Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

bottles and sterilisers?

(24 Posts)
WendyWillow Tue 11-Dec-12 19:37:02

Sorry, in not fin...

WendyWillow Tue 11-Dec-12 19:36:24

Can't you just boil the bottle fin water for ten minutes to sterilize?

12ylnon Tue 11-Dec-12 16:21:17

Loved the MAM bottles, they're also self-sterilising now which is a big bonus as there is no need for a separate steriliser. Used both avent and tommy tippee ones and hated them both. I found the avent ones had such a long teat for such a wee little mouth and TT ones had such a wide teat that if DS pushed his face into them it would leak everywhere.
RE milton, i hated the tablets/ liquid. It smelt like bleach which made me a bit uncomfortable about giving it to DS.

I have 10 week old twins and I use Milton. Each baby has a Milton tub (15 quid each in Mothercare). I use Avent bottle with the girls. Happy with both. Friends gave me a Avent & Tommee Tippee sterilisers. I found them a hassle and went out and bought the Milton tubs.

stargirl1701 Tue 11-Dec-12 09:34:17

Ooh. Good idea for the dishcloths!

CoolaYuleA Tue 11-Dec-12 01:25:53

I have severe contact dermatitis on my hands. Any washing up liquid, including sensitive, causes my hands to crack and bleed horrendously. Handwashes do the same unless I moisturise immediately after washing my hands.

I recently stopped using a Milton cold water steriliser after 13 months of daily use. It never affected my hands at all. I used to love the smell of Milton before I had DD - once she was born I couldn't smell it gutted.

DH bought the Avent steam steriliser and we also used a microwave one for a couple of weeks whilst away. Milton was easier than the steam one because you only need to do it once a day, then you can put in and take out all day without having to redo the steriliser. With a steam steriliser if you open it but don't use everything in it you have to re sterilise whatever is still in there as opening it renders everything unsterile. With the microwave one we found we had to throw away dummies and teats after a couple of goes - we live in a really hard water area and the microwave was literally welding limescale to them. They would go in clear and come out cloudy with limescale.

Personally, having used all three methods, I am a firm advocate for Milton sterilising. It's easiest, cheapest, most convenient and when you empty it you can use the water your pour out to sterilise dishcloths grin.

So that's why my fingers feel so awful?? The Milton? Eugh

PetiteRaleuse Mon 10-Dec-12 21:59:51

I wore gloves narmada.

narmada Mon 10-Dec-12 21:01:05

Milton really really knackers your hands in. Mine and DP's were like crocodile skin after a few weeks. I guess you could wear rubber gloves.

Snowflakepie Mon 10-Dec-12 17:50:45

I have an electric one, got on an offer when it was half price in boots. With descaling it will do DC2 as well, not too pricey. The smell of Milton makes me boak, couldn't have that near my baby sorry.

SevenElvesAndAReindeer Mon 10-Dec-12 16:41:53

I use Milton, they sell the big blue tub in mothercare for £10. So much cheaper than an electric one.

PetiteRaleuse Mon 10-Dec-12 15:46:57

I like avent bottles. I use milton tablets when away. You use one a day so cheap and easy. I wouldn't buy a steriliser again.

StrawberriesTasteLikeLipsDo Mon 10-Dec-12 15:43:09

Ive got the MAM bottles for this baby, and the microwave steriliser to match which can also be used as a cold water steriliser, I have milton tablets for sterilising toys etc and travelling.

stargirl1701 Sun 09-Dec-12 21:25:49

It's the big blue tub. I must be older than you - my mum had a big orange cylinder grin

alwaysamummy Sun 09-Dec-12 21:17:44

thankyou my lovelies for all your replies. i'm avoiding the microwave ones (maybe) as i have managed to melt two of them in the past (yes i know lolol). I am fond of Dr Browns bottles, the last time i bought them i could only find really large ones, wonder do they now do newborn tiny ones? and interested lots in the milton cold steriliser, is this like the ones our mums used to use? the big blue tub? or maybe i'm a wee bit behind times. :-)

Why do you want to avoid a microwave one?

NervousAt20 Sun 09-Dec-12 21:10:32

I have the tommee tippee electric one

Jayne266 Sun 09-Dec-12 21:09:30

I use dr browns and podee bottles and use a microwave steriliser am afraid. But I have the cold steriliser bags for when I go away. I saw some electric sterilisers at my local NCT sale cheeper than new.

babysaurus Sun 09-Dec-12 21:08:25

I use the mirowave one too, the Tommee Tippee one. Can I ask why you don't want to use microwave one's (am nosey!)

stargirl1701 Sun 09-Dec-12 21:05:18

We have Milton here. Pretty simple to use.

Jollyb Sun 09-Dec-12 21:03:11

Milton cold water sterilisation and Dr Brown's bottles for us

lookingfoxy Sun 09-Dec-12 20:55:56

I also used avent bottles and microwave steriliser, was great, am going to get them for this time round as well.

Elkieb Sun 09-Dec-12 20:50:16

I use avent classic bottles- they are 11 months old and are still like new. I have the microwave steriliser which I think is great so I can't help you there!

alwaysamummy Sun 09-Dec-12 20:38:37

Hi everyone. wondering has anyone any ideas on bottles and steriliser sets? i'm wanting to avoid microwave sterilisers with this new baba, and the electric ones seems very expensive! anyone still use milton? and those MAM bottles? any other suggestions most welcome. :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now