Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant type 1 diabetics, step over here...

(1000 Posts)

I seem to have filled up the old thread and thought I better start a new one! grin Still got ages to go, don't leave me now...

Am currently sat waiting for my 16 week antenatal appt, been here an hour so far and just had BP done and that's it.

I never had traces until there were problems!

Hopingforno2 Fri 25-Jan-13 10:13:03

I never had problems with ds but im sure they hooked me up a few times but it may have been later on, i have seen others further on getting it done at clinic hmm guess i shall find out soon enough lol

In an unrelated to diabetes thing is anyone else having panicky times re provding for the new baby? My wages are obv going to drop a fair bit when im on mat leave but il be buying more (nappies etc) so when im uncomfy/have heartburn and cant sleep i start feeling panicky about how im going to afford it all.

dieciocho Fri 25-Jan-13 10:14:48

Start now hoping

Bloody hell, just had a "Lo" reading on meter - what does that mean? Below 1.0mmol or something? Does it differ from meter to meter?
I fed V and then went straight in shower - stupid girl - must check immediately after feeding!

Hopingforno2 Fri 25-Jan-13 10:19:30

diec i think it may vary from meter to meter but yes id guess u have a very low bg hope your ok

Diec, hope you're ok now?

Heart scan all looks fine, which was this mornings good news smile but now we're confused, as on Monday we were told probably girl, and today got probably boy! So none the wiser, all things considered.

Oh Rue! When's your next scan? Glad the heart looks good smile

Is there anything worse than having a hypo when you're running late about to leave the house?! So annoying!

Hopingforno2 Fri 25-Jan-13 13:26:41

rue oh no, was baby not playing nice? Babybond have said def a girl for me and hospital were not very nice last time i asked the sonographer was like oh its prob a female

BonaDea Fri 25-Jan-13 14:40:41

Rue - perfect! Glad all is well. Recommend you join my "surprise" gang. Way more fun that way and makes you push harder apparently grin.

Hoping - I haven't had a trace, but the sonographer has a good look at hte baby's heart during every growth scan. Not sure whether they would do a trace as well?

Had another good overnight last night, waking at 5.5. Didn't even do a correction dose during the night as I didn't wake up, although I did take a good few extra units of Novo before bed - 4u even though I was only 8.9 before bed. That, plus the extra Levemir seems to be doing the trick for the time being. It is just lovely not to wake up on the back foot and feeling guilty every morning which is what has been happening!

BonaDea Fri 25-Jan-13 14:46:38

p.s. diec - don't think I've ever had a "LO" but seem to remember from the instruction manual that it means under 1mmol so pretty darn low!

a friend of mine - not diabetic but actually suffers from low blood sugar anyway - always just got herself something to nibble on / drink while she was breastfeeding. So she grabbed herself something from the fridge and had it at the same time she fed her baby each time. Maybe stock up on some cans of coke or lemonade or cartons of smoothie or something so that when Violet is drinking so are you? Might ward off those lows and keep you hydrated too smile

Well next scan is start of March I think, but I don't know whether they'll check gender then or not. Wait and see, really!

Diec I used to do exactly what Bona is suggesting - every time I BF I had a packet of jelly babies, a pint of water, and a sandwich/biscuit/cereal bar or similar next to me. Just in case...

dieciocho Fri 25-Jan-13 15:10:20

Yes, I know, I know blush. It's just another readjustment phase, kind of like each trimester - trimester 4, shall we say?!

I was 12.7 15 minutes after - I'd eaten 8 teaspoons of honey and a glass of milk.

Then when I had lunch (cheese and pickle sandwich) I decided to experiment by having NO insulin shock as I was going to feed V immediately afterwards.
Wow, after her 45-minute (intermittent) feed, my zero-insulin-blood reading was only 9.6
That's how much energy a hungry baby can suck out of you, ladies!

Good news re: scan rue. It was quite fun not knowing sex actually, made people more interested.

BonaDea Fri 25-Jan-13 15:21:49

diec in many ways sounds dreamy! Imagine being able to eat something without having to mess about with carb counting, ratio applying and injecting. Luxury!

I think iI've heard it called the "tenth month" rather than the 4th trimester - huge period of further adjustment!

Hopingforno2 Fri 25-Jan-13 17:07:31

bona im not too sure if im honest i just had them last time but seen as how that was almost 5 years ago myb they dont shall report back if/when i do have one smile

I was 9.4 this morning shock not sure what happened.... Had weird dreams last night possible hypo in my sleep? Gave 6u for two hot cross buns covered in butter now 3.4 argh

Hopingforno2 Sat 26-Jan-13 16:32:14

Well my levels were fine until now but im sure its stress, my ds is ill again and im stuck in work worried sick about him 6pm cant come quick enough!

dieciocho Sat 26-Jan-13 18:31:13

hoping, yes, I understand that stress can make your levels high. Poor you.

I thought I was having massive hypos in my sleep as I kept waking up bathed in sweat, but with pretty normal pre-breakfast readings.
I've now read that night sweats are common as it's just your body getting rid of all the accumulated fluid (from fat feet etc!). Who'd have thought it?

It might not be true though!

Diec I'm still getting night sweats almost nine weeks on its pretty gross blush

BonaDea Sun 27-Jan-13 11:52:18

I'm also hot and clammy at night! We've had the radiator in our bedroom off all through this cold weather. It's cold when you first get into bed but soon warms up. Thermometer (bought for baby coming, already in use ) suggests that the room is normally between 16-18 degrees so not too cold at all!

Mylittlepuds Sun 27-Jan-13 12:26:25

I think I'm just destined to hover around 9 for the rest of this pregnancy!! Can't bloody get it down and keep having to correct after random-non-food-induced rises. Arggghhhhhhhh!

In other news I've started having nightmares about bloody insulin now. Dreamt I took 100u instead of 10u last night...

How is everyone?

Hopingforno2 Sun 27-Jan-13 13:29:32

Hey puds ive been having nightmares about prem birth well until last cpl nights now just not sleeping much ds has tonsillitis back again his throat is infected and has impetigo sad he is really ill wont eat only drinks a little when encouraged was seen out of hours last night and has oral antibiotics 4 times a day and an antibiotic cream wish i could take it away from him

BonaDea Sun 27-Jan-13 13:47:17

Puds - what about increasing your background insulin? If you're 9 before a meal and 9 after, sounds like your Novo is doing what it should. Perhaps you need more basal in the first place so you are starting lower?

Haven't had dreams about insulin - yet- and haven't had any more giant baby dreams either! Been a while but several times in the past ive taken my evening levermir dose in novo rapid instead!! These days would not be so problematic and a light snack would sort it, but back in the pre preg days it meant 200g carbs right before bed!!

Mylittlepuds Sun 27-Jan-13 13:57:41

My goodness Bona - a slip up like that would actually have me ringing 999 I'm that scared!

You're right - it's time to up my background again. I'm 13 90 min after a sarnie and so in a right foul mood angry. It's non sensical but when things are out of control like this I worry about the immediate impact on the baby for some reason. I don't think there is any right?

Lol at giant babies...

Mylittlepuds Sun 27-Jan-13 14:35:57

I'm just not coming down. Arrrgghhh! No ketones but starting to worry.

Hoping sorry your ds is poorly.

Puds calm down your baby and you will be fine you're just having a wobble you can sort it smile hot baths always bring my levels down?

I never dream about insulin but frequently get night terrors, sleep paralysis and dream that my teeth are falling out hmm

Mylittlepuds Sun 27-Jan-13 14:55:08

Spotty that made me laugh - you sound like my DH. For God's sakes woman calm down!! Going to go and take another correction in a bit - I'm just wary of stacking them up and then coming crashing.

Ooh I'm sure teeth falling out means something significant...

This thread is not accepting new messages.