Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Holiday recommendations in 2nd trimester

(12 Posts)
Woodifer Thu 10-Jan-13 09:31:06

As someone a bit prone to swollen ankles (odema) I would recommend flight socks (available from Boots etc) even for shortish flights.

I flew shorthaul at 28 weeks last time (didn't have flight socks - anles like melons shock) , got to the front of the queue at check in though. On way back think they were worried about how far along I was because of my size smile

Droflove Thu 10-Jan-13 08:19:14

Being 2nd trimester wouldn't change my position on where to go for a holiday other than I would have to avoid motor biking and would prob avoid malaria areas. Having said that, I knocked myself out in a motorbike crash in the middle of nowhere in Namibia and went to a malaria area without taking anti-malarials at 4-5 weeks pregnant and am now nearly 38 wks. Didn't know I was pregnant though.

Tinselandchocolates Thu 10-Jan-13 07:42:28

We went to Mauritius when I was 20 weeks with DS. Was fab! One thing to consider is that Mosquitos absolutely love pregnant women and there are very few anti mossie sprays you can use (and obv can't use anti malarials), so you may get bitten, as I did, ALL OVER. knowing this now, I'd rather have gone to somewhere a bit less prone, like the canaries.

Enjoy your holiday!

Stepawayfromthesweeties Wed 09-Jan-13 22:39:05

We've just booked a last minute holiday to Tenerife for 30th jan and I'll be 21 weeks. Figured it might be our last abroad holiday for a couple of years so we'd treat ourselves smile the weather should be early 20's so not too hot. I didn't fancy flying any later on even though I know it's safe to do so until later on. Now having the 'oh my god none of my summer clothes fit' trauma, smile

dinkystinky Wed 09-Jan-13 17:10:26

I went to south africa in second trimester with DS1 and it was fine - but wouldnt recommend going on safari as I did!

Lanzarote or another canary island or southern spain will be lovely and warm come April.

nannyl Wed 09-Jan-13 14:52:37

We are going to fuerterventura at the end feb / beg march. I will be 23 - 24 ish weeks pg and have a 17m DD too.

looking forward to it.... it should be nice and warm (low - mid 20s) but i wouldnt want very hot with a young toddler and being pg either.

Celia1978 Wed 09-Jan-13 12:37:32

I flew long haul in my 2nd trimester (23-25 weeks) - 13 hour flights. It was totally fine - just took doctor's recommendations re: moving around often and drinking lots of water. We went to Thailand which I don't think is meant to be that pleasant in April - really, really hot! - so not sure I'd recommend the destination for the time of year you're planning. Second Morocco though - it's lovely. Or how about Mexico? Coast south of Cancun is gorgeous.

duende Wed 09-Jan-13 12:23:10

When I was pregnant with DS we went away in April, around the 20th if i remember correctly. I was about 25 weeks I think and I felt great. We went to Tenerife, the temperature was around 25 during the day although a bit cooler in the evenings. The flight wasn't too long and the holiday was very relaxing.

Now I'm pregnant again and we are hoping to go to Lanzarote in April. Again, I will be around 25 weeks.

Last year we went to sharm in Egypt and I was ill for nearly two weeks after coming back, with terrible stomach problems. I appreciate I was a bit unlucky, but I won't risk it in pregnancy, not even for the guaranteed sun and grea snorkelling.

Mutley77 Wed 09-Jan-13 11:50:59

Yes I would!! But just remember your travel insurance may well not cover you for any pregnancy related cancellation or anything as you are pregnant when booking. Unlikely to be a major issue at 17 weeks I doubt.

suzyrut Wed 09-Jan-13 10:41:58

Oooh lovely, I can't stop thinking about holidays at the moment! You could try Egypt but staying in a nicer hotel (not one of the all inclusive deals because they are not 5* and the food can be really dodgy) I went to Sharm and stayed in the Hyatt Regency which was lovely even at the end of February a few years ago and had no stomach troubles what so ever.

I also went to Morocco last year in April and it was lovely though there was one overcast day, again didn't have any stomach troubles. Would heartily recommend Riad dixneuf la ksour, the food was amazing and the staff/service was outstanding

Another option could be Florida but it's a bit of a longer flight, my parents have a house there and it's just starting to get really nice in April, the flight is about 9 hours though so depends on how you feel about sitting still for that long!

Am very jealous indeed xx

DeathMetalMum Wed 09-Jan-13 08:45:59

Canary Islands could be a good option. Its only a 4 hour flight. It may not be hot hot but it think between 20-25 degrees.
My brother lived on fuerteventura for a couple of years and I always enjoyed when I visited. It was much quieter than Tenerife, Lanzarote and Gand Canaria.

Blanketsandpillows Wed 09-Jan-13 08:36:00

DH and I would like to go away somewhere warm/hot at the beginning of April. I will (fingers crossed) be around 17 weeks then. Would you consider going away (probably long haul in order to reach the guaranteed sun)? And any recommendations on where to go at that time of year where we'll be guaranteed sun and would be OK for me to be (food wise etc). So much to think about since finding out this exciting news!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now