Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Brushing my teeth!!

(18 Posts)
Scruffie Mon 26-Nov-12 12:43:11

I know this is an odd question BUT... recently I've started to gag every time I brush my teeth. I haven't had any morning sickness so I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with that.

Apart from not brushing my teeth at all until March, is there anything you can suggest? I've tried using a different brand of toothpaste but it didn't make any difference.

Thanks!

SantasSecretSparkle Mon 26-Nov-12 13:41:43

Have you tried tooth paste that isnt minty?

And actually it stands to reason that the gagging is ms related, I always gag when Im brushing mine but as soon as I take the brush out of my mouth Im totally fine!!

surprise11871 Mon 26-Nov-12 13:44:19

Hi i had this in the first trimester i couldnt stand brushing my teeth as everytime i did it made me gag but i'm sorry to say i didnt find anything else i could do other than persevere through then made sure i used mouthwash and chewing gum as i also had the horrible constant taste in my mouth. Eventually tho the gagging and horrible taste dissapeared about 14 weeks. Sorry i havent been any help but wanted to let you know your not the only one and it did stop. Im 36 weeks now x

Nooneelseisallowedafergus Mon 26-Nov-12 13:45:17

I had this too. Feel your pain.

Scruffie Mon 26-Nov-12 13:53:21

I'll give a non-minty toothpaste a go smile

It's nice to know I'm not on my own!

crunchingautumnleaves Mon 26-Nov-12 14:49:42

There's something in most standard toothpastes that apparently is what often makes pregnant women gag. Think it's SLS (sodium lauryl sulphate which is a foaming agent. Google 'SLS free toothpaste' & you'll have a number of options to choose from, including non mint ones. Also, I found it helped if half way through you spit & rinse, rinse toothbrush then add a little new toothpaste. Hope this helps!

69bex69 Mon 26-Nov-12 15:55:00

With all 4 I had the same prob during the 1st trimester. I just used baby toothpaste during this time.

DaGruffalosBabyMomma Mon 26-Nov-12 16:17:20

I couldn't stand mint either in fact still can't.
Holland and Barrets do a range of toothpastes that were other flavours than mint,ie Aloe Vera, but when I actually read them they were still had various mint flavourings listed in the ingredients apart from I think it was the Promegranate one, (don't hold me to that though!!) which defeated my purpose as it is actually mint that makes me feel sick. I still cannot have mint gum for example.

Another alternative is Lidl's which is what I have at the monent its Herbal Fresh. It's kinda of like aniseed (sp?), it's not that bad but it is cheap as chips (mmmm...chips..) at 49p, and will tide you over as you may find it gets better, and can go back to your normal toothpaste.

DaGruffalosBabyMomma Mon 26-Nov-12 16:22:04

Also I forgot if you can get hold of toothpastes by Dawood and Tanner , they do Sicilian Lemon, and Brazilian Lime flavours which are about a fiver but really luxurious.

mummysmellsofsick Mon 26-Nov-12 16:47:59

I had this. Alternative toothpastes made no difference. I had pretty severe ms though.

Bunnychan Mon 26-Nov-12 19:47:27

I have this! No morning sickness but my toothbrush and I hate each other. I've had to give up mouthwash and have to keep spitting out the toothpaste as its the slimy texture on my tongue that makes me start! I bloody hate it!

pepperrabbit Mon 26-Nov-12 19:56:00

This happened to me with DS1, I actually had to stop cleaning my teeth in the morning sad but could just about manage the evenings.
I checked with the dentist and she said that as long as I cleaned as thoroughly as I could I would be ok.
I have an electric toothbrush, which helped and regular checkups all through all 3 PGs.
Unfortunately the gag reflex is still really strong and even now sometimes I have to stop halfway through (am NOT pg and never will be again!).
DS1 is nearly 9 now, I do still have my teeth so it's not the end of the world. smile or even grin!

Dynababy Mon 26-Nov-12 19:59:44

I had this whole way through my last pregnancy and started bang on 6 weeks this time... Results in full scale puking half the time sad I think it's the foaminess... Definitely connected to ms for me as can brush teeth before bed without eing sick. Must look for te foam free pastes... Last time I ciud't decide what was worse for my teeth, not brushing or being sick!

hjtunny Mon 26-Nov-12 20:02:04

I had this too from 8 weeks until about a week ago along with severe vomiting. I'm 18wks now

LuckyOwl28 Mon 26-Nov-12 21:52:20

I had this from 5 weeks til 16!

I tried all kinds of toothpaste but nothing worked, in the end had to just brush my teeth for twice or three times as long in the evenings when it was more bearable.

Good luck!

DaGruffalosBabyMomma Tue 27-Nov-12 03:09:16

Oh oh its me again!
Someone did advise me that if I really couldnt brush then put my finger in a flannel or gauze and run that over my teeth to clean the surface and then to rinse with a good quality mouthwash but am not too sure how long you could get away with it.

PrimeSuspect Tue 27-Nov-12 08:53:23

I had this with last pg and same again this time (9weeks) though I'm being sick quite a lot too. I figured it was my gag reflex as definitely worse when I brush the back inside bits. Am going to try kid's toothpaste to see if that helps.

cheesesavory Tue 27-Nov-12 10:10:18

I get this too, I think it's a combination of somethign in my mouth and bending over slightly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now