Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

38 weeks and labour

(81 Posts)
Kafri Fri 07-Dec-12 21:40:44

Right mums,

What are the early signs of labour - more signs that its imminent iuswim??

So far I've had an increase in discharge, am going to the loo (bm) more and it's looser (not runs, just looser when I go), an increase in wind, sharp 'pains'? very low down - these aren't really bad pains but certainly noticeable, sometimes enough to Mae me stand still or a few secs, BH only started yesterday and seem to have eased off today - not noticed 1 today!!

What do you experienced mums think? Anywhere close or just normal bodily changes in prep for a few weeks time?

MelonThroughaLemon Mon 21-Jan-13 16:26:14

Hello all! I'm assuming everyone has popped by now? Anyone want to update or has a new thread been started that I've missed out on in the haze of nappies and milk! My LO was born three days early on Dec 15th, 1hr established labour, no pain relief (no time!) xxx

monsterchild Fri 21-Dec-12 22:25:53

Me too. Very annoyed and uncomfortable.

I'm at 40 today. Also grumpy smile

1978andallthat Fri 21-Dec-12 18:23:00

I am 40 + 3 now. Grumpy.

yuletopian99 Fri 21-Dec-12 16:51:31

Have still had no conclusive change and getting peeved. Have been having mild cramps and stabbing pain since last night but nothing seems to be progressing from that point. I presume this stage can go on for days but I'm rubbish at waiting for anything and feel like I'm letting dh down as we both got a bit excited and now it's going nowhere..

39 weeks today too

Wow congrats twist and good luck blackcurrants!

I went Christmas shopping today, bit frazzled now! But good to keep active in hope of starting things off.

yuletopian99 Mon 17-Dec-12 15:36:01

Congratulations twist and good luck blackcurrants! am 40 + 2 now and have just had my first serious session of accupuncture to start things. They say it can vary from 3-60 hours to take effect though.. I feel like I've been punched in the back!

Yay Twist - congratulations! What a punctual boy!
I have been having contractions since 4am (9am now) and we are about to call the midwife. . . I've had so many false alarms that I hesitate to do it, but this does feel very 'real'.... let's see!

TwistTee Mon 17-Dec-12 11:25:19

Hi all and congratulations Weissdorn.

My son arrived on Sat morning, bang on his due date, grin.
Waters broke at 4:40 and I had him at 6:20. Very straightforward labour but I only just made it to hospital in time. We got there at 6am smile.

congratulations! How lovely smile

I'm still sodding pregnant- had such a convincing false alarm on Friday night that I called our doula and the people looking after DS1 - 3 hours of contractions 3 minutes long, 5 minutes apart - but eventually they spaced out and I went to sleep, waking next morning REALLY disappointed!

I've got my 39 week checkup on Monday and will be asking for a vigorous sweep! Sending good vibes to everyone else who's still pg on this thread!

1978andallthat Sun 16-Dec-12 17:19:04

Congratulations!!

Weissdorn Sun 16-Dec-12 17:09:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TwistTee Fri 14-Dec-12 20:45:30

Pity parties are the worst but how do you get out of them at this stage? It's not like you can ignore the huge bump that leads you everywhere and occasionally kicks your ribs for good measure smile.

Just read your post Blackcurrant, and it made me realise I haven't been weighed by the MW once this pregnancy, even when I spent the first 7 months spewing hmm. I did weigh myself but not recently, I've been too scared of what I might see.

Just eaten a curry and then spent half an hour cleaning and tidying in the hope that it starts things off. Wishful thinking? I am determined to do all I can to avoid being induced on the 23rd.

I'm in New Jersey. It's been very mild so far this winter, only one big snowstorm and so I'm hoping it doesn't get bad before I have to drive 40 minutes to the hospital! smile

MelonThroughaLemon Fri 14-Dec-12 14:04:12

I like that midwife too (I say as I finish another choccie biscuit) biscuit [tea]

Whereabouts are you in the USA blackcurrants?

I know exactly what you mean about the pity-parties - I've been at mine all week! smile The midwife said on Monday "Oh you've lost weight this week," and I laughed and said "Well it's not because of my amazing diet, I've eaten more cake this week than ever in my whole life!" and she just smiled and said "Whatever gets you through, love."

I like that midwife grin

Had 2 hours of contractions in the night but they faded away. PLEASE let this all happen soon!

MelonThroughaLemon Fri 14-Dec-12 13:06:17

Hey Kafri, I know what you mean about feeling sorry for yourself, I think it's this waiting! It won't be long in the grand scheme of things, just for now I'm sure x

Another update - I appear to have lost some of my plug (ewwww I hate that word!) but it's not bloody (I read that it doesn't have to be?) cramping eased off since I've dragged myself up and around the house, have also had a shower (and a shave just in case sorry tmi!) but still annoyed that with all of these symptoms it could be another week! xxx

Kafri Fri 14-Dec-12 12:32:26

Hey, atm I constantly feel like I need a number 2!! No sign for me yet though I still don't have any cramps etc. BH picking up pace at various intervals.

I feel generally crap today though, nothing specific, just under the weather and the left side of my neck is so sore!!! :-( even I'm feeling sorry for myself at the mo which isn't usually like me!!!

MelonThroughaLemon Fri 14-Dec-12 11:43:17

Hello all! How's everyone doing? Wonder how Weissdorn is getting on?

Well for me since 4/5am this morning I've been getting quite strong period type cramps lower down (below belly button) at fairly regular intervals (every 10/15 mins this morn but eased off now) worse when lie down and pain rooted to where say my ovaries used to get painful before baba! Hmmmm! Not so bad now I'm sitting up/walking around! Now is this something or do I just need a number 2??!!! My mind tells me it's a number 2 but I may be in denial!!! xxx blush

Yeah, I've had similar thoughts! I was induced with ds 1, in 2010- had an epidural and a straightforward vaginal birth. Good luck!

They dont seem to do sweeps here in the usa - i was at 2cm last mon so rather wish I could have one, I feel so.ready!

monsterchild Wed 12-Dec-12 21:51:00

Good luck weissdorn!

Blackcurrants, I am feeling the same way. I am certain pregnancy lasts so long to make you think HAPPY thoughts about labor and delivery! A few weeks ago I was comfortable and scared about labor. Now I am uncomfortable, not able to sleep, always thirsty and have to pee constantly and am more than willing to go through a day of pain to be done with this part!

1978andallthat Wed 12-Dec-12 20:45:45

Good luck weissdorn. That happened to me last time. They'll offer an epidural at same time as induction. Take it. X

Kafri Wed 12-Dec-12 20:24:56

Good luck weissdorn! Keeping things crossed for you (though not my legs as that would be counter productive from my point of view)

And blackcurrants, I'm a 21st mummy too! :-)

Had consultant appt earlier - said they'll sweep next weds and give me a date for induction should that not produce a baby!

Keeping fingers crossed for going naturally before then so we'll see.

DH is funny, every time I say something hurts (spd wise) he asks 'is it coming'? Or 'are we going to hospital'? Bless him, he's a nervous daddy to be!x

hello! I'm also due 21.12 and also TOTALLY DESPERATE to have this baby. Definitely more space to breathe here, but much more pressure on pelvis/lower back... I can't get comfy anywhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now