Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Maternity clothes

(38 Posts)
tamixli Tue 08-Jan-13 11:16:46

I am looking for maternity clothes and wanted to know what shops sell them?
I have heard that H&M, New Look and Dorothy Perkins sell them, but do they have them in-store as I would like to try them on for fit.
Does anyone know if Primark sells them and what sort of items and styles they have and what is the quality like?
Any other shops that sell maternity clothes that people can recommend.

scaredbutexcited Fri 11-Jan-13 11:46:01

The mamas and papas sale is fab at the moment. Loads of stuff well below half price and lots of tops are 3 for 2. Had to get a few yesterday as very little "normal" clothes I can still get away with wearing now!

StuckOnARollercoaster Fri 11-Jan-13 09:33:39

ps. for anyone looking for good maternity trousers for work -these arrived this week and I wore them yesterday - absolutely fab - look nice and smart, decent thickness and above all very comfy!
Oh and even though they say £35, when you add to basket they miraculously become £25!

Broodymaternitywear Thu 10-Jan-13 22:48:24

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Broodymaternitywear Thu 10-Jan-13 22:41:41

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Discolite Thu 10-Jan-13 17:49:35

I'm 31 weeks and the only things I've had to buy have been maternity jeans and work trousers (both New Look) and a coat. The recent fashion for very long line teeshirts has been very useful as many of my pre pregnancy tops still fit! The ones that are too short I just wear Primark vests under, which should also come in useful for breastfeeding. I've also bought items in the next size up as long as they are stretchy. You really don't have to spend too much at all.

Stepawayfromthesweeties Wed 09-Jan-13 22:45:14

I got some nice work trousers today from red herring at debenhams. They're ones with the over the bump band and it's perfect for me (i tried on a few other ones where the overbump stretchy part was so big it was almost keeping my nipples warm)grin Also got a couple of really nice tops from matalan in the sale (2 for £8)

Dogsmom Wed 09-Jan-13 13:55:09

I've bought all of mine from new look and asda.
I also bought a few long jumpers from sainsburys that aren't maternity but fit fine and look ok with maternity leggings and boots.

BadMissM Wed 09-Jan-13 13:25:43

ooh Palehousewife Maternity in Manchester Primark? Am there in a couple of weeks.....

Considering I live in the teenage mother capital of the universe, only New Look locally sell maternity clothes. Have got some from Asda online, and then done click and collect to local store (store doesn't do them otherwise).

Would have been easier if not for Christmas, DD's birthday, and the termly school bus pass to take advantage of the sales... seen some nice things on H & M and ASOS. Am not going OTT, tend to wear long tops so will see how it goes....

BonaDea Wed 09-Jan-13 13:17:39

H&M and Gap sell instore, but you have to go into the kids / baby store in some cases, as opposed to the adult store.

John Lewis sells the Seraphine range, but again this is beside the baby stuff, not the adult clothes.

Benneton and Jo Jo Maman Bebe sell them too as well as Mothercare as mentioned above. Also Mamas and Papas.

I've got some bits from all of these places except Benneton.

IceNoSlice Wed 09-Jan-13 13:15:44

Missy28 I had a wedding at 38 weeks where I was doing a reading!! I found a nice maxi dress on ASOS.

IceNoSlice Wed 09-Jan-13 13:14:02

Jojo Maman Bebe for work stuff, ASOS, H&M.

Missy28 Wed 09-Jan-13 12:58:18

I cried in Mamas and Papas the other day because it was all frumpy, I felt fat and I was very hormonal! I ended up getting a nice jumper in H&M and my mum bought me an awesome selection from ASOS. I find the shops have a very limited selection but online seems to be fab. I have 2 weddings in a week soon so I'm dreading shopping for dresses, tears could be imminent!! wink

suzyrut Wed 09-Jan-13 10:17:35

Sorry actually HAVE made me feel human!

suzyrut Wed 09-Jan-13 10:16:46

Benneton do maternity clothes but not on line which is annoying (the Kingston branch do them). I bought a couple of nice bits from there. Topshop do some clothes that actually haven't made me feel human rather than a big mummsy lump (I'm 38 just in case that matters) xx

weeblueberry Wed 09-Jan-13 09:58:02

I went into Next, H&M and New Look and TBH all the clothes looked really badly cut and sat funny on me. sad Not flattering at all I'm afraid.

I've got virtually every single peice of maternity clothing from Mamas and Papas (their over the bump jeans are excellent), Mothercare and Jojo Maman Bebe. All still have sales on making the clothes very reasonable.

PaleHousewifeOfCumbriaCounty Wed 09-Jan-13 07:53:30

When i was last in primark (manchester) thry had a small section of maternity, might be worth asking. Other than that, topshop do some nice stuff

Mawgatron Wed 09-Jan-13 07:01:31

I had a really depressing day where I walked round a large shopping centre and basically every place I went in (house of Fraser, newlook, John Lewis, gap, next) all said they aren't stocking maternity in store, and I would have to buy online.
Ended up nearly bursting into tears on the last shop assistant I asked, and then grumped at DH for daring to look at a hoody for himself when poor me had nothing to wear. Whoops!
But, asos online are excellent, and having a sale ATM, and seconding h and m. The thing I'm looking for is nice, smart work trousers. There are endless pairs of jeans and joggers out there, but not many decent looking smart trousers.

Maiziemonkey Wed 09-Jan-13 01:33:23

Mamas and papas do loads of clothes online and usually have a sale of some items- I only bought their stuff in sales but has lasted really well and very comfy trousers with the elasticated bit in the sides still being worn 6 months post partum! The dresses don't look like maternity wear at all. Dorothy Perkins also good. Try to find a good wrap dress as well- invaluable

DizzyDizzy Wed 09-Jan-13 00:29:08

tons of my non-maternity tops still fit*

DizzyDizzy Wed 09-Jan-13 00:28:24

Also look at non maternity clothes... i've only bought a few trousers/leggings in maternity style. tons of my tops still fit, as i wear a lot of stretchy longer tops, they used to go down to mid thigh, so with bump, they're still covering my tummy. and a lot of my low rise jeans still fit... my BUMP is very big already. however, leggings you will NEED to get in maternity, as ALL the seems in mine have split or given way. i've bought all of my stuff from h&m, as they're comfy and fashionable, and they fit perfectly. don't be afraid to order online, and return if you can't find much stock instore!! i find it more relaxing trying stuff on at home, and you don't have to squeeze into a meter x meter room, with all your bags, with no air con, and people knocking the curtain to the cubicle every 10 seconds. but maybe that's just grumpy pre-natal me!! ha! x

emsyj Tue 08-Jan-13 21:15:41

I've bought tons from Matalan this time, and been pleased with all of it. Also bought bits from Asda. It is a pain having to order online and then return stuff, but Asda do a 'collect plus' thing now where you can drop return parcels into all sorts of random shops (rather than having to go to the store or post office) and they send it off. I dropped off some maternity bits that I didn't like at the local off-licence, which is my nearest collect plus point. It's odd but quite a good system!

tinkletinklestar Tue 08-Jan-13 21:06:20

H&m are great for their maternity& nursing tops and vests

Next for their jeans & leggings have lasted my whole pregnancy and I will continue to wear them.

Primark sell lovely long vests as under clothes. Also huge knickers packs for £3!

Mothercare for bras and sleep bras.

Tesco do really cheap nighties great for hospital

Stepawayfromthesweeties Tue 08-Jan-13 20:32:34

I got a couple of bits in the sale at new look and a few from red herring in debenhams. I've been to h&m a couple of times, but their sizes are just not for me (either really tight or ginormous). I've got a few bits from eBay and a massive bundle of things from pre-loved, £20 for about 20 items, there are few bits that don't fit too well but for the amount it cost I don't mind giving them to a charity shop. The maternity jeans search is still ongoing though, struggling to find some nice boot it ones for a 5ft 9in tall bird grin

Blobby11 Tue 08-Jan-13 19:07:21

I've just got tons in the gap sale. They're on final markdowns and there were some amazing reductions eg jumpers for £7, tops for £5

loveschocolate Tue 08-Jan-13 18:56:18

I found the in store selections limited or non-existent. Bought some clothes in New Look (leggings and a dress) and the rest in Mamas and Papas and Mothercare as really wanted to try them on first. Agree you don't need to get too much - wardrobe consists of 2x leggings, 1 x trousers, 5 x cotton tops, 2 x jumpers, 1x smart dress and a few bits and pieces of non-maternity clothes that still fit at 37 weeks (eg loose cardis and empire line dresses)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now