Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Aargh! I can't sleep? Is it just me?

(68 Posts)
BadMissM Fri 30-Nov-12 03:18:46

Being awake all night was one of the things that caused me to take a pregnancy test...and yes I was. But this is getting ridiculous. Went ot bed at 11.00, and finally got up half an hour ago at 2.30, having had not a minute of sleep. It's driving me mad. Anyone else?

bumpitybumpbump Wed 09-Jan-13 09:40:58

I'm 29 weeks and spend most nights awake between 3am-6.30. Fall asleep again eventually and then alarm goes off at 7.30 for work when I'm in deep sleep mode - which is hideous beyond belief. Can't even contemplate getting up without cup of tea - DH has taken to the spare room so going to buy a "Teamade" to have in the bedroom! Now I'm sat at my desk so tired I don't actually trust myself to send any emails - only another 10 weeks or so to go! I am so over pregnancy (insert usual caveats re. loving my baby and thrilled to be having her however .... grin)

BadMissM Wed 09-Jan-13 11:33:45

Bumpity Happened a bit with DD at the end, but this has been since before \i even knew I was pg, and I'm only 12 weeks now! Did consider spare room last night, but know DH would be offended, plus best mattress on our bed...so might banish him ask him nicely....! I can barely see staright this morning. It's so frustrating!

MJP1 Wed 09-Jan-13 18:23:51

its all preparing us for having the baby, I dread going to bed as I cannot get comfy (back hurts even with a full body pillow) mind races, then its up every 1/2 hour for the tinest wee possible, at 36 weeks I am looking forward to getting morem sleep once bub is here.

sksk Mon 21-Jan-13 04:57:46

I haven't been able to sleep since I was 6 or 7 weeks. Wide awake as I write this! Midwife was most unhelpful. Husband slept in the spare room for a while but this isn't really a long term solution. At first I was getting hungry so I'd have a snack before going to bed. However, that no longer seems to help and I'm 12 weeks now and feel rubbish purely because of the lack of sleep. It wouldn't be so frustrating if I didn't have to go to work and study. I'm so tired, though that even when I am awake I can't do any meaningful work. I've tried everything. I'm not very hopeful that this will get any better as it did temporarily seem to get better but now it's back to where it began.

PhieEl06 Mon 21-Jan-13 05:28:19

Ahh joining this!! I have recently found myself to become an insomniac when preggo! I wake wide awake at 4.20, no need to get up till 6.30! Arrrrrggghh

Muggle1978 Mon 21-Jan-13 05:58:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cupcake78 Mon 21-Jan-13 07:08:18

Me too. Awake every night from 2,3,4 then can't get back to sleephmm. I'm tired, miserable and frankly hate being pregnant! I'd love a full nights sleep where you wake up actually feeling like I've slept.

Only another 3+ yrs to go if ds is anything to go by.

BadMissM Mon 21-Jan-13 10:42:12

sksk Midwife and Consultant were completely dismissive of me too. Am now 14 weeks and still not sleeping. Am exhausted because of the lack of sleep, not the effects of pregnancy.... They don't seem to think it's a problem, but I do....!

We have stupidly enormous bed, but still find it impossible...

PhieEl06 I'm lucky if I sleep an hour before being wide awake for the rest of the night....

Muggle1978 I don't know how you're coping like this teaching (it's what I usually do but unemployed atm)...

Cupcake78 I wake up feeling like I've gone ten rounds with Mike Tyson....am more tired when I wake up than when I went to bed....

Reebok Mon 21-Jan-13 21:03:48

Another insomniac! I feel so tired all the fine but can't sleep properly...find myself waking from a doze every 45 minutes from either nausea, dead leg or the constant need go pee. I'm only 14 weeks and been like this since HG kicked in at 5/6 weeks. I miss sleeping through the night.

BadMissM Tue 22-Jan-13 15:20:15

Reebok Have been like that from the beginning as well, am also 14 weeks. Mine's restless legs, pain, and the constant need to pee... Feel like I can't remember a good night's sleep, and if I achieve dozing in the daytime, some bugger always wakes me up!

Reebok Wed 23-Jan-13 03:07:44

Awake again thanks to my stupid bladder and cannot sleep sad

cupcake78 Wed 23-Jan-13 03:49:48

Same here! I'm shattered as well

Longfufu Wed 23-Jan-13 08:52:18

11 weeks with DC2 ...can't sleep. DS1 is energetic 2 year old, I'm broken sad

BadMissM Wed 23-Jan-13 12:32:25

Yep, another bad one chez BadMissM as well. Have ospital appt today and hope am not going to fall asleep on the bus. Couldn't even get to sleep this morning so gave up and got up.

Take it you've all tried relaxing stuff like lavender oil in the bath and Camomile tea as well??

Reebok Wed 23-Jan-13 12:35:38

I only have a shower in my house Badmissm and I can't keep down camomile tea because of hyperemesis. Was awake until 7am and then managed to doze a bit on and off until 9ish.

cyclecamper Wed 23-Jan-13 12:50:49

I'm 19+5 weeks and although I get to sleep, I wake up in the middle of the night almost every night for at least a couple of hours and it's really awake, not half dosing, for no apparent reason. Last night I slept from 11.30-5.30, which is the best in weeks. The middle of the night radio, doesn't help - radio 4 has schools programmes on at 3am, 4extra has a boring play and absolute shouts at you sad. I don't know what's going on!

McRoo Wed 23-Jan-13 15:19:49

I'm 25 weeks and I'm just starting to struggle with my sleep. I didn't used to have a problem falling asleep because I was so tired but the little one seems to have learnt a new trick in utero! Whenever I lie on my left hand side he does something (a kick, a poke, some crazy dance move) that is so incredibly painful it has me cry out in I have to move instantly because it's agony. I'm not kidding - it feels like he has a stick in there or something.

I'm then all paranoid about sleeping on my back so the only option is to stay on my right hand side all night which just isn't comfortable and really restrictive (all of this not helped by the fact that I used to be a tummy sleeper).

Firstly, has anyone else experienced pain like this when lying on a particular side and is the stuff about lying on your back true??

(This is all without the fact that I have to pee about 3 times in 10 minutes before settling down to go to sleep and then getting up in the night again. I am already fed up!)

BadMissM Wed 23-Jan-13 19:17:27

McRoo I can't seem to sleep on my left hand side either, and struggle because I'm a tummy sleeper....

I don't know if the back sleeping is good or not, but sometimes I have to resort to it!

Not helping as well as I was on lots of pain meds before the pregnancy...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now