Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sickness- did anything work for you?!

(63 Posts)
AmIGoingMad Wed 21-Nov-12 20:49:47

I'm nearly 9 weeks and am realising just how lucky I was when pregnant with DS as I had no sickness. This time it's awful! I keep telling myself its good as its a sign of hormones etc but its getting me down! It's at it's worst in the evenings just when I need to be doing the whole food bath bed routine!
I'm so happy to be pregnant and am just wondering if you have any tips on what worked/ works for you to get a break from it?!?!
Any advice is very welcome!

bumpitybumpbump Sun 02-Dec-12 18:52:32

And fruit pastille ice lollies!

bumpitybumpbump Sun 02-Dec-12 18:51:06

Acupuncture helped me, and ice cold water with a squeeze of lemon. Mine disappeared around 16 weeks and now all I want to eat is fruit which was the worst for making me hurl before!

Wotsits were also my saviour grin

milkymonkey Sat 01-Dec-12 22:50:01

I Feel for you! I had hyperemesis and the only time the nausea stopped was when I was asleep. Even after being sick, usually several times around teatime every day, I just felt ill again after. I had very 'low mood' as well and was signed off work for a week. I think its worse second time round as you are more tired.

Everyone told me it was twins/ a girl yet I had two boys. Eat whatever takes the edge off it, fizzy drinks, orange juice and ice lollies helped first time round but not much did second time I'm afraid. Avoid caffeine if you can and get as much sleep as you can. If you work get some time off!
The only good news is it isn't forever, mine eased about 22 weeks, although that might seem a very long time off and I still felt ill every now and then. If someone had told me 'You're not ill, you're pregnant' I probably would have punched them!! (or thrown up on them)

People banging on about ' it's a sign of a healthy pregnancy' just infuriated me too. I bet thousands of women who don't get any sickness have completely normal, healthy pregnancies. I reckon this is some sh* someone made up in an attempt to try and make people with their heads down the toilet all day feel better. (Would love to know the stats on this mind you! - anyone?)

kimcarl1988 Fri 23-Nov-12 20:42:54

travel sickness bands from the chemist their expensive, but they work wonders i had them with all 3 off mine. they start 2 work straight away

AmIGoingMad Fri 23-Nov-12 19:54:34

Likesoxinbed- exactly the same here- DH has lots of late meetings coming up in next few wks so cooking and doing the whole bedtime thing will be interesting!
Also the tiredness making it worse makes sense as I thought I was tired last time- now that I can't nap when I get in from work/ have an unbroken nights sleep its much more...challenging!
They're worth it though! smile

likesoxinbed Fri 23-Nov-12 14:56:26

Oh I am enjoying reading this and not feeling so alone!! Am thoroughly wretched with nausea this time around, yet hardly suffered at all with DS last time.
OH says it must be a girl but I'm terrified it might be twins!

I am worse definitely if not constantly eating, but there are so few things I feel like eating. Mainly toast with honey on or egg butties at the moment, though a bacon bap has gone well quite well today. Tiredness and being over active is also a killer. I feel such a slob vegging out on the couch each night working my way through all the crap telly, but it's honestly the only thing I feel like doing. On night's when OH is away I really struggle as cooking is a nightmare and DS has to eat!

My other problem is fluids - I'm thirsty but whatever I try and drink makes me feel worse. Can't stand putting milk in a mug. Decaff coffee is OK occasionally, can't look at tea or fruit juice. I can manage a little weak squash but not enough....I've never been a fizzy drink drinker but am desperate so may perhaps try coke? or appletise?

God I can't wait to feel better - especially as I'm not telling anyone yet and I'm really struggling to keep going every day with work etc.

Thanks for the company!

33goingon64 Fri 23-Nov-12 13:04:07

I found the best thing was sniffing a sliced lemon, or better still, sipping from a glass of cold fizzy water with a slice of lemon in it. It was the only thing that helpe, apart from just lying down and going to sleep (wasn't always practical at work!).

BionicEmu Fri 23-Nov-12 12:33:19

First pregnancy I was only sick a handful of times, but this time I'm now 30 weeks and still being sick every day. It's only 1-2 times a day now, compared with the 10+ times a day I had for months on end. Both boys wink

I found I could keep down ice-cold water, so always keep a jug or 2 in the fridge. Cold Sprite/7-up worked too. Contrary to the rest of the world, eating made me feel much worse in the first trimester, but then at about 13 weeks I suddenly switched to eating made me feel better.

Digestive biscuits were great, and so were twiglets. I guess they're sweet or savoury extremes?

Worst thing to eat was chilli con carne with rice. When you puke it up again it just sort of sand-blasts your throat with the rice & minced beef, then the spice burns your raw throat.

Lots of ice lollies and ice cream was good too! Ice cream's nice and cold, isn't too heavy on the stomach and I think the dairy helps with the stomach acid. It's also not too bad at all if it comes back up.

Have just realised I now appear to be choosing my meals/food based on how unpleasant it'll be to throw up. When will this end?!

LissaL Fri 23-Nov-12 11:25:21

Acupuncture worked for me. Well not totally but it eased the symptoms and that's got to be a bonus. Obviously you need to find someone who is very experienced in the pregnancy field.

Nothing, usually. Hospitalised repeatedly because I couldn't even keep down water. However if I could stomach anything it was normally cheap bulk food that is light on the stomach. The kind of thing I would normally turn my nose up at!

Properly artifical blueberry muffins were quite good at one point, I recall. Also little pre-packaged apple pie slices. Nothing homemade, expensive, or nutritious for me!

putthehamsterbackinitscage Thu 22-Nov-12 23:11:26

1st time round I was fine .... Very tired and occasional feeling of nausea if I hadn't eaten but generally felt good.... Just could not face chocolate or curry.... And I am a major chocoholic grin
Had DS that time

2nd time - by 5 weeks I felt awful for at least the whole morning.... Used to throw up as soon as I got up, and again before work .... Before I told anyone, they all assumed I was hungover blush every day ....

By late afternoon I used to feel better and evenings were ok but I had been eating non stop since lunch time ..... But I couldn't face meat.... Or fried stuff and McDonald's was a no no.... Not good when you have 2yo and husband intent on a chicken nugget n Big Mac fix.... But chocolate was back on the menu big style grin ....Dc2 was a girl wink

Travel bands did help a bit and I used to drive for work so usually stayed in the slow lane in case I neede to pull over yo throw up....
My DSil was really sick with both dc ... For weeks on end.... She has 2 DS's....

You can't predict either way .... But if things are different in later pregnancies then possibly sign that is diff gender...?

Mummybear3 Thu 22-Nov-12 22:54:07

For my second two pregnancies (2xgirls), I suffered terribly until soon after delivery. Felt like I was being poisoned. No blooming for me but 24/7 nausea from 5weeks until 40. 30 minutes after giving birth nausea completely gone. For me, I had to avoid anything with even a hint of sugar including fruit! Water table biscuits, sucking on ice cubes, diet ginger beer and acupuncture help a little bit, perhaps. Wasn't near as bad with my first (boy) but still found sugar (biscuits, bananas) made symptoms worse.

drawohamme Thu 22-Nov-12 22:33:06

Full stomach and plenty of sleep seems to be the only thing working for me. The mint tea is doing wonders for bloat but I'm not sure how much more ginger I can eat :s

ldaly Thu 22-Nov-12 22:30:38

Im also 9 weeks and feeling dreadful.I already have 1 if each and wasnt sick with either so it doesnt help me guess the sex.Im finding that I feel worse if I dont eat regularly.Same as lots of others,mostly bread,crisps and biscuits.Drinking loads but gone off tea except when eating gingernuts.Hope we all feel better soon.x

Helentad Thu 22-Nov-12 22:27:09

Ice I know it sounds daft and it was a really hot summer but I used to wake in the night and kick hubby to go get some. We had to buy it in bags as I went through so much.
Rich tea biscuits oh and Soft Mints the green ones. Mint is known to help with sickness and also trapped wind. Polo's didn't work but the Soft mints worked a treat and I still use them now.

devonsmummy Thu 22-Nov-12 21:47:10

With DS mars bars in particular but eating in general made me feel better.
With dd I wish if known about anti-sickness pills!
Every smell of cooking particularly onions, garlic and especially broccoli had me heaving!
After trying every thing suggested I found having 2-3 salted peanuts & sipping water took the edge off it.
I was sick until week 20 from week 6 and really only managed to eat chip shop cod with the batter removed in that time.

leannac Thu 22-Nov-12 21:33:55

Travel sickness bands really took the edge off for me then I had to pretty much eat constantly to feel human!

wingcommandermoi Thu 22-Nov-12 21:24:12

I was sick all the way through. Only eating made me feel mildly better.
I could eat a whole carb based dish for breakfast, always had some sweet things in my pockets for emergency. I put on a lot of weight, and developped gestational diabetes in the last 3 weeks. Back then I said f* it I can't find any other way to deal with this so so be it, I'll put on weight. I hadn't thought about the diabetes. Wish I had known about that risk. Now I'm scared of getting pregnant again as once you've had GD you've 70% chance of getting it again. And if there's something that is completely incompatible with pregnancy sickness, it's GD as you can't eat the bulky stuff that makes you feel better.

Rosiesharples Thu 22-Nov-12 21:19:47

My doctor today recommended croissants!! Who am I to argue!! smile

quail Thu 22-Nov-12 21:13:31

I was sick both pregnancies and the first was the worst. I was sick every five or six minutes, or more often sometimes, I just couldn't leave the loo, all day long. It got a bit better at about 21 weeks (down to about 4 pukes a day) then worse again at 28 weeks and I was retching in the delivery room, and not being allowed fluids because I was having a scheduled c-section.

Things that made it worse: green stuff, vegetables. Hot spicy food was worse to throw up. Cheese the worst.

Things that made it better: constant eating, ice. Ice pops seem to delay the puking, combining the act of eating with a sort of stomach numbing effect. And they replace badly needed water & sugar. Have a huge stash of ice pops, sun lollies, etc.

The main thing that helped: sleep. The reason my sickness started up again badly was I moved to a very different time zone and my sleep went tits up and the ice didn't help any more and I think sleep was the biggest factor. If I got almost no sleep, I couldn't stop throwing up. If I got a lot of sleep, hours would go by with no puking. It's not very easy to get sleep when you're pregnant, sometimes.

Second pregnancy, I took drugs.

nattnatt Thu 22-Nov-12 19:22:20

I'm afraid I tried everything. Again I was fine 1st pregnancy & terrible 2nd. I was nauseous until about 6months & all that helped was pills from the hospital. They stopped the cycle & I could enjoy the rest of my pregnancy. I wasn't keen on anything medical as such but I was feeling so low by that point I'd have done anything.
Good luck and it WILL pass.

SoYo Thu 22-Nov-12 19:06:24

Cyclizine, salted pretzels, very cold water with lemon in, lemon ice lollies or just ice cubes if it was really bad!

keepmesane Thu 22-Nov-12 18:33:11

I was really sick for both of mine (one girl, one boy). Second time around I was recommended to try chewing whole almonds and for some unknown reason that worked for me and was the only thing that did. No good if you're allergic to nuts tho'!

AmIGoingMad Thu 22-Nov-12 18:04:15

Thanks so much for all of these ideas! Just managed to have some beans on toast- such an extravagant evening meal I know grin Hopefully it will remains friends with my tummy throughout the evening! I have lots of your suggestions on shopping list for tomrw! Dug out some travel bands too and managed them through early afternoon but had to have break from them as they were hurting too much! Maybe I'm just a wimp!!!!

madamecake Thu 22-Nov-12 16:37:50

Arrowroot biscuits, orangina and travel sickness bands. Those and snacking pretty much non stop, even as soon as I woke up in the morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now