Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Morning sickness and a toddler

(11 Posts)
F1rstT1meMummy Sun 18-Nov-12 07:44:35

Come and tell me about your coping tips!

Dd is 16 months and being a little monkey! I am feeling rather fragile and everything is setting me off! Including her playing with the dog food and playing with the bin!

No matter how many times I say no or move the stuff she finds it again

cupcake78 Sun 18-Nov-12 07:51:35

Mine is a manic 5yr old that just will not stop running round being noisy and wanting food. He also copies the sick noises sad

It's so extremely hard, I don't know if there are many coping mechanisms other than removing the problem. A little difficult if the problem is you dcblush.

F1rstT1meMummy Sun 18-Nov-12 08:04:54

Oh yes my dd copies my retching too! It's horrendous, seeing as I've spent the last month trying to stop her doing it before I fell pregnant blush

NAR4 Sun 18-Nov-12 14:22:49

I was very lucky with my toddler. She offers me bobbles to tie my hair back when I am sick, sometimes from her own hair. The only inconvenience is she does push down the side of the toilet to watch the sick coming out and if I don't take her to the toilet with me, she cries the whole time.

Would obviously me really nice if she could just play a bit by herself though, when I feel particularly rough. Can't have everything though.

PrimeSuspect Tue 20-Nov-12 09:17:52

Ugh it's so hard with a toddler. Mine follows me into the bathroom and asks "what's that mummy, stop it now mummy!". Poor thing is pretty much living off toast with either cheese or beans on as can't cope with cooking much else. Can't wait until this stage passes. Would love to hear how other's got through it...

BikeRunSki Tue 20-Nov-12 09:27:04

I was so sick (hyperemisis) I was in hospital and DS had to go into nursery full time (he was already there 3 days a week). I kept this up after I was home for a couple of weeks until I was feeling slightly better. I had to use savings, but I couldn't have done anything else. I was being sick 20+ times a day, was severely dehydrated and nearest granny is 200 miles away.

F1rstT1meMummy Tue 20-Nov-12 11:14:55

It's a nightmare! Seems the tv may have to put on for a few weeks. We never watch tv, only in the morning for 30 mins or so!!

PineapplePol Tue 20-Nov-12 11:37:28

Do whatever you have to do and if that means CBeebies and DVD's so be it. I was horribly sick until about 18weeks and although I avoided hospital admission, spent most of that time bed ridden with queasiness. My 4.5 year old spent a lot of time with Grandad, (who had to move in for a few weeks) understanding friends and at nursery. You need to look after yourself as in my experience the more tired you get, the more sick you will feel. It is easier said than done though and was accompanied by huge feelings of guilt at abandoning her to the care of others. I still struggle with helping my DD in the toilet. Wiping her bottom is almost guaranteed to make me sick (sorry if tmi) and is accompanied by her shouting 'mummy stop it'. When I can talk, I ask her to go and fetch me a teddy to cuddle as this makes her feel useful and gives me a bit of space. Have you spoken to your GP about it? They do vary considerably in their understanding, sympathy and response to this problem but medication might take the edge of it enough to help you function. Check out pregnancy sickness support website for other coping tips. (Sorry I've not worked out how to do links).

cupcake78 Tue 20-Nov-12 12:29:13

Go to your gp and ask for help. I'm on day two of anti sickness tablets and I tell you I feel like a new woman grin I'm still very queasy and have still be sick but I am managing to actually eat. I'm not as stuck to the sofa as before and Im actually able to do a few jobs in the house!

Go to a gp and keep going till you find one that will help. Tell them your bei g continually sick, feeling like rubbish, not able to look after your dd and that you need help. Good luck

MrsAceRimmer Tue 20-Nov-12 12:33:10

Yup cbeebies, Disney junior or DVDs are a must! It will distract the wee one while you throw up or rest on the couch. It won't harm your DC to watch a bit too much tv for the next wee while. I was quite poorly (HG, PGP, general feeling like shit) for my whole pregnancy, DS watched way too much tv and spent a lot of time with my lovely PILs who live just up the road. smile

NAR4 Tue 20-Nov-12 13:34:20

cbeebies has been a god send. I was tried on a few different anti sickness tablets, but they all had the unfortunate effect of making me really dizzy. I could only take them in the morning after the school run and then again in the evening after finishing work. Helped a bit, but still left me at least feeling very sick all the time even when I wasn't actually being sick. Think it helped keep me out of hospital though as I did keep getting dehydrated and am sure it would have been worse if the tablets hadn't prevented at least some of the vomiting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now