Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Anyone had the injection to speed up placenta delivery?

(67 Posts)
u32ng Sun 06-Jan-13 20:11:05

I'm 36+5 so the impending birth is very much on my mind! I'd decided a while ago that I'd be happy to have the injection to speed up the delivery of the placenta but I read somewhere recently that it can make you be/feel sick.

Would appreciate it if anyone could say from experience whether this is true or not.

I don't cope well with nausea or sickness so it would be helpful to know so I can make a final decision on it - thanks!

SoYo Mon 07-Jan-13 12:47:05

Syntocinon decreases risk of retained placenta. Other oxytocics that are used for have bleeding eg ergo terrine increase risk and are therefore only used after placenta delivers. Pretty sure this is right after writing previous hospital guideline & I've got this down as a reference but can't be arsed to access from iPad to check.

28. Prendiville WJ, Elbourne D, McDonald S. The Cochrane Library, Issue 3. Oxford: Update Software; 1998. Active versus expectant management of the third stage of labour (Cochrane Review)

PeggyL Mon 07-Jan-13 12:50:42

Hi, I had the injection with my first child and it was fine, it came about 30 minutes after I delivered my son and I just sort of felt a tugging where the midwife was gently pulling it out, I didn't feel sick with it and to be honest, you're so done in anyway, I'd be surprised how many woman actually pay that much attention to it. Am 39 weeks + 4 and planning on having it again.

comeonbishbosh Mon 07-Jan-13 17:29:04

I'm another one who didn't have it with DC1 (home birth) but am planning to have one with DC2 (hopefully another home birth in the next week or so!)

Last time the placenta took about an hour to deliver, and it was frustrating having to concentrate on that rather than my very newborn. This time I'd like to just get it out quickly. My midwife had advised that there is a risk of nausea, but it also should reduce the risk of bleeding. So am going to go for it, even though I can be a bit of a 'sicky' person!

egdeh Mon 07-Jan-13 17:39:24

I had it after first labour (mw wanted to speed things up so she could go to someone else) and was sick. It was very sudden & just the once, then I felt fine. I am def one of lifes pukers though!
Didn't have it after dc2 or 3 and didn't throw up either. As others have said though, sick or not it all feels fairly inconsequential in the overall labour.

rrreow Mon 07-Jan-13 17:57:15

I put in my birth plan that I didn't want it, but after the birth the midwife recommended I had it (I forget why, but she had a valid reason, or at least it sounded valid). I decided to go ahead with it for two reasons: One, I didn't really care after the baby was out. Two, I really HATED the feeling of the umbillical cord being inside my vagina (it just felt horrible to me).

I'm glad I had it and it didn't make me feel sick. Currently pg with DC2 and this time I plan to put in my birth plan that I want the injection.

perceptionreality Mon 07-Jan-13 18:00:11

I had it with my first baby. It made me sick and caused a hemorrhage - hence I did all I could to avoid ever having one again!

BacardiNCoke Mon 07-Jan-13 18:00:26

I had it as routine after having dd2 as I had an awful time trying to deliver the placenta after dd1. It was almost more painful than the birth! confused

I would totally recommend it, after having dd2 it just completed the perfect birth after the trauma of having dd1.

LovesBeingAtHomeForChristmas Mon 07-Jan-13 18:03:29

I had it with dd no problems but with ds I wanted a natural one in the end due to complications I had to have it anyway. Never felt I'll.

Springforward Mon 07-Jan-13 19:51:16

I had the injection with DS, no sickness and I don't remember the placenta being delivered.

NAR4 Tue 08-Jan-13 11:14:18

I had sickness throughout my first three labours so wouldn't notice the differrence. Fourth labour I didn't have any sickness but had to have two injections of differrent anti sickness medication to stop the profuse vomiting afterwards. No idea if it was connected in any way to the injection to deliver the placenta. Just wrote it off as a normal side effect of labour.

Like you I have quiet a phobea about being sick but was surprised how well I coped with it during labour. Also found it a great distraction from the pain.

PickledInAPearTree Tue 08-Jan-13 11:16:43

I had it and it made me sick. It wasnt that bad and I didnt feel queasy but I was sick a few times, only lasted 5 mins.

I had it as I know a few people who have had a retained placenta, and being sick sounds like a walk in the park in comparison.

So I am going to have it again.

u32ng Tue 08-Jan-13 19:05:13

Thanks heaps for all your responses - quite a variation of experiences!

I quite like the idea of a 'wait and see' approach but will probably make the call at the time then depending on how I'm feeling/how the labour's gone.

Def don't like the idea of missing out on new baby hugs tho because i'm having to fanny (sorry!) about with delivering the placenta!

helebear Tue 08-Jan-13 19:21:51

I was same as rrreow, it was in my birth an not to have it but when it came to it I was tired after labour & just wanted the placenta out so I could cuddle my baby so I couldn't be bothered to wait for a natural placenta delivery & made on the spot decision to have it. Didn't feel any pain when I had the injection or afterwards & placenta came quickly with a little tug from midwife so no regrets and ill be having it again with dc2.

beingginger Tue 08-Jan-13 19:40:48

I had it with all 3. I had wanted a natural 3rd stage with dc3 but he needed to be resuscitated and I ended up with it anyway. No vomiting and tbh I barely even noticed them injecting me

CelineMcBean Tue 08-Jan-13 19:48:01

You might find the following review and website useful? The review is the latest research from The Cochrane Review for 2011. Interestingly it does not comment at all on retained placenta in the abstract but the website does refer to retained placenta being more likely with the injection and has some links to sources. The interesting point for me was that it confirmed after pains are linked to the injection which was something I'd mused on on my previous post. I wished I'd known! So if you're low risk for bleeding the review reckons it doesn't make much difference and could be slightly better for baby to do watching and waiting (I paraphrase so do read for yourself as I have a bias and it's difficult to disregard it when I don't have the review in front of me but I'm going from memory).

Personally, having done it both with and without I can say that it was much easier to cuddle the baby the second time round when I didn't have the jab. I had two midwives and the first was very keen to give me the injection, cut the cord etc but the more experienced one said "let's just wait and see" so we did and baby and i bobbed about in the birthing pool. First time round I was on the bed, legs akimbo with a midwife pulling it out and baby at other end of room with dad although I did request the cord was not clamped until it had stopped pulsing both times. I'm not sure now that it happened the first time.

However, all that said you can probably cuddle baby and do it your way just by specifying that you want skin-to-skin straight away.

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD007412.pub3/abstract

www.thirdstageoflabour.org/thirdstagechoice.html

perceptionreality Wed 09-Jan-13 00:42:07

I think it does all depend on how the labour goes - if you can avoid much intervention during labour then you can usually have a physiological 3rd stage, which I did with dd2 and dd3 - both took only about 10 minutes and were painless and I had much less bleeding in the weeks afterwards.

TimeyWimeyStuff Thu 10-Jan-13 07:41:45

i had the injection. i also vomited, once and very quickly, after DC was born. i have never linked the two and thought it was something that just happens to some woman as part of the bodyshock. It was only water anyway. And having a new baby makes nothing else matter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now