as cannula had to go in my right elbow so signing out for now....

CrikeeThree Tue 05-Feb-13 19:57:33

sorry waves you poor thing
Hope it gets better soon.

thanks Reebok
I actually took my sick note in today, and was told to rest as much as needed by the lovely lady in the school office. Also received the most beautiful email from a colleague telling me not to worry and that everyone was thinking of me.
I feel utterly blessed and lucky right now, despite the sickness/ nausea smile

Lotta1234 Tue 05-Feb-13 19:58:12

Waves, you poor thing. big, big hug.

Reebok Tue 05-Feb-13 20:11:26

Aww that's lovely! Glad you have such supportive staff crikey. Everyone is great at work too minus the head...that's where I received pressure from. She doesn't understand HG and thought it was just normal ms! Grr...yes I want to punch her too!

Waves, I'm sorry to hear you're so unwell but you are in the best possible place. Will say a prayer that you are feeling better soon.

racheld33 Tue 05-Feb-13 20:13:21

Hello all,
I am new to your thread (and was hoping i wouldn't need to join!)
I already have DS who is 2.5, for that pregnancy got horrific nausea/vomiting at 6 weeks, was hospitalised at 7 weeks and then on cyclizine (which limited the vommiting to 1-2 a day, even though I still had full time nausea till 24 weeks)
I am 6 weeks pregnant today and last night the dreaded sickness kicked in, up every hour on the hour vomitting (just like last time!!!). On cyclizine today (my lovely GP very sympathetic and happy to prescribe ASAP), but today have have horrific heartburn to add to the constant nausea plus my toddler to look after all day long.
My main question is about the heartburn, I didn't have this last time, and combined with the nausea, it's made me feel so miserable today. Has anyone else had heartburn so early with the hyperemesis? And if so has the GP given you anything to help this?
Also anyone got any advice on what to do with a toddler for the next 18 weeks?!?!?!?
Thanks xxxx

CrikeeThree Tue 05-Feb-13 20:22:05

Oh dear, rachel
I know how hard it is when you have toddlers to look after.
I will be in the same boat as you next week. Until then, my brilliant mother in law is staying.
Are there any friends you can confide in? I sometimes camp out at friends' houses for the morning/ afternoon, and that helps.
Any family that can come and stay?
Any toddler groups you can go to? (they helped my survive my haze of sleep deprivation in the early days of DS2, as DS1 was only 20 months old at the time... but I wasn't ill... jsut sleep deprived!)
Sorry. Not a lot of use am I?

Reebok Tue 05-Feb-13 20:28:56

Rachel, firstly welcome. I'm so sorry you have to join this thread but am sure it will help you through the tough days. I've had very horrible heartburn and acid reflux since the beginning and still suffer from ur despite the decline in HG. My doctor put me on ranitidine. It didn't work at first but is doing a slightly better job now. Apparently there is a better drug but my gp won't prescribe it as he is very anti meds during pregnancy. Hopefully you will have better luck.

You could also try tums, rennie spearmint or gaviscon. None of those worked on me and only made me feel sicker. If you can handle dairy (unlike me), try milk? Hope this has helped.

racheld33 Tue 05-Feb-13 20:46:59

Thanks crikee and reebok,
My mum is my only confident at the moment (not really got local friends who aren't at work in the week), so today I wanted to see how I got on alone, as she already helps with childcare for my 2 days at work at week, will try and find a group for us to go tomorrow morning!
Already been swigging gavison all day today, which doesn't seem to have made any improvement, not a milk fan with the nausea, so think will try the ranitadine.
Thanks for your advice xxxx

Thanks reebok! Even tho i know i did start to feel a bit more human after 14 weeks with DS im 13+5 now and still feeling like i've been run over by a truck so i can feel myself losing patience and hope!! I knew to expect hg but i think i'd forgotten just how bad it can be or i'd not really factored in coping with hg alongside toddler&work responsibilities but im learning the hard way i guess lol

Managed to give DS dinner&get him ready for bed by myself last night&going to attempt work, even for a few hours, today. Prob end up up bloody bed ridden again 2moro but got to keep trying!!

fl0b0t Wed 06-Feb-13 09:58:00

reebok great news- so pleased that you're feeling a bit brighter! Must be lovely!

waves sorry to hear you're in hospital, I hope they pump you full of lots of good things and perk you right up again.

Welcome rachel

I'm yet to find my drugs to have any effect and I'm trying to be patient at the moment.

It's been a mad couple of days- 2 visitors (FIL monday and my parents tues), we've told all close family and been for a cheeky early scan (I think I might be having a duck rather than a human baby according to scan picture!). I'm fucking exhausted, but glad they all know and can be supportive. SIL had some ms (but did tell me she felt much better going to work than "moping at home" (GRRR!)) but interestingly my mother was hospitalised at 7 weeks with hg and refused drugs or scans! She is badass (and possibly a mad old hippy). She did refuse to tell me exactly how long she was sick for when she had me (eek) but symptom wise seems we've been quite similar, including the thick mucus welling up in my throat which I found hard to explain- she had that too.

I'm sleeping well (drowsy from meds?) but would rather just sleep 24hrs to avoid being awake and feeling terrible!

hi all only 6 weeks preg ... Hg only started a week ago been on cyclazine and metoclopramide. But they arnt doing the job in hospital atm for my second overnighter since the wknd. Due to dehydration ... my gp told me (o try to get a ondensteron (zofran) . But I wondered hhow safe it is and if anyone is taking it ...

Lotta1234 Wed 06-Feb-13 10:24:51

rocky I've heard good things about Zofran. My medicine is definitely stopping the throwing up but not really touching the nausea.

Hi rocky, I'm on ondanestron, in hospital through IV or injection but will be taking the tablets when I leave this time as it seems to be best for me

LucindaE Wed 06-Feb-13 12:49:36

Oh, no Waves I was worried those ketones were going to put you in again. I do hope you are feeling a bit better on the drip, poor you? How dramatic leaving the surgery for hospital again!
RockyRoad Welcome, sorry that you are in hospital atm, lots of women on here have had a cocktail of drugs including maximum doses of Ondansetron and its used routinely in the US, it's quite safe, but it tends not to be used so much because of the expense, I believe. MOHs website I mention above gives lots of details about the safety of drugs for reassurance.
Rachel Welcome, I wish I could think of toddler solution, I honestly don't know how people cope when at their worst and looking after a toddler. I can only agree about toddler groups/playgroups. The good thing is of course, that they soon get over the period of having an out of it mother and having a companion more than makes up for it. I suffered from heartburn throughout, and it is miserable. Even when eating again my diet was really restricted because of it. So agree about the Ranatindine, as I found Gaviscon hopeless and milk only seemed to ease it for minutes sad.
Reebok It is so nice of you to give much appreciated help! It was a pleasure to encourage you. Nannyl is fine, blooming, when last heard of, and the last I heard of Peppa she was doing a lot better, but Room maybe one of us I should pm just in case.
Crikee I'm so glad colleagues are trying to understand!
Littlemiss So agree with Reebok, Don't force yourself to do the impossible. Fingers crossed that you will turn the corner soon.
Lotta Sorry about nausea.
Apologies to anyone rudely ignored.
Lucinda
xx

BelleEtLaBaby Wed 06-Feb-13 13:04:39

Hi all. Need a vent. My sense of humour has deserted me entirely and I'm so down today.

I feel like I can't complain, this is a very much wanted, planned and tried for baby. But my life has just imploded since hg again and I'm really feeling quite depressed. I'm not at work, and I've got a little (tiny) sideline business which has also ground to a halt- I make dresses, largely for friends/acquaintances. Ive got seven dresses (bridesmaids) for close friends due in may and i am terrified that im getting so behind. I can barely get out of bed or play with ds. We are about to move house any day now and I can't help. I'm just feeling very low and sorry for myself.

Dh is tired from looking after me and ds, I can barely cuddle him and I miss him. I loved the ttc bit but now I can't even face him in bed. I feel so... Lost.

Oh, someone cheer me up please? I've just been in bed crying all day and I'm really struggling.

LucindaE Wed 06-Feb-13 14:27:31

Belle Hugs! Poor you. I so admire you being able to sew enough to do it professionally, but that's by the by...It is such a strain on the whole family, it's terribly depressing, and I didn't even want OH too near because I thought he stank of roast pork(I should've put an apple in his mouth). You were doing wonderfully for humour a few days ago, but this does get to you, it's so isolating. Trying to think of something to raise a smile - I'm sure the joke about the two peanuts walking up the road - one was assaulted won't - did I tell you about how I projectile vomited on the wardrobe once (pasta bake) so that there were yuk - red bits of tomato still high up after I'd cleared up, and OH naively asked me 'What's that? It looks like paint'...Things will almost certainly get a lot better in the not too distant future. What meds have they got you on at the moment, did you say metraclopramide was one?
Lucinda
xx

Hugs for you from me too belle although not too hard on my part or the drip machine will start beeping saying check line occlusion downstream. Don't tell a soul, but I figured out how to get it working again by myself....naughty waves playing with hospital equipment blush

To be fair I hate being a bother so would rather do this than have to be calling the staff.

fl0b0t Wed 06-Feb-13 15:05:08

belle poor you honey sad

I think it's key to NOT WORRY. I know that sounds ridiculous and very hard to stick by, but since my doctor "validated" my sickness and told me that feeling guilty and worrying would only make me feel worse, I have felt a bit more relaxed.

I know that doesn't necessarily help, but I think being honest and upfront with your friends (how far along are you) about the dresses will help because they will be sympathetic. Also, if you are sewing professionally- you are no doubt amazing at it, and May is a long time away. :-)

My husband is also looking after everything at home (though no other children for him to look after, just a high maintenance cat!) and I won't barely let him touch me. Them boys just gotta take some shit, seeing as you're the one carrying that cute little baby-to-be and feeling rubbish. We need a forum for our husbands and partners!! I think I even told my husband that he was welcome to service himself as I sure as hell wouldn't be! ;-)

LucindaE Wed 06-Feb-13 16:07:20

Waves I hope you feel a bit better? What were those wretched ketones?
Belle Another ridiculous thing was when I was sick on my own shoes, and some went inside...
Lucinda
xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now