Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Aargh! I can't sleep? Is it just me?

(68 Posts)
BadMissM Fri 30-Nov-12 03:18:46

Being awake all night was one of the things that caused me to take a pregnancy test...and yes I was. But this is getting ridiculous. Went ot bed at 11.00, and finally got up half an hour ago at 2.30, having had not a minute of sleep. It's driving me mad. Anyone else?

confuddledDOTcom Sat 15-Dec-12 11:15:21

I hope you don't get to this stage or at least not until much later. it's driving me up the wall at the moment sad I always go early and hate this messing my body does until I go. makes me constantly nervous sad

BadMissM Sat 15-Dec-12 19:22:22

I was like that when I had my daughter.... Mine at the moment is apparently just hormaonal, but driving me insane!

confuddledDOTcom Sun 16-Dec-12 00:47:38

Do you have an irritable uterus? Mine started really early on this time, I kept saying I knew I wasn't pregnant because I felt like I was due on (no cycle because of BFing) but it was my IU. By 16 weeks they were intrusive, 20 weeks I started to get them regular and about two weeks ago I went in and was having proper contractions, just weren't doing anything so they let me go home. Since then I'm constantly hard (not meaning to sound rude blush) some are really painful, some I only notice if my hands are on my bump at the time. I'm exhausted because they seem to start up strong in the evening and go through the night until I fall asleep at silly o'clock exhausted, usually calmed down by the time I wake up again.

BadMissM Sun 16-Dec-12 16:12:48

Might be, I know it was also retroverted last time which caused no end of fun. I'm already having moments where it's hard (gosh, that does sound rude, doesn't it) when I'm getting tired. Was like that with DD too. Ended up giving birth to DD early, as how can you tell when constant constractions turn into real ones, esp with first baby? Got shouted at by hospital for not knowing!

confuddledDOTcom Mon 17-Dec-12 01:56:36

Same here! My first came at 19+6, I'd been to A&E the night before and told it was a UTI so I martyred on (having full on contractions) because I had to do labour soon so I'd better well handle a UTI! Got diagnosed as autoimmune, got treated, no expectation to deliver early. At 31 weeks I had a scan, was having pains but they thought nothing of it, even called a doctor round from triage who said it was nothing. About 4 hours later I was shopping with a note pad (I've got to do real labour eventually you know...) and decided to go to hospital, crash section with GA just over an hour after getting there! Next time they decided that as I had been seen and missed in my two previous pregnancies I was to take BH seriously and get checked out. Got to 23+6, after three hours of regular BH I decided to go to hospital. Tested positive for fibronectin so the drip was put up and I was started on steroids. Fortunately I held off for 11 weeks (probably because she was IUGR) but every two weeks I was back in because I wasn't sure if this was it this time. Last time got to 23+6 BH every two minutes so went in, negative fibronectin, carried on getting "BH" went in probably every 3 weeks. Got a positive at 33 weeks so given steroids and kept in, delivered at 34 weeks. This is the first time it's been more than BH and someone has said they could palpate the contractions, they're coming pretty hard and fast but not doing anything. I have always gone in "to be sure" because even now on #5 I don't know and with my history they'd rather just check me out.

If doctors don't know when I'm having real contractions, I'm not taking the risk!

Hope things go easier for you this time smile

BadMissM Mon 17-Dec-12 10:01:49

I know, you're supposed to miraculously know when they have no idea themselves? That's great! It's something I am keeping a serious eye on this time after last time!

confuddledDOTcom Mon 17-Dec-12 12:43:16

Most women know the difference but when it's something you've been putting up with for weeks it's not so easy. Last time I did have an inkling, I was already in hospital and had a positive FFN so I knew it was close. I slept really well for the first time in a week but woke when I had a contraction. When I woke up I got a MW as soon as I could (after drugs round, breakfast and the lady opposite having decels) to put me on the monitor. With the others I've not really known though.

rosamarina Mon 17-Dec-12 12:58:32

Oh, this has started happening to me this past week or so and it's so annoying! Fall asleep like a light when I go to bed, then wake up for a wee and can't get back to sleep for hours, I'm completely wide awake. And it's really frustrating because DS1 has JUST started to sleep through the night on a regular basis and I would love to be able to do the same but now my body isn't cooperating. I have SPD, which isn't helping - it's not painful so long as I lie very still in one position all propped up with pillows, but then I get stiff and sore and want to wiggle about, but when I do it hurts more.

BadMissM Mon 17-Dec-12 17:11:48

Rosmarina Poor you! I have upper back problems, and have had to come off of most of my meds (which included sleeping tablets). I just want to get some sleep too!! I can damn well sleep in the afternoon, but if I do that I have no chance of sleeping at night!

Zorra Mon 17-Dec-12 17:27:56

Ugh, I get to sleep ok then I wake up in the early hours and lie there thinking enraged thoughts and winding myself up. Sigh.

BadMissM Mon 17-Dec-12 20:00:36

Zorra know the feeling!!!

Splinters Mon 17-Dec-12 20:34:50

It's unbearable lying awake when you're so knackered! I'm 30+2 now and getting maybe two decent nights' sleep a week. I always want company but feel like looking at a screen might make things worse.. I prefer it when the baby's wriggling a bit actually, at least it's something to entertain myself with instead of thinking about all the things that seem so much worse in the middle of the noght.

confuddledDOTcom Tue 18-Dec-12 07:14:02

well I think I'm done for sleep for awhile. looks like baby is putting in an appearance shock

BadMissM Tue 18-Dec-12 21:49:52

confuddled OOH! Good luck xxxx
splinters I haven't had any sleep for weeks!!!

confuddledDOTcom Wed 19-Dec-12 15:57:08

thanks bad. I'm 29 weeks so they're trying to keep him in until after midnight when we've had enough steroids. he don't seem to want to stay.

BadMissM Thu 20-Dec-12 18:13:13

confuddled I guess he's going to come out when he's ready, not when they say so! DD turned up at about 31 weeks with no steroids and is nowhumungous bigger than me!

BadMissM Fri 21-Dec-12 01:54:55

-talking to self- Yep, here I am again, 4 hours after I went to bed, still had no sleep so got up and came down to find some other insomniacs!

confuddledDOTcom Fri 21-Dec-12 11:11:02

I had a 31 weeker with no steroids too, she was breathing on her own straight away (had a little help later as she was breathing too fast) you wouldn't believe it now. she'll never be very big because her dad's not but she doesn't look out of place.

BadMissM Fri 21-Dec-12 21:25:25

confuddled Has the LO made an appearance yet, or is he hanging fire? Hope everything's going OK!

confuddledDOTcom Sat 22-Dec-12 02:24:42

14:45 Friday, 3lb 9oz grin he's doing really well, only on cpap and they've been able to drop the levels this evening.

I'm exhausted/ aching and little hope of sleep again. still on a delivery bed which are not good for sleeping on, especially when you're 5'9"!

Sorry not pregnant but almost awake! pregnancy insomnia is awful, very unfair!

confuddleded That's fantastic weight ,I read your thread! congratulations!!!

ohfunnyFRANKENface Sat 22-Dec-12 02:32:08

30+3 and wide awake.

Acid death throat and jumping baby.

Need. Sleep.

BadMissM Sat 22-Dec-12 17:47:06

confuddled That's brilliant, and like wonderland said, great weight. EEp to being on delivery bed, but great to hear all Ok and both of you doing well! xxx

wonderland It seems even worse than normal insomnia!

ohfunny Argh.... that sounds awful xxx

BadMissM Wed 09-Jan-13 02:35:03

And, here I am again at 2.30 am, exhausted beyond belief, but unable to sleep....WHY???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now