Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

One stone weight gain in first trimester

(10 Posts)
RooneyMara Sat 24-Nov-12 18:30:18

Also I am not exercising at all due to hideous SPD stuff going on, so considering that, the fact I've gained almost nothing in the last few months kind of shows you how it evens out. I should be packing it on right now especially as the baby is growing so much, but I imagine it's taking what it needs from my thighs. smile result

RooneyMara Sat 24-Nov-12 18:28:26

My BMI was around 18/19 and I put on around 2 stone in the first 20 weeks.

It's weird, normally I haven't done that but I had better meds this time and so I was able to eat - and I kept on eating!

Since 20 weeks though I have stopped feeling sick, mostly (it did take a few more weeks to go completely) and now at 34 weeks I have put on about 2/3lb on top of my first-half weight gain.

I know it's meant to be the other way round! Were just odd grin

So to summarise I was 8 1/2 stone, went up to 10 1/2 by about 20 weeks, now 10 3/4.

Any weight is on my boobs and thighs/bottom really - my bump is just bump!

TwitchyTail Sat 24-Nov-12 11:33:05

I started out underweight too (BMI 17.5) and have put on a lot of weight already at 23 weeks. I just assume it's my body's way of catching up and trust that it knows what it's doing smile I eat when I'm hungry, as much as I want, just as I've always done. Don't worry about it.

kirrinIsland Sat 24-Nov-12 11:14:45

I gained a stone in the first trimester, and 2 stone overall. Now, 10 days after the birth, I have am 10lbs over my starting weight. First pregnancy I put on nothing till 22 weeks so the rapid weight gain this time panicked me a bit - but, like you, it was down to constant grazing and carbs due the morning sickness, and so eased off considerably once I was feeling better.

lollypopsicle Sat 24-Nov-12 11:01:48

I've gained a stone too RT my BMI was 20.7 before. I feel huge sad. I too ate lots of carbs (and protein) in the first tri as it helped my MS. My hope is now I won't gain as much as I'm not eating as much anymore. I need to get some exercise, really. Think 'operation moderate weight gain' is going to begin today!

HavingALittleFaithBaby Fri 23-Nov-12 22:10:37

Not for you original weight. It's my understanding you can expect to gain up to 3 stone if underweight, 2 if 'healthy' and 1 if obese.

Blobby11 Fri 23-Nov-12 22:06:13

I put on a stone in the first trimester too as just like you I used carbs to help with morning sickness. I ended up gaining 2.5 overall. I lost it all within 6 months. My starting BMI was 21.

Don't worry you'll be fine smile

Rockchick1984 Fri 23-Nov-12 17:52:42

I gained a stone in the first trimester, 2 stone in the second, and 1.5 in the third; and have managed to lose it all eventually I don't think it's unusual, however it's worth trying to get some gentle exercise done during your second trimester, and as far as possible eat healthily - I did the stereotypical "eating for two" and really wish now that I'd watched what I ate a bit more closely.

Just remember that the lower your BMI to start, the more weight you should expect to gain in a healthy pregnancy, so if you were underweight to start with its less of a problem than if you were overweight initially smile

I was starving hungry all the time in the first trimester, less so in the second, and now chronic reflux is making eating large meals impossible so I am eating child sized portions, more often, but still nothing like the quantity of early on. From speaking to friends I don't think that is unusual. Perhaps you will be the same smile

RTchoke Fri 23-Nov-12 14:47:51

Is one stone a hideous and unusual amount to gain in the first trimester? I feel huge and flabby. I haven't eaten terribly but I usually low carb and morning sickness caused me to carb load so I think most of the gain is down to that.

My starting BMI was just under 20.

Any cheering stories of quick weight gain in the first trimester that later slowed down?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now