Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Poorly in early pregnancy - please reassure me

(11 Posts)
ReindeerOutdoors Mon 10-Dec-12 09:08:06

Hope I'm worrying about nothing....

Have felt really poorly with sore throat and bad cold, blocked sinuses all weekend. As I'm in very early days of pregnancy (only about 4 or 5 weeks) I thought it was best not to take any paracetamol and just survived on lemon and honey.

Today it seems like it's turning into a bit of an ear infection, ear seems swollen inside and hearing feels muffled. I've stupidly turned to doctor google and haver read that it's better to take paracetamol so that your temperature doesn't get too high.

Could there be damage to the pregnancy if I've had a temp and not treated it? I've made a doctor's appointment to get my ear checked out today but now I'm starting to worry. I thought it was just a bad cold, although it did seem pretty bad. Should I have done something sooner?

I do have a tendency to over worry and hope that's what I'm doing.

lookingfoxy Mon 10-Dec-12 09:11:17

You are over worrying, dont panic.
You can take paracetamol and even antibiotics if you need them which you might if you've an ear infection.
Your doc will sort you out.
I've had constant colds/runny noses, just the time of year im afraid.
Hope you feel better soon.

BahSaidPaschaHumbug Mon 10-Dec-12 09:15:47

No danger at all. You can safely take paracetamol in pregnancy, honestly, its fine.

See doc, follow the advice/prescription, go home and wallow til you feel better.

OComeAllYeFaithBaby Mon 10-Dec-12 09:32:45

Trust me, I'm on regular paracetamol (and codiene!) in my pregnancy due to a chronic health problem. I think it's wise to get checked out by the GP. If they suggest antibiotics just make sure they're aware you're pregnant. Hope you feel better soon.

ReindeerOutdoors Mon 10-Dec-12 09:33:46

Hi, thanks for replies. I know now that it's safe to take paracetamol. What's worrying me is that I didn't have any over the weekend, so might have got a temperature and left it untreated?

OComeAllYeFaithBaby Mon 10-Dec-12 09:36:05

Paracetamol will help but your body would work on getting it down itself. How high did it go?

ReindeerOutdoors Mon 10-Dec-12 09:38:54

I don't know, I don't even know if I had a high temp. I just felt really rotten.

OComeAllYeFaithBaby Mon 10-Dec-12 09:44:15

If it had spiked to over 39 degrees I think you'd know. See your GP, get that reassurance but I do think you're over thinking it a bit!

ReindeerOutdoors Mon 10-Dec-12 09:45:59

Thank you. I've just wanted this pregnancy to happen for ages and now it has I think I'm scared I'm going to make it go wrong. I'll try and relax smile

OComeAllYeFaithBaby Mon 10-Dec-12 09:47:32

I knw that feeling all too well! smile

ReindeerOutdoors Mon 10-Dec-12 10:02:07

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now