Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

What Benefits are avaliable to my pregnant, full time working sister

(8 Posts)
TTCmay Wed 05-Dec-12 21:18:55

I was a single mum shortly after having my dd. As others said, ctc and cb. Also think about salary sacrifice for child care savings

The main expense is rent and household bills. Can she get someone in (close friend or sibling?) to share costs? I seriously considered a single parent flat share- I think it's a great idea (can help each other out too) but do need bigger house as need more bedrooms.

Also the dad should be paying maintenance (15% through csa)

TeamBacon Wed 05-Dec-12 13:33:48

She'll also need to work out her housing benefit entitlement, and will also get a percentage of her council tax paid.

TeamBacon Wed 05-Dec-12 13:30:48

Try here

She will likely be entitled to a percentage of her housing costs (depending on salary and where you live IIRC), and WTC and CTC.

Ellypoo Wed 05-Dec-12 13:26:33

She could ask at the CAB, or have a look on gov.uk. I think there are so many variables and things that affect what benefits might be available, it is very difficult for anyone to comment without knowing the exact situation and be an expert on the benefits system.

ShoesBagsDresses Wed 05-Dec-12 12:09:13

Thanks for your replies so far - she'll get mat pay from her work but she will have to go part time once baby is here which means this will significantly fall - she's never been good with money.

I'm thinking abut what she'll be entiled to r.e child benefit - maybe some help with her rent etc, working tax credit, is there a benefit for single parents?

I have no idea and i know she's just not in a place to find out atm.

Thanks again

Viviennemary Wed 05-Dec-12 12:04:26

I expect she will be entitled to statutory maternity pay. Some companies pay more than this. What other benefits were you thinking about. I expect it depends on how much she earns whether she is entitled to other benefits such as council tax rebate, housing benefit child tax credit and so on.

Adviceinscotland Wed 05-Dec-12 12:04:15

Def child benefit and should get some tax credits (unless she earns loads)

She should get maternity pay but maternity allowance is available to some people who don't qualify for maternity pay.

Unsure of the rest

ShoesBagsDresses Wed 05-Dec-12 12:01:14

I'm sure this has been asked before but this is a flying visit with no time to check back posts.

Basically my sister has found out shes pregnant. Not planned but is keeping it. She's not with the man any more and won't be when baby is born.

She currently works full time and privatley rents by herself. She is 30.

She's freaking out.

Is there anyone out there who is in this posistion or knows about it and can just give me a list of benefits she maybe intitled too?

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now