Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Buying basic baby clothes - is the list below enough?

(60 Posts)
rainand Sat 08-Dec-12 14:47:35

Hi,

Please can you help and let me know whether the following is enough in relation to clothes or have I missed something? I am not planning to buy anything fancy, and I think as its my 1st people will give anyways. My baby is due in May, and I'm planning to buy the sleepsuits from M&S or John Lewis.

Newborn size

6 sleepsuits
3 bibs
1 hat
1 bootees
1 cardigan

0-3 months
9 sleepsuits
3 bibs
1 hat
1 bootees
1 cardigan

3-6 months (should I wait till after birth to buy this?)
6 sleepsuits
3 bibs
1 hat
1 bootees
1 snowsuit

Especially for the newborn size and the 0-3 months, does this feel like really less or too much? Also, is there a need to get vests if it'll be wearing a sleepsuit? Considering the initial months will be in the spring/summer (but then again spring/summer is so unpredictable now).

Does the baby need mittens? I don't like them, as babies tend to look so uncomfy with them on!

Thanks for all your help! smile

Fairylea Sun 09-Dec-12 10:32:44

Definitely vests. And some long sleeve vests (v cheap in Tesco) are great for layers when the weather is cold. Thin layers better than thick ones.

Also consider cutting the feet off sleepsuits to make them last longer! Just roll the edges back and stick a pair of socks on when they get tight round the feet... and spend the money saved on nicer stuff !

ghosteditor Sun 09-Dec-12 10:49:53

Some good advice here smile.

Just wanted to say that my DD was not very sicky and with reusable nappies we didn't have all that many leaks. DD also loathed her clothes being changed so we only changed her if she was very wet, not just if she was a teeny bit sick.

So we only had about 8 sleepsuits and about 12-15 vests I think.

Love the bandana style bibs as they sit higher at the neck and avoid damp seams chafing neck skin.

Last summer our house got up to 28 degrees, so 3 month old DD was in just a vest for sleeping, or just a nappy on the hottest days!

Vests definitely essential. John Lewis sizes are quite big. Cardigans often still fit with just the top button done up when other items are outgrown! Layers are much better than bulky snowsuits etc. and don't forget socks!

Good luck grin

rainand Sun 09-Dec-12 22:46:39

Thank you everyone. I've been told babies in my family are not on the larger side, so I suspect I will need newborn size. Based on your recommendations, I've made a revised list now (in case it helps anyone reading this in the future):

Newborn size
6 sleepsuits
6 vests
6 bibs
3 hats
1 bootees
2 cardigans

0-3 months
12-15 sleepsuits
12 -15 vests
6 bibs
3 hats
1 bootees
2 cardigans

Other must needs:
Plenty of Muslin cloths (12-20)
3 shawls
Swaddle x 2/4

MyLittleAprilSunshine Sun 09-Dec-12 23:05:20

Loving your revised list

steals it for herself

smile

squidkid Mon 10-Dec-12 06:53:05

Sensible advice and amendments!

Just to add to the newborn size debate, my baby is 10 weeks now and only JUST getting into 0-3 month stuff. She was 6lb 14oz on delivery and full term so not particularly tiny! I guess some people might consider 10 weeks not worth it for buying newborn clothes but it was nice to have stuff that looked cute on her, you know? (I even bought (after I realised she was swimming in newborn clothes) 1 set of tiny baby (7lb) clothes and that lasted her till 6 weeks.)

I found booties totally useless (which is a shame as loads of people gave me them as presents) - and I don't think I've once dressed her in an outfit, it's been vest + sleepsuit all the way. I haven't needed more than about 10 of each, but I don't have a particularly sicky baby.

Have never used a bib

I have found blankets very useful, have about 5 of those, but it is winter at the moment. Again I found padded sleepsuits good for an extra layer when out and for sleeping but you may not need them in May. Giant soft coloured muslins are a very welcome present - bit pricey but much nicer to use - if someone wants an idea for something to buy you!

Congratulations and good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!

fertilityFTW Fri 11-Jan-13 06:13:39

My goodness! Thank you so much OP! Another May baby expected here and you've totally sorted me out. What a helpful post! thanks

Tinselandchocolates Fri 11-Jan-13 08:18:08

Sounds good. May be on a separate list but don't forget the sleeping bags. Invaluable!

Msbluesky32 Fri 11-Jan-13 09:29:41

Hi rainand I'm glad someone has posted this question because I'm in a similar situation - totally overwhelmed by the whole buying clothes process! Thanks for posting!

rainand Fri 11-Jan-13 10:36:14

Msbluesky32, you are very welcome smile

Msbluesky32 Sat 12-Jan-13 09:34:53

Incase it's of interest I just ordered a load of 1 month clothes on vertbaudet - some organic. I also bagged a nice newborn sleep bag. I got 20% off my first order and free delivery. I'll let you know what they look like when they arrive. Here is the sleep bag - which I got for £8 instead of £27

http://www.vertbaudet.co.uk/newborn-baby-nest-white-light-striped.htm?ProductId=702743037&FiltreCouleur=6348&CodBouw=313835087&t=2

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now