Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Forty on Thursday and pregnant for the first time....Petrified!

(16 Posts)
EwokStorageUnit Mon 14-Jan-13 21:09:32

Thanks for the birthday wishes - certainly a lot quieter birthday than I was expecting!

I am feeling odd the majority of the time and have been feeling sick more than I don't... my birthday dinner of curry stayed in for a approximately 15 minutes before being violently expelled... I took that to mean that Beanie did NOT approve of my choice.

The midwife called me last week and I've got my first appointment on the 22nd - she was trying to book scan appointment before this, but I haven't heard anything yet.

Thanks everyone, I'll keep you posted!

Hanikam Thu 10-Jan-13 10:39:11

Happy birthday ewokstorageunit ! Hope all is going fine. There's no reason why should feel old at 40. One friend at school has just had her 7th baby shock and she is my age (38). A week after she was was back in her skinny jeans, pushing a double buggy up the hill to the school!

I'm about 7 or 8 weeks preggo with number 4, and skinny jeans are long gone. Here come leggings and supersize knit ware. Relax and enjoy being pregnant! It's a cliche to say it's a special time, but its only a cliche because its true.

Please keep us posted, and congratulations!

Woodifer Thu 10-Jan-13 09:35:14

Happy birthday Ewok

Eletheomel Wed 09-Jan-13 19:58:03

Just to add, I'm pregnant with my second at 40 (will be 41 when the baby is due) having a baby in your forties is not that unusual, you're in good company and there's no reason you won't have a perfectly dull, boring and healthy pregnancy :-)

Re the whole GP/MW debacle - I had the same experience with my last pregnancy (which i sadly miscarried) I went to the hassle of getting an apointment with the GP, only to be told that he didnt deal with that now, and I needed to get an appointmen with the midwife :-)

So, this time I went straight to the MW, and I think i saw her about week 7/8 so you're not that far behind.

Congratulations - wishing you all the best for you and your little bean :-)

Lionsntigersnbears Wed 09-Jan-13 19:36:16

congratulations! Too old my (vast) behind! 40 is a fab age to have a baby. I'm having my second and I'll be 40 in april so obviously I'm an authority grin. When I had dd a couple of years ago, then age 38, I was moaning to the consultant midwife about my age and she said crisply 'Don't be ridiculous. You could have half a dozen yet'. The '40 is practically God's waiting room' discourse is Youthist media hype imho, you will be just as knackered, exhausted, clapped out and weary as every new mum of any age and there's no particular reason to worry about your age and the PG going well.

Jules125 Wed 09-Jan-13 16:33:26

Just to add , I had two lovely DDs aged 39 and 41. Here in London no-one batted an eyelid about my age - I'm still way too young to be that unusual :-) Obstetrician told me no reason why I couldn't have a third if I wanted to (I don't- nothing to do with my age!)

If you want you can organise a private scan for your own reassurance now. or some NHS EPUs might offer you an early scan due to age / anxiety if you ask. Policies vary. I got a walk in scan at 6 weeks last time because I was worried that I woul miscarry because of my age.

Dogsmom Wed 09-Jan-13 16:24:42

Congratulations!

In my area we don't see the gp at all, the midwives see us in week 8 or after 2 missed periods.

Don't worry about your age, my first is due in 8 weeks and I'll be almost 38, to be honest I think I've coped much better at this age than I would've done in my 20's.

EwokStorageUnit Wed 09-Jan-13 16:14:14

Thanks everyone for the support - I'm feeling a little calmer now (although still disappointed that I didn't get bells and whistles at the GP's!!)

I feel a weekend of searching the internet and getting myself up to speed on things - so much for spending my birthday weekend drinking champagne and spending my hard saved money on a pair of Christian Laboutain ridiculously expensive and high 10 minute shoes!!

On the plus side, at least I've got some money for some essentials ready!

Hopefully have more installments to post soon!

Tinselandchocolates Wed 09-Jan-13 07:46:09

Congratulations!
Most people tend to have a booking in appointment about 8-10 weeks, but tbh it's quite dull, just lots of info gathering about your health and the baby's fathers health, plus blood tests.
Easy to organise a private scan (just google your local hospital and ring to ask if they do it, or lots of private clinics if you live in London) but it won't give you the lasting reassurance you want, best just get used to a permanent state of worry for the next 18+ years!! Lots of women have babies later now, 40 really isn't that unusual.
Am sure you know but do start some prenatal vitamins ASAP. Otherwise nothing to do til booking in and then a very long few months wait. Plenty of time to get your head around it all! grin

stowsettler Wed 09-Jan-13 06:01:47

Congratulations! I'm 39 and have 5 weeks until 1st baby due (I'll be 40 six weeks after that). So what?! I've had a really easy pregnancy, much much easier than some of the girls I see at the midwife clinic who are almost half my age. It doesn't always follow that age = problems.
You'll be fine. It'll be great!

CCBirthskills Tue 08-Jan-13 23:20:38

Many congratulations - try Natal Hypnotherapy to help feel more relaxed.

BadBuddha Tue 08-Jan-13 22:50:21

Congratulations! You're definitely not too old! I had DS a couple of months shy of my fortieth, and am now expecting DC2 in May - a couple of months short of my forty third birthday... I feel great, and my age has barely been mentioned by my midwife.

Welovecouscous Tue 08-Jan-13 22:43:05

Yay!! grin

My yoga teacher had her first last year at 45.

In my pct you wouldn't be considered that old as they only start high risk at 38 there now.

Where do you live? You could go for a private dating scan now, if you wanted to.

CityDweller Tue 08-Jan-13 22:43:01

I had my booking-in appointment w/ mw around 8 weeks and then first scan at 12, but my hospital is frighteningly efficient. If you're worried or want earlier reassurance you can book in for an early private scan.

Congratulations, btw!

BJZebra Tue 08-Jan-13 22:40:03

Congratulations Ewok!
I think the processes can be different depending on where you live but when I went to the doctor to announce my pregnancy, expecting a fanfare and all sorts, it was a bit of an anticlimax. They just send details on to hospital and MW. The first time I saw anyone was at my 12 week scan and then the MW appointments. I expected my GP to be involved but she wasn't.
I remember thinking that surely someone should be doing something while waiting for 12 week scan - but unless there are specific health concerns they let your amazingly clever body get in with what it does best.
I was 38 and had never been PG before and I was shocked that my body just knew what to do!

EwokStorageUnit Tue 08-Jan-13 22:29:06

Took a test on Friday and it was positive. New to the area and had to register at the doctors (receptionist was lovely and booked me an appointment with the GP for today) but when I saw him, he just sorted out my repeat prescription and told me that I needed to call the MW, they deal with everything!

He did check my blood pressure (at my request), but I feel in limbo now - waiting for a MW to call back having left all my details on their answer machine. Hope they don't keep me hanging for too long...

So scared that I'm too old and too unfit (best not lie about that!) and that there'll be a problem.

Any ideas how quickly I should be seen for a scan? I think I'm probably 7-8 weeks and think waiting until week 12 will about send me round the bend!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now