Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Should I be allowing my 7 week old baby to have daytime naps in a room on her own?

(13 Posts)
AC786 Fri 04-Jan-13 23:38:34

Should I be doing this?

pinkpudding Fri 04-Jan-13 23:55:38

Why not?

extracrunchy Fri 04-Jan-13 23:57:02

Yes as long as you can hear her and check on her occasionally

FunnysInLaJardin Fri 04-Jan-13 23:57:44

I did. Why not?

Yika Fri 04-Jan-13 23:59:15

Yes, it's fine!

AC786 Sat 05-Jan-13 06:26:53

I only ask on the basis of SIDS for night time sleeping.

Thank you for your responses!

Fairylea Sat 05-Jan-13 06:29:04

You're not really supposed to as per sids advice for all sleeps but I had to as I have a noisy older sister so poor ds would never have slept otherwise !

SweetTeaVodka Sat 05-Jan-13 06:52:04

I personally wouldn't, SIDS advice about them sleeping in the same room applies to all sleeps, not just overnight, but I know plenty of people do.

Not, get her used to napping with background noise and in light! Mine were in a Moses basket on the living room floor as I watched a DVD got stuff done or in a buggy or sling as they got bigger. So many babies can't sleep unless its dark or silent and as they get older, it's a nightmare.... My paediatrician also said that babies need to nap in daylight and sleep in dark in order to set up their circadian rhythms quickly so they get used to sleeping longer when it's dark .... Worked for us.

Tinselandchocolates Sat 05-Jan-13 07:05:06

No, not if you want to comply with SIDs advice. Your baby should sleep in the same room as you for at least 6 months. That includes all sleeps. It's equally important for daytime sleeps as night time sleeps.
Partly it's so you can keep an eye on them, partly because they regulate their breathing by listening to your breathing.
Personally, I don't think this is necessarily feasible, especially if you have other kids. My DS certainly napped out of the room from about 3 months. But if you want to follow SIDs advice then they must nap with you.

PaleHousewifeOfCumbriaCounty Sat 05-Jan-13 08:55:01

I would personally keep my babies downstairs, they really do need the noise and light to help them establish proper night sleepytimes

Fairylea Sat 05-Jan-13 09:05:59

I don't agree that it helps them establish day and night... both of mine have slept through from 9 weeks and I've always been a bit of a sucker for routine and making sure they had proper naps in their room away from noise etc as per Gina ford. (Sorry !) ... but that's as far as I followed anything !

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Sat 05-Jan-13 09:12:17

I think this is one of those areas where what is ideal and what is practical collide and compromise has to be made, especially when there are other children in the house. We live in an apartment (all on one level) and even in her room with the door shut, DD is still going to be subjected to background noise (hoover, washing machine, people chatting, building site next door etc). However, it does take the edge off the sudden loud noises (DS throwing a metal car onto the wooden floor etc) that would wake her up 20 mins into a much -needed i hour nap.

The breathing thing is a theory. Personally I cant see how it can be right if a baby is napping in a room with the TV/radio on. I mean, can you hear your DH breathing if the TV's on? Course not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now