Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Not in labour but not sure what this is....

(8 Posts)
DyeInTheEar Sun 18-Nov-12 04:03:27

Am 38 wks and been woken up by pain in my bump. It's a constant pain and nothing I had with previous pgs - am on my 3rd pg. It's like a very sharp painful stitch in my lower bump on my right hand side. Not sure if it's because I've pulled something lying on left hand side - so weight of bump has caused muscle strain. Hurts a lot when I walk and enough to keep me awake. Anyone else had anything like this.

Didn't think I'd get surprised 3rd time round..!

McPhee Sun 18-Nov-12 04:22:26

No idea, but it sounds bloody horrible

Can you take a paracetamol?

SeymoreInOz Sun 18-Nov-12 04:34:33

I get cramp in my abdominal muscles, particularly at night, which feels fairly similar to what you're describing. If it's on the right then try lying on your right side. I'm also on pregnancy number 3 and don't remember experiencing it before! I've had cramp in my calves at night too, but not as much as I did in previous pregnancies!

crunchingautumnleaves Sun 18-Nov-12 06:58:55

Sorry I can't answer what it is, but in case it is that you've pulled something, are you using anything to support the bump when you lie down? If not, a wedge pillow is great and feeding pillows too, if you have one of them. Or if you haven't got either of these you could even try with a standard pillow or cushion. Also, shove a pillow between your thighs to help align your spine & pelvis better. May help if it's a strain of ligaments. If not, at least it'll help avoid other similar discomforts. But, in addition to all this, I'd probably call mw just to check all's well.

Sounds like round ligament pain - its bloody sore but thankfully not harmful. Paracetamol, and a pillow under your bump and between your knees as already advised. But if it becomes unbearable, I'd see a midwife/doc just to be sure, or even if you're particularly worried. x

DyeInTheEar Sun 18-Nov-12 08:30:24

So sore - and I think definitely ligament type pain too. Too much lifting unruly toddler DD2 and not enough pillow support. I've had one between my legs for SPD / groin pain but did not think about the pull of (massive) bump. The pain is just where you'd imagine the stretch would be if lying on your side. So what with leg cramps, wee visits, hips and spd - this is another "little" thing to tolerate.

I did put a hot water bottle on the pain last night but the baby wriggled so much I thought I'd probably turned my womb into a sauna so took that off. Poor bugger.

Thank you. DH said last night "shouldn't you phone the MW" and I said Nah, it's not labour so I'll check what MNetters have to say first. wink Thank you.

Runningblue Sun 18-Nov-12 09:31:11

Hi dye, I'm 39+4 and having the odd sharp niggle like this. I put a bump band on under my most supportive over bump trousers and it helps take the edge off in the day. I think I messed up something in my side from picking up heavy toddler too! Paracetamol is working at night too to take the edge off..

crunchingautumnleaves Sun 18-Nov-12 09:47:06

Also see how to use a rebozo or long shawl in pregnancy to support big bumps, especially when you're up and about. I found the relief pretty much instant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now