Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

when did you finish work before baby?

(61 Posts)
iamwhaticallpregnant Wed 05-Dec-12 09:42:20

Hi all. I am now 30 weeks and just wondering when it is recommended that you finish work? And when you did?

Ta x

iamwhaticallpregnant Sun 09-Dec-12 11:16:10

Thanks all. I really dont know what i'll do at the moment.
For those of you claiming MATERNITY ALLOWANCE from theGovernment - do any of you know how rigorously it is checked? How the process works once you have filled in yourforms?
My partner wants me to worktillchristmas incase they dont grant it to me because you have to have worked 26 weeks of the yr and next week will be my 26th but hes worried that they might look at every single individual week with scrutiny and rule some out.

TackyChristmastreedelivery Thu 06-Dec-12 22:37:20

Couldn't reach theatre Table.scrubbed. sorry, stupid phone.

TackyChristmastreedelivery Thu 06-Dec-12 22:35:37

I was a delivery suite midwife until 37-38 weeks, working days, nights, for 12 hours. I left when I could reach the theatre table when scrubbed. With my second.

Wearing flight socks really helped with sore legs and varicose veins.

I had no.choice. husband made redundant when I was about 30 weeks.

With first I left at 32 weeks, bliss. Was commuting 140 miles a day and was just such hard work.

If you have actual financial choice, do whatever you feel happiest with smile

Congratulations!

mylittlemonkey Thu 06-Dec-12 22:28:45

I am finishing at 32 weeks. I am sooooo glad I did as am really struggling already and exhausted by the end of the day and I don't have any energy to play with DS etc. My job is a desk job but the hours are at least 9 hours a day plus more when I take work home and it is continuous and stressful with no break at all, not even for lunch.

Longfufu Thu 06-Dec-12 17:19:38

I finished work at 30 weeks. I had a long commute, SPD and wanted to.

MelonThroughaLemon Thu 06-Dec-12 16:05:00

Im on my first week of leave this week! Day 4 in the maternity leave house! I was attempting to work up until the end but just couldn't do it so finished last Friday at 37+4! So glad I did, I'm much more relaxed and it's really allowed me to focus and get things sorted and therefore be calmer about the birth. x

StrawberriesTasteLikeLipsDo Thu 06-Dec-12 15:31:00

With DS1 finished 37+3 had a weeks hol and he was born 38+4, currently 35+5 and have been signed off from 29+3 as i have had various medical issues, and didnt feel bad as my job wasn't very nice tbh! was signed off until my holiday started 34+3, my maternity leave will start 12/12 when i will be 36+4, and baby is being delivered 21/12 (37+6), so I've had a nice long time off before this baby, which sounds lovely but in reality has been overshadowed with various medical issues, it has been nice not to be at work though and has given me lots of time with DS.

blondietinsellyminx Thu 06-Dec-12 15:18:27

I finished at 35 weeks. Was intending to finish at 37 weeks but my boss wouldn't give me the time off over Christmas (i only wanted 3 days ffs!) so I started my mat leave a bit earlier and was paid instead of taking the annual leave. Baby finally arrived at 40+6.

Definitely get it in writing from your manager as to confirmation of your intended mat leave start date and also the date your mat leave/mat allowance payments will start. That'll be a good time to talk about your duties/adjustments to your role as spelt out in the HSE advice smile

ethelb Thu 06-Dec-12 15:00:23

By the way there was a study recently that showed working past 8 months is as dangerous as smoking. Maybe show him that?

Ameliac28 Thu 06-Dec-12 14:48:04

As much as partners go on about "we should work up until the end" their not the ones suffering with the back ache and tiredness! I'm staying on until the end but that's coz I sit at a desk but I have already told my DH that if it gets to much I WILL be leaving earlier! I'm in the same position as you I am getting maternity allowance from the gov but I believe this can start a bit earlier if you want to leave your job earlier. Do what's best for you and your baby, suppose it would be different if your employer didn't make you run around on your feet all day but they do so maybe leave a Christmas x

sheeplikessleep Thu 06-Dec-12 13:07:03

DS1 - finished at 37 weeks, went into labour the following day!
DS2 - finished at 36 weeks, went into labour a week later.

LadyMaryCrawley Thu 06-Dec-12 12:54:28

I'll be nearly 34 weeks when I finish but I'm using annual leave as it didn't seem worth coming back for 2 weeks after the Christmas break, so officially on mat leave from 37 weeks.

My job is mostly desk-based but involves varied hours, and late shifts followed by day shifts are exhausting these days. And my boss is all stressed and horrid and seems to resent the fact that I'm not able to scamper up ladders or move the grand piano/tables/chairs any more (she won't say anything, she just looks. Just because she'd come into work if she was on fire doesn't mean the rest of us would!)

lookingfoxy Wed 05-Dec-12 22:42:11

Im planning on leaving pretty early as im exhausted, im only 12 weeks just now so that may change if I start to feel better. My job involves travelling by public transport between 'clients'.
In my last pregnancy I worked till around 36 weeks, a long commute there and back but in an office and kept much better first time round.

scissy Wed 05-Dec-12 21:58:18

I'm going at 34 weeks, I wanted to go on until beginning of January, then realised that I'd be in the office for 3 days after the Christmas break (didn't fancy being one of 3 ppl in the office over the Christmas period!) Didn't seem worth it :D

redwellybluewelly Wed 05-Dec-12 21:56:49

I am aiming to work FT until 34weeks and then three days a week until 38weeks. I have a job where I am often out and about in site but will move to more desk based work when I go part time.

Dinosaurdrip Wed 05-Dec-12 20:09:28

I finished last week at nearly 37 weeks. I would have finished earlier but I was trying to make it so I was still on mat leave for the majority of the summer holidays. It was so tiring come the end, especially working nearly full time and with 2ds at home (4&3) but needs must just to save a few quid on child care.

iamwhaticallpregnant Wed 05-Dec-12 16:36:03

Thanks jubjubbird - i find it very stressful there due to various factors - and I find the job very demanding physically. I come home very weepy everyday. I find it very difficult to cope with stress generallyand i am starting to worry it might affect the baby.

SneezySnatcher Wed 05-Dec-12 16:22:16

I'm going at 33 weeks. I'm a teacher and wanted to stop at one of the holidays. Easter would have taken me to 39 weeks so I'm going with feb half-term. I got signed off at 35 weeks last time (due to BP) so another reason to go earlier is to avoid that!

jubjubbird Wed 05-Dec-12 15:54:36

I finished at 32 weeks with my first by using holiday. My problem was my v stressful commute on a packed Victoria line during the swine flu epidemic and no time off from my employer, which had initially been promised.

Many women stop this early, you're not alone and you're not being silly. It's your body and you should follow your instincts, not your dp's (you will find this in 10 weeks time too wink).

Less stress will mean more precious sleep and more time to cook healthy meals for yourself too. I have no scientific basis for this, but I'm sure it benefits the babe too. I still value the time off I had then. The only thing I'd say is use the time wisely and, in the nicest possible way, make sure your dp sees this too, otherwise arguments may ensue!

Weissdorn Wed 05-Dec-12 15:11:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DeckTheHallsWithBartimaeus Wed 05-Dec-12 14:50:26

In France maternity leave is 6 weeks before due date (which is 41 weeks) and 10 weeks after. Obviously if you give birth early you still get your whole 16 weeks.

At ante natal class a woman asked if she had to stop at 35 weeks or if she could keep going. The midwife said that the Dr has to sign to say you can keep going and it's max 2 weeks so everyone stops by 37 weeks.

They've found that the more rested women are before labour, the better the labours go (obviously there are exceptions) and the more women are rested after the birth.

StuckOnTopOfTheChristmasTree Wed 05-Dec-12 13:48:31

I'm desk based - but freelance. My contract is definite till 22 weeks, and I'm hopeful for an extension that will take me to 30 weeks. At that point I will stop (I don't think there's much chance of someone taking on a pg freelancer for 4-6 weeks!)
I am looking forward to having some time off to prepare as its unlikely we will have a chance to do much shopping/nursery prep before then!

evilhamster Wed 05-Dec-12 13:27:28

36wks. 6wks were over the summer holidays though- so not really working! Currently 30wks, won't be so lucky and planning to take it until 38wks if I can! However, 2wks of that is holiday (I'm a teacher, currently snowed out of school) so will be a bit less.

FreeButtonChristmasTree Wed 05-Dec-12 13:26:41

I am finishing at 32 weeks but taking holiday for two weeks so starting maternity leave at 34 weeks. But I am expecting twins so I reckon I've done pretty well plus they are likely to come early. I am getting very very tired now and literally counting the days.

ksrwr Wed 05-Dec-12 13:22:24

i finished at 36 weeks, it seems most people in my office finish at 36 or 37 weeks. if i have another one.. IF... i'll finish earlier than 36 weeks i think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now