Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What helped your pregnancy- induced indigestion?

(15 Posts)
Amnewtoallthis Sun 30-Dec-12 08:22:32

Am coming up for 22 weeks and have had horrible morning sickness - quite bad up until 16 weeks - which has been replaced by heartburn and indigestion. Gaviscon is helping but have just had winter vomiting bug and bad cold which means my tummy is still sore.
I don't want to spend the rest of my second pregnancy with heartburn etc and will try anything - ice water doesn't help btw. I'm already 'off' sugary stuff and chocolate as I can't bear the taste and texture.
Am fed up with having such a sore tummy - didn't get this when pregnant with DD four years ago.

I've got chronic heart burn too - awful isn't it. Things that help me:

Eat main meals earlier in the day and only a light meal in the evening.
Avoid raw veg, salads, and raw fruit. Cook veg well, until it it soft.
Nothing with onion, leek, cucumber or peppers
Drink hot water with lemon juice rather than tea or coffee
Only take gaviscon before bed (if I take it all day it stops working)
Avoid very fatty food, or food with seared edges - so braised meat rather than grilled steak, and boiled or mashed spuds rather than chips or roast

katiecubs Sun 30-Dec-12 09:17:09

I have this too - I am on ranitidine from the docs. Gaviscon etc didn't cut it anymore and I can highly recommend this. Pain is totally gone now.

Honestly? Swigging Gaviscon by the bottle grin. Sleeping on left side later in pregnancy as right side seems to make it worse.
I'm 40 weeks and still suffering though!
Full meals are making me vomit at the moment but I'm not sure if thats due to indigestion, hormones or the lack of room left!

Amnewtoallthis Sun 30-Dec-12 10:05:23

Thanks worster been doing the lemon in water but have been eating raw veg- must admit the over cooked sprouts I had on Christmas Day went down well! Been cutting skin off cucumber - will try and limit Gaviscon. katiecubs didn't realise it was okay to have ranitidine - may ask for that if tummy does not get better.

sundaesundae Sun 30-Dec-12 11:04:22

my gp prescribed omeprazole it was a lifesaver!

Amnewtoallthis Sun 30-Dec-12 12:18:39

sundae was on that for three months early last year- I'm making appointment with GP tomorrow - if I can get a slot

GreenOlives Sun 30-Dec-12 18:34:45

Ranitidine! Its transformed my life! grin

katiecubs Sun 30-Dec-12 21:46:38

They are happy to prescribe ranitidine/Omep if you are struggling. There is no evidence it does any harm to you or baby and I used it last pregnancy with no ill effects.

For me it was a total life saver as was in quite a bit if pain and struggling to sleep. Just started it again this time round at 33 weeks and I feel like a new women smile best of luck x

Panzee Sun 30-Dec-12 21:52:42

I got a week's worth of Rantidine and it was bliss. Got a doctor appointment next week and going to ask for more.
Gaviscon makes me puke now. As do tomatoes in any form. I am eating Tums which give a little relief.

sweetkitty Sun 30-Dec-12 21:54:37

Omeperazole - absolutely fantastic, one tiny tablet in the morning did the trick, much better than gallons of gaviscon

MERLYPUSS Sun 30-Dec-12 22:34:36

Another vote for Ranitidine. (twins). GP just looked at me in sympathy and wrote out a prescription bypassing Gaviscon. Especially as I told him I cant swallow thick liquid and he felt sorry for me eating chalky tablets. They are quite high in sodium too I believe.

CareerGirl01 Mon 31-Dec-12 14:50:34

GP prescribed me omeoperazole - for two weeks. I've been able to eat eggs and toast without feeling like a hole is being burnt into my stomach. Here's to a NYE when I can eat a bit of normal food - still going to avoid all the main culprits though - and won't be touching curry, tea, coffee or anything spicy this side of May

MostlyCake Sun 13-Jan-13 17:58:53

I've had fairly minor heartburn so this might not touch the more severe symptoms but I've been drinking a glass of milk when I have heartburn and just before bed. Think it helps that Im out like a light as soon as my head touches the pillow but it makes a real difference!
Saving the gaviscon for when I really need it...!

Panzee Sun 13-Jan-13 18:25:47

I now have enough ranitidine to last me till birth and beyond. No longer do I feel like I have big chunks out of my stomach and oesophagus. I haven't been sick since I started taking it. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now