Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant type 1 diabetics, step over here...

(1000 Posts)

I seem to have filled up the old thread and thought I better start a new one! grin Still got ages to go, don't leave me now...

Am currently sat waiting for my 16 week antenatal appt, been here an hour so far and just had BP done and that's it.

Mylittlepuds Thu 31-Jan-13 20:42:30

Hoping I had a very similar thing this morning - 7ish through the night and then by 7.30am without eating I was 11!! I just had my breakfast and took an extra unit and like you was about 9 after two hours. I'm happy with 9 after two hours at the mo...not long for us now Hoping!!! Uh oh! Nine weeks for me if induced at 37 weeks.

In other news I was absolutely RAVENOUS for cereal earlier and as I'd already had my dinner and taken 11u I only had 4u with it, thinking I'd be covered. Big mistake. I'm now at 15.5! It really upsets me when this happens and I don't know why. I worry it makes the baby struggle until things are back on an even keel. Am I just making this up?!

I breastfed for 10 months with DS. I did get my figure back of sorts...but I think you retain a bit of chunkiness while you're a BFing that you don't lose until you stop. I think it's to make sure you have enough fat to keep you going! It really, really helps suck that stomach back in though. That's for sure. I actually had contractions pulling it back in, which are triggered by BFing. My friends who didn't bf say they didn't have the contractions and one has struggled to get rid of that weird pouch thing you get. God that sounds quite bitchy. I'm a nice friend, promise!

Hopingforno2 Thu 31-Jan-13 20:55:11

lol puds im sure ur a great friend, id have loved to have bf but ds was just too lazy an feeder he still takes ages to eat!! Not long at all(bit scared lol) same for me 9 weeks my consultant leaves it till 38 weeks if alls going well.

I didnt mean to sound harsh just that i found dieting was draining when also lacking in sleep etc. Having spoken to the sister mw who deals with diabetic deliverys (aparently my hospital has a ward where room permitting is where all diabetics go) i asked re skin to skin with a cs and was told i could have it but on bf was informed that even with the best control that baby may have to be topped up with formula if low bg is happening??

Ds had formula in SCBU hoping bit has been exclusively breastfed (bar one wobble) since smile

Mylittlepuds Thu 31-Jan-13 21:29:14

Shit 16. Is there anything I need to be doing other than correcting?

newbie6 Thu 31-Jan-13 23:07:33

Hi

Mylittlepuds I would check for ketones if you can but also take a correction dose? The joys of pregnancy, hormones and diabetes!

Whoever was asking about c sections and bf, I had an emergency section after a failed 14 hr induction and my baby was born with v low blood sugar so whilst I was allowed skin on skin contact and was given the opportunity to bf, I just wasn't producing enough milk for him and the priority was to get his blood sugar up so midwife told me to formula feed. To be honest although the decision was taken away from me, I still managed to express colostrum so feel better that he got that but he is thriving on formula so don't regret it. As for my figure, I'm pretty much back to normal so don't believe all the horror stories you read about your stomach taking ages to go down and overhang etc as whilst mine isn't 100% back to normal, it's not too bad either....nothing a pair of spanx can't sort, hee hee!

X

If your baby needs a formula top up and you want to breastfeed just ask them to do it from a syringe or cup, there's really no need for a bottle so early.

Glad you're recovering well newbie smile

Mylittlepuds Fri 01-Feb-13 08:04:16

Back to 'normal' ie. battling heinous dawn phenomenon!! Ha! No ketones just worry...

My DS had formula in hospital for low blood sugar. I wasn't given any other option - just told he needed it and so I gave it to him in a syringe in addition to colostrum.

I never give him any more formula until he was past 10 months, so it didn't interfere at all with breastfeeding. I presume the midwives knew that the colostrum wouldn't boost his blood sugar fast enough?

Puds ds was given 1ml/hour and I didn't have enough colostrum for that. I suppose its keeping a steady supply, although he was on glucose only for a bit after that as milk was making him hypo confused I also read that if you have diabetes it can take an extra day or two for your milk to come in?

Hopingforno2 Fri 01-Feb-13 09:37:18

Hi i had heard about the milk taking a while to come in, mines was like 4 days so im going to ask about stimulation prior to birth?

dieciocho Fri 01-Feb-13 10:09:11

V had my colostrum form a syringe in hospital , but as she had low blood sugar and the policy is not to allow patients out of High Dependency, let alone home, until baby has 2 readings above 3mmol, we asked for her to be given formula for the first night only.

My control during pregnancy had nothing to do with her blood sugar readings, if that's what you mean hoping. Babies born to T1 mothers almost always have low sugars at birth. That's my understanding. Something to do with the changes from "food" via placenta to food from breast...? confused.
I have read that colostrum doesn't contain much carbohydrate, it's mostly fat, so it makes sense that it wouldn't be enough to raise blood sugars.

Anyway, we're now in our 4th week of life and V is breatsfeeding. So giving her that formula from a bottle on her first night hasn't buggered things up; yes, it was slow and frustrating to begin with, but now seems fine.

My milk took 4 days to come in, but not sure if that's due to T1 or due to emcs. I've heard that both can be contributory factors.

I had a normal vaginal delivery and took four days for mine to come in, usual is three days I think?

Hopingforno2 Fri 01-Feb-13 11:54:50

Aw i really hope my milk comes in quicker this time.

Ok so just tested having taken an extra unit of novo at breakfast(it was late so bg was 7.2) over 2 hours later 11.8?? What? 2u correction taken to see if that helps but if this keeps up myb i need to up my morning levemir??

Mylittlepuds Fri 01-Feb-13 17:00:55

What's your morning ratio now Hoping?

Mine is creeping up and I know we're around the same point. I now take 7u with a piece of bloody toast which is 15g. So I'm about 4u to 10g for breakfast!

Mylittlepuds Fri 01-Feb-13 17:02:51

Ooh also...I'm starting up a support group for diabetic mums. I will inbox you all with the details as don't want to reveal myself on here! What do you all think?

Hopingforno2 Fri 01-Feb-13 17:22:28

puds yeah about the same as reckon im gonna need to try 14u tommorow with my breakie. Tho ratios ha mines change every 2-3 days. The support group would be a good idea i was just thinking where do we move the thread when we have all delivered smile

Great idea puds smile

Sounds like a plan, puds

In other news, I have come down with a stinking cold/virus thing and all I want to do is sleep! Fell asleep on the sofa this morning after I got home from playgroup with DS, his lunch was a bit late as a result. DD has it too, she's not very well at all so thinking about PG has taken a bit of a back burner this week. It has given me that definite kick up the bum though and I'm back to doing a normal (PG level) number of tests, so that's positive.

Onwards and upwards, hopefully.

Mylittlepuds Fri 01-Feb-13 22:15:05

Oh Rue! Has it affected your levels?

Hopingforno2 Fri 01-Feb-13 22:19:20

Aw rue hope ur dd and you feel better soon.

my ds has been ill For what feels like weeks had tonsillitis at beg of jan and last week too just really hope he continues to pick up now or ive no idea What to do sad he now has a bit of a runny nose is this normal do u think? His temp has been fine so far. Im prob just being paranoid as im working tommorow n he is at my mil staying.

Mylittlepuds Fri 01-Feb-13 22:36:24

Hoping my DS has had a horrible, horrible cough for bloody months now! Keep taking him to the docs but they keep saying it's not a chest infection. His nose has also been like a tap for ages. I am just thinking as long as there is no temp and his appetite is fine then he's okay smile x

Hopingforno2 Fri 01-Feb-13 22:48:57

puds we r not having much luck are we!! Im just hoping that now his antibiotics r finished he doesnt come down with it again it breaks my heart to see him ill and dont know how il cope if he is ill wen this baby comes along just hate when i cant be with him seeinh him for myself plus mil is usless at coping when he is ill

dieciocho Sat 02-Feb-13 02:07:12

Good morning all,
Yes, I'm posting at 2am, V's not sleep well...at all between 00:00 and 04:00 basically.
Sorry about all the poorly little ones out there.
I'm on antibiotics for another flippin' uti - can antibiotics affect blood sugars, does anyone know?

Bizarrely my levels aren't too bad, though I think that might be because I'm hardly eating either. It's not much fun. And it's making me paranoid about checking so I'm catching any minor rises pretty quickly.

Woke up with DS 30 mins ago and all I want to do is go back to sleep though!

Just had a letter through for my first diabetes review since having Felix confused better get my act together!

Hopingforno2 Sat 02-Feb-13 14:04:08

Hope it goes well spotty

The high bg between breakfast and lunch is becoming a bit of a pattern and ive put up levermir and novo but only by 1u may need to be 2?

Ok so i called to check on my ds im told he is ok still a bit white an lips are dry. He has eaten some cereal this morning but only ate half of a bag of choc buttons which isnt him lol am i being overprotective?? Also mil has taken him to a softplay which i dont think is a good idea at all!!

This thread is not accepting new messages.