Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

34 weeks, breech and freaking out. Didn't know it was so bad.

(14 Posts)
Mixxy Tue 08-Jan-13 21:07:41

Doctor told me today that baby is breech at 34 and a half weeks. He was since 30 weeks, but I only got told today. So she made an appointment for me to see the surgeon. Sat down to do a bit more reading about it and it turns out that breech can mean all sorts of things, like there might be thyroid issues and malformations etc. Does anybody have more information?

BadRoly Tue 08-Jan-13 21:09:15

Dd1 was breech and the only thing they checked her for afterwards was clicky hips - no mention of anything you've said about smile

podgymumma Tue 08-Jan-13 21:49:07

Where did you read that info? Many babies are still breach at 34 weeks especially if its your 2nd as theres more room for them to move about. Both mine were breach till 38 weeks and turned on their own.

Hermionewastherealhero Tue 08-Jan-13 21:59:13

Please don't panic, my son is 17 weeks old and he was breech. I had to have a c section and he had a scan to check his hips but all was and is fine. He is amazing and I recovered quickly.

crunchingicicles Tue 08-Jan-13 22:04:38

As far as I understand it, babies with certain problems may be more likely to stay breech, but there are plenty of healthy babies who present breech (and are still breech when born), but as mentioned above many will still turn at this stage (naturally or with assistance) before you go into labour. Take a look at Spinning Babies for lots of info about breech babies & exercises that can help encourage them to turn to head down instead.

crunchingicicles Tue 08-Jan-13 22:09:17

Also, there are previous threads about breech babies, I think on Childbirth board, looking at vaginal births and c-sections. Have a read of these to help you figure out what you feel is right for you both. Hopefully you won't even need that information but useful in case.

MJP1 Tue 08-Jan-13 22:13:13

dont fret love I am 36 weeks and my bub was recently breech until sunday when I think she turned, went to the midwife today and she said she might turn again but not to worry, many babies are born breech and have no problems, there is time for many things to happen and your midwife will discuss this with and your options. I had convinced myself over the weekend that I would need a C section, but even then I have heard positive stories from real mums and also from the old threads on mumsnet.

Please do not fret it will all be ok xx

NotSoNervous Tue 08-Jan-13 22:14:58

My DD was breech through most of my pregnancy, I had her by ELCS aT 37+5 and she's now 11w and absolutely fine, she had a hip scan that's routine nd very things fine so try to o panik

mrscog Tue 08-Jan-13 22:16:36

My DS was breech (he was turned by ECV at 37 weeks), he is fine. Please don't spend too much time worrying about it - In retrospect I somewhat ruined weeks 34-37 of my pregnancy sobbing about maybe having to have a CS and trying out all sorts of wacky positions, burning my little toe with moxibustion sticks.

It is much better to just read up on C-sections now so you're prepared in case your baby doesn't turn and the just relax and enjoy the end of your pg. smile

Mixxy Tue 08-Jan-13 22:20:48

podgymomma Here's where I got some of the ideas http://birthwithoutfearblog.com/2011/09/06/breech-birth-statistics/

It's my first pregnancy so there isn't much more room to move about down there.

I guess I'm worried because I'm having the baby in New York. They wont even consider a vaginal birth here if the baby is breech.

miniandfloss Wed 09-Jan-13 08:02:09

I have a 6 week old who was breech had an elcs as was already engaged and wouldn't turn. Was petrified but it was all fine and now have a lovely healthy baby. Try not to worry I spent the last few weeks in distress over having an elcs and I wish I hadn't now.

emblosion Wed 09-Jan-13 12:00:42

I was breech OP, 6 weeks prem and born vaginally (in the late 70's) and have no probs whatsoever smile. 2 of my grans 6 kids were breech, both fine.

My friends little boy was breech and born by elcs, now ten months old & again completely fine.

I think, as crunchingicicles said some medical conditions mean babies might be more likely to present breech but loads of healthy babies are born this way too.

Baby may well turn yet!

Newmom2b Thu 10-Jan-13 08:45:24

Hi, my Ds was breech and is a fit and healthy 15 month old. I too was a breech baby! Don't scare yourself with Google, its dangerous! All the best for your pregnancy x

logitech56 Thu 10-Jan-13 08:48:05

at 30 weeks there would have been no need to tell you as it would have caused unnecessary worry to you,
Baby can still be turned around. Or if not, then still be delivered safely. It just means different management. The best thing you can do now, is to stop googling and stressing yourself, because that can cause more problems to you. good luck with everything smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now