Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Pregnant type 1 diabetics, step over here...

(1000 Posts)

I seem to have filled up the old thread and thought I better start a new one! grin Still got ages to go, don't leave me now...

Am currently sat waiting for my 16 week antenatal appt, been here an hour so far and just had BP done and that's it.

mylittlepuds Wed 20-Feb-13 19:17:26

Excellent that you just needed gas and air - for me that's very encouraging.

I love gas and air but I kept asking dp if my voice had gone really deep because I was convinced it had! grin

dieciocho Thu 21-Feb-13 11:42:14

" spotty - why am I back to 2u/10g?? I was on 1u before I got pregnant and I'm breastfeeding (all the bloody time!)" - my ratios are the same as yours, except for lunch when they're more like 10g=1u.
So, hormones, you say? hmm And fatness shock - yeah, so I didn't get back into my size 10 jeans for DP's birthday last week. I've still got about 3kgs to lose off my tummy.

Thanks everyone for your kind wishes re: V's hip. rue, your experiences are encouraging.

Weeny rant: DP asked me why I couldn't manage being T1 and also breastfeeding without asking for help when everyone else can do it. WTF. No longer DP, just P.

Diec my dp has no idea about the t1 and bf. I don't even bother trying to explain.

I still have a bit of a belly too. I figure if I wait until the weather warms up it'll be easier to eat healthily grin

Currently having pitta, hummus, cheese and baby plum tomatoes yum!

Hopingforno2 Thu 21-Feb-13 12:51:12

diec i dont think anyone who isnt diabetic has any idea how hard it is and that bf and trying to lose weight only make it harder!

When are those of u still pregant finishing work? Im finishing up around 10th march as i figure latest for lo arrival will be beg of april and would like a few weeks with ds before baby arrives(starting to worry about how i will split my time) also if baby keeps getting bigger at rate she has been then worried i may even go in earlier lol

mylittlepuds Thu 21-Feb-13 13:16:04

My DH 'warned' me about eating a biscuit the other day. "Should you really be doing that?"

Also no longer DH. Just H. They are lovely most of the time but really it's only us T1s who live it that know it.

My parents were awful when I was a teenager (I was obv an angelwink) but whenever I had a headache, which was quite frequent being all hormonal etc, my dad would always say, 'sugar level high is it??' angry Dp tends to leave me to it which just makes me feel unsupported to be honest I'm quite needy though anyway grin

Hopingforno2 Thu 21-Feb-13 13:48:22

Welll think i should prob phone my dsn as this bg is taking the p**s now went to bed last night at 5.5 was 12 by 3.30am took 7u and was 8.4 at 8am seriously 7u to go down by 4!! So took 21u n waited till after id dropped ds to nursery to have a bowl of cereal 1.30pm 7.7 sad im now taking like 30u for a sanwich etc at lunch and anywhere up to 34 at dinnertime. My levemire is 16/20 tho im going to put that up to 22 tonight and possibly 18 in the morning this baby is going to be massive at my growth scan on monday!!

So the last 2 days have been pretty awful - loads of readings in double figures, endless tests and corrections. I've had a temporary basal rate running since yesterday morning, and I do believe it's fixed things - my basal rate has gone up by a massive 25%, literally overnight shock

Just need to programme in the actual changes now, so that I don't get buzzed at every hour day and night.

It's thrown me a bit, as my ratios (which I thought were massively off) actually appear to still be the same as pre-preg.

mylittlepuds Sun 24-Feb-13 19:09:30

Oh Rue! How are things today? How many weeks are you now?

Looks like my basal has definitely been off, things have been much better today. I'm 26 weeks today, so 10 to 12 weeks to go...and not remotely ready grin

mylittlepuds Sun 24-Feb-13 21:23:55

Well I have to say...since upping my long-acting things have been a lot calmer! My ratios at your stage were similar to pre preg, not massively more. But since 30 weeks I've really had to bite the bullet and hike them up!! It's really quite scary! I'm on 5u per 10g for breakfast and 3u to 10g lunch and dinner.

Hopingforno2 Mon 25-Feb-13 09:38:21

puds im on massive amounts of insulin now like 30u at lunch and 34-36 at dinner also on 39u levemir per day shock

Just about to go for a growth scan bit scared lol

You'll be fine hoping! Let us know what they say smile

dieciocho Mon 25-Feb-13 11:29:16

puds, yes, my ratios were exactly the same after about 28 weeks, so don't panic! grin

dieciocho Mon 25-Feb-13 11:40:36

hoping fingers crossed that your baby is not breech any more - the heartache V caused me with her breech-ness; well, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Hopingforno2 Mon 25-Feb-13 11:44:15

Well baby is now 6lbs 4oz so just over 1lb in 2 weeks holy s**t this is they said most likely down to the rise im having from 3am to 8am so my levemir is to go up another 2u see how it is for a cpl nights then up again if still high sad so due to baby size and history of bleeds plus strep b positive i have been booked for an elcs on 4th april this is a latest of date. A little dissapointed but gotta do what is safest for the baby and me i guess. I asked about skin to skin on table and was told that wouldnt be possible due to lack of space and babys temp sad so cheesed off about that as a diff mw had said i could!

BonaDea Mon 25-Feb-13 12:09:15

Hi all - was someone asking when we all finish work? Hmmmm? THIS FRIDAY!!!!!! I will be 35+3. Thank god, I am so ready for it, and just hope I get at least a week of peace and planning before LO graces us with his / her presence.

My DH is still D for now. He is not great with understanding hypos either but hasn't quite tipped me over the edge. He is good at 'getting it' when I test and it says 2.4 or whatever, but then I have a biscuit and immediately he expects me to be back to normal. Quite frustrating. I have my appt with lactation consultant next week, so when I have chatted everything through with her I am going to sit him down and explain what a bloody nightmare it is going to be. Also, because I was diagnosed so late in life - aged 28 - my mum also has no real clue about it, so am a bit worried about how I'll cope even when she's here....

As for ratios - you lot are wimps!! I am routinely taking 40+ units for all meals. I am having to get my Novo prescription filled weekly because 5 cartridges only last that long. It is completely bonkers. My nighttime levemir alone is up to 36u! I woke up at 4.6 at 3am this morning, was happy with that and decided not to do a Novo dose as usual at that time, but lo and behold was 8.4 when I woke. 8u, no breakfast 9.4. Mental mental mental!!

hoping - as everyone has said to me, try not to worry about what the scans say. They are inaccurate a lot of the time! My LO was 5lbs 15oz last Tuesday, but thankfully I am not being scanned tomorrow when I go, only next week! I don't want to be told he / she is now 7lbs or something!

Hoping can your dh do the skin to skin? Sorry you're disappointment, not long now though smile

BonaDea Mon 25-Feb-13 15:25:46

hoping - sorry, didn't see your worry. I am also worried about potential lack of skin to skin. I think it probably varies massively depending on who you speak to.

But I have still written it into my birth plan and DH is under strict instructions to INSIST that I get skin to skin and hold the baby while being stitched (if I have a c-s), even if someone has to help me hold the baby there. I have also written in my birth plan "Unless my baby requires medical attention, if I am unwell and unable to hold my baby, my husband is to have immediate skin to skin contact for as long as possible". I have written something very similar if the baby has to go to SCBU - one or both of us is to then have skin to skin / kangaroo care as soon as possible and if I am not well enough to do it, DH is to do it.

As someone told me recently, just remember: IT IS YOUR BABY. You can hold him or her whenever you like, and they only have reason to stop you if there is a risk to the baby's health (you are perfectly entitled to risk your own health if you choose to!).

dieciocho Mon 25-Feb-13 17:07:18

hoping, I definitely second bona's response "IT IS YOUR BABY. You can hold him or her whenever you like, and they only have reason to stop you if there is a risk to the baby's health (you are perfectly entitled to risk your own health if you choose to!)."

Totally right!

Hopingforno2 Mon 25-Feb-13 21:29:07

Thanks ladies, i think the midwife thought i was insane! She said that my oh may be able to do it but said there wouldnt be room for them to put baby down my top and it was too cold for baby to have skin to skin right there and then sad

Hoping - I had ELCS with DD, and my DH did skin to skin with her after she was born (and had done apgars, vit k injection etc). We told the MW when we arrived in hospital, she made sure DH had extra large scrubs to wear (has anyone told you that your OH will be wearing sexy blue scrubs yet btw? grin) so that there was room for DD inside with him. She was rooting at him like nobodys business and his scrubs were a bit soggy by the time we were in recovery and I was ready to feed her, it worked really well.

The MW said she was pleased I'd written it in my birth plan, the Drs weren't too keen but she was brilliant and made sure it all happened. Fingers crossed you get someone just like her!

It hadn't occurred to me until now, but I guess I need to say something this time round, too...head in the sand much?!

Hopingforno2 Tue 26-Feb-13 09:52:28

Thanks bona the not being the 1st to hold and give skin to skin is in fact the most dissapointing part of the elcs for me as it was not unexpected that they may just book me in for one, they might need to put 2 pairs of scrubs together then for my oh to make room for baby he is 6ft 4 and on the heavier side lol.they have said its due to babys size so about 1lb every 2 weeks gain at moment which would make baby around 9lb 4-8oz when born while this is big i thought it would be doable as my sis was 9lb 12oz when my mum had her and she is same build as me and wasnt diabetic! What would happen if i was lucky enough to go in to labour a few days before im booked? Would they let me deliver do i think? Baby has gone in to right position for birth too which is frustrating lol

Hoping is it only the size? Did you have emcs with dc1?

8u for a massive plate of pasta and two Jaffa cakes two hours later 2.7 I really must start concentrating!

This thread is not accepting new messages.