Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Should I be allowing my 7 week old baby to have daytime naps in a room on her own?

(13 Posts)
AC786 Fri 04-Jan-13 23:38:34

Should I be doing this?

ZuleikaD Sat 05-Jan-13 06:23:09

The advice on the SIDS risk is that babies should do all their sleeping in the same room as you until six months. So allowing your 7wo to have naps in a room on her own goes against the advice, yes.

I wouldnt.

DD2 is 7 weeks and is very easily disturbed in the day with the tv/DD1/people talking and moving about. But I still wouldnt put her on her own.

Droflove Sat 05-Jan-13 09:11:57

Totally fine, you will go insane otherwise. As an alternative you can sit and stare at her every time she sleeps. Your choice.

ZuleikaD Sat 05-Jan-13 09:17:45

You don't have to sit and stare, and I think saying 'you will go insane' might be overstating the case somewhat.

Meglet Sat 05-Jan-13 09:20:08

I did and used the time to tidy up, do laundry get the dyson out.

Droflove no one is saying sit and stare hmm

There is a theory that SIDS could be caused by the baby dropping into such a deep sleep it forgets to breathe. By the baby always being with someone, the noise and movement keeps the baby from going into too deep sleep.

I tidy and do laundry and hoover and get on with my day. If Im upstairs for longer than 5-10 minutes the baby comes too. No one is saying you have to be glued to the baby. But putting it in a room and closing the door for however long is not recommended.

InNeedOfBrandy Sat 05-Jan-13 09:28:57

I think mine were in a Moses basket next to the tv at that age and then when they out grew Moses basket they went in their cot in their room.

BooCanary Sat 05-Jan-13 09:31:15

My dc2 did. He never would have slept otherwise, as dc1 was obsessed with him, and had a habit of trying to pick him up, rock the (non-rockable) moses basket, and generally unintentionally be a total danger to him!

leannac Sat 05-Jan-13 10:55:27

My DD1 slept in her own room from 5 wks as she (& I) never slept if we were in the same room. I got an angel care breathing monitor to make sure she was ok as I figured an alarm going off if she didn't breathe for 10 secs was probably a faster alert than if I was doing chores with her in the same room as me but not staring at her every second

newby2 Sat 05-Jan-13 12:41:37

Get a video monitor then you can see them.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 05-Jan-13 12:51:44

It's not about you being able to see or hear the baby. It's about the baby being able to hear you, so they don't forget to breath.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now