Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant type 1 diabetics, step over here...

(1000 Posts)

I seem to have filled up the old thread and thought I better start a new one! grin Still got ages to go, don't leave me now...

Am currently sat waiting for my 16 week antenatal appt, been here an hour so far and just had BP done and that's it.

Hoping it was I had to reduce my ratios for breakfast (by half) that they induced me. When's your next appointment and have your ratios changed?

Hopingforno2 Thu 07-Mar-13 09:19:18

My next appt is monday have a scan n clinic then, is that too late? If im honest i havent really had a proper ratio for ages, im not sure i had been adding like an extra unit of rapid on to breakfast if above 6 so not sure if thats what made me low pre lunch, and dinner i havent been eating as big portions(heartburn) but didnt reduce my rapid by much at all so i may just be being paranoid what do u think?
cant imagine triage being any use for advice as my own consultant has never asked me to look out for changes in insulin needs so they wouldnt have a clue what im talking about not sure if dsn would?

Hmmm I'm really no expert but that's just what happened to me. I phoned dsn because my ratio had dropped and I was having hypos and they got me in, both times. I don't want to advise you anything because I don't feel confident in what I'm talking about, sorry. All I know is that your insulin requirement is supposed to be increasing.

Hopingforno2 Thu 07-Mar-13 09:51:44

I know im a bit confused myself my requirements havent dropped as such they just havent increased by much up 3u at night and 1u at night, have tried not taking any extra with breakfast to see what happens. Think i will phone dsn at lunchtime tho see what she thinks. sad

Hopingforno2 Thu 07-Mar-13 10:01:40

Ok so looked it up online not sure if this link will work http://www.healthcentral.com/diabetes/c/5868/17357/insulin-34-weeks/
But in america they apparently advise patients that insulin resistance will increase weeks 28-34 then begin to even out?! The only reason i even know to look out for this is you ladies nothing has ever been mentioned to me at any point!

You'll be ok smile I had to halve my ratios so was obviously quite dramatic!

Ds sucks his thumb all by himself now grin

Hopingforno2 Thu 07-Mar-13 10:14:00

Well not had to half them so far anyway but if im still low lunchtime possibly may need to reduce them a unit or 2 confused

Aww so cute, looking forward to meeting my baby tho hopfully not for another 4 weeks lol

Hopingforno2 Thu 07-Mar-13 13:44:05

Hmm cant get through to dsn still only 3.0 but then 3/4 late for lunch as was cleaning house etc so myb down to late and cleaning i just dont know sad

Any luck? I wouldn't worry too much it's not like you're struggling to keep your levels up...

Hopingforno2 Thu 07-Mar-13 18:11:25

Hey spotty she only just called, i tried to explain what was happening but not sure i was very clear really i said i had put up my night time levemir over a week ago and over the last few days have not had to battle the 3am rise but have not been low either but over last 2-3 days im low at lunch but have been a bit later due to being out/busy and that my dinner bg has also been on low side. She said well reduce ur doses and call me tommorow if its still running low when i said fine but is this drop ok? Should i be worried about baby she said only if its by alot very suddenly?and she thinks i only need to drop 2u at most on my rapid hmm she said it may be due to me doing a bit more, eating a little less, so guess i wait n c how things go then could be a long weekend lol would u be worried?or am i paranoid(most likely lol)

If it was me I would be thinking it's the start of things going downhill BUT only because the same thing happened with dd. Also remember with me it was really sudden not gradual as yours seems to be. Your dns could be right, it could be down to any number of things smile with ds they got me in that day but it was still five days until I had him and placenta was still healthy

Hopingforno2 Thu 07-Mar-13 18:29:12

Thanks spotty with ds i cant even remeber what it was like at the later stages but at the very least everything should be ok till i see my consultant on monday and im getting scanned 1st so thats good i guess, there always seems to be something to worry about with this little madam! At 34 weeks she would be ok if i had to go in right? I mean if the growth scan is right she is likely to be 7lbs at least by now

Yes she would be fine smile may need a little help to start with but that's all

Hopingforno2 Thu 07-Mar-13 21:04:02

I shouldnt think like that i know but cant help it didnt have dinner till 7pm and by then my bg was 2.7 so low again!tho almost same as lunchtime so steady if you know what i mean confused

Hmm well they seem steady rather than dropping just see what happens I suppose smile

Hopingforno2 Fri 08-Mar-13 04:59:35

Well last night at 9.30pm was 6.9 (had only taken 30u with dinner rather than 34 as bg was low to start) by 11pm was 10.3 so took myb too big a correction of 6u as felt horrible with it was 9.1 around midnight, 4am 3.3 so my correction was too much right? Tho last week 6u wouldnt even have brought it down by 4 hmm think im going round the bend!

dieciocho Fri 08-Mar-13 08:38:08

Poor you hoping, I can't help as I didn't have this level dropping stuff at the end of my pregnancy - my ratios just went up and stayed up!
Don't panic, 34 weeks wouldn't be the end of the world and you'd meet your baby sooner and have all sorts of other things to worry about!

Hopingforno2 Fri 08-Mar-13 09:42:21

Well was running late this morning only had breakfast at 9.30 there bg was 7.9 so not low so im hoping it just stays steady now

That's good hoping smile hopefully it was just a blip

Hopingforno2 Fri 08-Mar-13 17:48:45

It was 4.8 at lunch around 1.30pm and had dinner early n it was 8.0 so looking like a slight reduction in long acting 1u and 1u on each rapid is leaving it running normal to high so that ok i think? Not a huge drop in needs.

BonaDea Fri 08-Mar-13 20:02:03

Hi hoping - it's really hard to tell if you're not using ratios for your Novo, I think but I'm sure YOU'LL know if you're suddenly needing a lot less. Consultant told me last time I was there that I need to be aware of sudden drops in requirements... If you are still worried tomorrow, don't let your MW fob you off - insist on going in if you are still not right in your own mind. I am sure everything is just fine, but worth checking. How is baby moving? Still active as normal?

Well, I am doing EVERYTHING I can to avoid this induction. Acupuncture, having a curry tonight (with fresh pineapple for pudding!), drinking raspberry leaf tea, expressing colostrum 4 times a day (got more than 3ml today so far, getting more each time), have inserted starflower oil pessary AND am going to get hooked up to the double breast pump next week. Unfortunately, if I do go into labour, I will have absolutely not the faintest idea of what on earth worked if anything, but I feel that the scatter gun approach is probably worth it grin

Have also stocked up hospital bag with cereal bars, chocolate, crackers and lucozade in case of lows. Am also going to leave strict sandwich instructions for Mr Bona! On the other hand, I was thinking of packing some low carb snacks as well for before the birth in case I'm hungry during pessary stage, but don't want to eat stodgy hosptial rubbish. So, was thinking of packing some babybel cheeses, perhaps some bacon strips (you know the stuff you can buy in M&S for putting in salads), some hard boiled eggs. All these things should also last ok out of the fridge. Can anyone think of anything else?

Confession: ate an entire chocolate bar AND a scone iwth clotted cream and jam earlier. Scared to test, but will need to do so before dinner.

Bona pack some drinks with straws, you know cartons. I would get some pure juice ones and no added sugar ones so you can decide which you need. When in labour straws are much easier and you might not want to eat anything, I know I didn't. Oooo you must be getting excited! Don't forget lip balm in your bag smile

Hopingforno2 Fri 08-Mar-13 20:18:07

bona and spotty i know i should have kept more of an eye on my ratios really, ive also been thinking that mayabe for the week n a bit i was struggling with highs before this i had some sort of low grade virus working on me as had been feeling a bit rubbish in the mornings and then had the nearly fainting at work? Now kinda back to what i was prior to the last fortnight if that makes sense

Hopingforno2 Fri 08-Mar-13 20:21:04

bona good luck with getting started smile how many weeks are u?

Bona, my friend has 5 kids and she swears by unprotected sex inc an (or several if you can stand it!) orgasms have started her off every time grin

Got to be worth a try...

I did hear that sperm contains the same hormones for softening the cervix that are in the pessaries, no idea if that's actually true though!

This thread is not accepting new messages.