Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Headache, lightheaded, dizzy, spaced out

(30 Posts)
NoTeaForMe Tue 20-Nov-12 13:07:57

I'm 14 weeks and today this is how I feel, also a bit sick still (though I thought the morning sickness had started to pass!) does this all sound normal? I don't remember feeling like this last time...I did have a few dizzy spells standing on a commuter train but I'm not doing that this time round!

Thanks

HavingALittleFaithBaby Mon 03-Dec-12 14:08:33

I had this in early pregnancy and my BP was really low. My MW said you need to drink twice as much as you usually do. If drinking more doesn't help, you need to get your iron levels checked.

Ameliac28 Mon 03-Dec-12 10:58:44

I felt very light headed and dizzy around that time and my MW said my blood pressure was low so it could be that!! she told me to just be careful when I stand up take everything slow and add a little salt to my dinner and not to eat low fat foods and that should help bring it up a little and it did. Hope you feel better soon x

newyearsday Mon 03-Dec-12 10:16:23

I had the same symptoms and it was low blood pressure. I'm now 27wks and feeling loads better (unless I bend down and then wooo dizzy!). I also take liquid iron cos it's brilliant when you're pregnant and breastfeeding, it's called Feroglobin and tastes really nice (and is easy on the digestive system).

LordOfThe5Rings Fri 30-Nov-12 16:11:15

If it continues, go to your GP. It's normally nothing serious, but it always helps to keep your mind at rest.

I got this at around 14 to 17 weeks and still get it on and off now, just not as much (21+4). It's most likely to be either anemia or low blood pressure. Low blood pressure is normal for pregnancy, but even still there is a certain level they don't want it lower than.

I wish you good luck and hope they ebb away. smile

kittyhello88 Fri 30-Nov-12 06:02:08

Then he can wait on me hand and foot...

kittyhello88 Fri 30-Nov-12 06:01:35

I'm only 10 weeks but vomity and ill with headaches can barely drink water yet I don't have the energy to get up and get some! Can't wait till my man gets home!

RooneyMara Wed 21-Nov-12 14:16:11

I was advised to eat, to keep my blood sugar going, and also if I felt I was going to faint, to take a few deep breaths straight away. It's all about getting oxygen to your brain - and that's why fainting happens, to make you fall over so the blood flows to your head.

I have had to go outside shops and sit down for a few minutes. Head between knees if you're not too mortified smile

It did get a bit better though, I'm 33/34 weeks now and still get a bit breathless from time to time, and have to crouch down or sit down but still haven't actually passed out. I know my iron's low now though which probably explains it - it was fine when I was first getting the fainty thing.

NoTeaForMe Wed 21-Nov-12 13:07:27

Thanks Reindeer , I will see how I feel and give them a call if I need to. I just think of the EPU as being for emergencies and this doesn't feel like an emergency!

ReindeerBollocks Wed 21-Nov-12 12:56:01

Fluids. I had low blood pressure in my second pregnancy, and they advised me to drink more. Other than that I dont remember any advise. Mine wasn't dangerously low, but they do admit women with really low blood pressure and keep them on bed rest!

Do check in with EPU if it continues though.

NoTeaForMe Wed 21-Nov-12 10:48:24

I feel a bit better today. Still very weak and a bit headachey but not as dizzy as yesterday. I think I'm going to leave it for today...EPU seems a bit dramatic, can always see the dr another day if I need to!

Out of interest-those of you saying it was low /high blood pressure for them is there a cause (other than pregnancy!) what have you been advised to do?

Paradisefound Wed 21-Nov-12 10:42:12

I have the same symptoms, for me it's due to low blood pressure.

ReindeerBollocks Wed 21-Nov-12 10:10:08

Good luck at the EPU, they'll probably check your blood pressure and do bloods. It's likely to be either low blood pressure (I have similar symptoms in preg from this) or anaemia. Hope you feel better soon.

NoTeaForMe Wed 21-Nov-12 09:10:22

I'm sure I'm mis-reading it Emerson but I don't understand your last sentence! What does it mean?!

emersonkelly Wed 21-Nov-12 09:00:27

No, nothing serious. These kind of symptoms are common during pregnancy. You can contact EPU once, they will suggest you!!

NoTeaForMe Wed 21-Nov-12 08:31:36

I phoned the midwife team this morning (don't have one assigned to me as the one at my drs surgery left!) and they have told me to phone EPU. Isn't that for serious things? Won't they think I'm wasting their time?

RooneyMara Wed 21-Nov-12 07:25:32

Sorry that was confusing - if you need to be tested for iron levels you'll need to ask for forms to take.

If you need iron, once the results come back (which tend to be fast, ie next day) GP can prescribe this over the phone and you can pick up prescription from the surgery later - that's what I did but I ended up taking Spatone from Boots anyway as the prescribed stuff made me feel a bit ill.

RooneyMara Wed 21-Nov-12 07:23:29

I'd try ringing MW for advice, or seeing her (if it's a her) but she might recommend going for a blood test, in which case you'll need to ask the GP for these I think, as it's not one of the standard dates for having routine preggo bloods done (MW can give forms for those I know)

You may not need iron, but if you do you'll need to ask at reception to put in a request with GP for forms to take with you. You shouldn't need an appointment for this but it may take half a day to organise IME.

GP may be better in another sense as they can consider other factors in your symptoms - MW might just take your BP and refer you on to GP anyway.

ProcrastinatingPanda Tue 20-Nov-12 21:06:10

Dr, they can prescribe ferrous sulphate for you.

NoTeaForMe Tue 20-Nov-12 20:27:29

Whoops! Cross post! So shall I phone the dr in the morning, get app for MW or dr? If neither possible phone the midwife team and ask them?

NoTeaForMe Tue 20-Nov-12 20:24:58

So not worth trying to see the midwife?

RooneyMara Tue 20-Nov-12 20:24:48

Yes, try to get seen tomorrow. If not there should be a number to call any time for advice, it'll be in the front page of your notes?

ProcrastinatingPanda Tue 20-Nov-12 20:05:15

Your GP can check your iron levels.

NoTeaForMe Tue 20-Nov-12 20:02:23

I have had my booking in appointment and scan, I don't have a midwife appointment until 2 weeks tomorrow, so no way of knowing if it's BP, iron or anything else. The midwife is at my dr's surgery on Wednesdays, is it worth trying to get an appointment for tomorrow afternoon or do you think there's no need?

Thanks

ProcrastinatingPanda Tue 20-Nov-12 17:06:25

I have all of those symptoms too and am 13+4, blood tests taken a few days ago showed that I have anemia. Have you had your iron checked?

RooneyMara Tue 20-Nov-12 17:02:38

I don't know, I didn't have a headache but I was pretty lightheaded around that time. I think I nearly fainted in a shop at about 15 weeks, apparently your blood pressure takes a big dip till about half way then comes back up again.

Might be worth ringing midwife to ask though x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now