Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Palpitations

(9 Posts)
BonaDea Fri 16-Nov-12 12:20:41

I've been having a few palpitations over the last few days (20+2). Nothing hugely scary, just suddenly aware of my heart beating for a few seconds, then goes back to normal. It is a bit unsettling, though.

Having done a quick google, it seems this can be quite common in pregnancy (and at other times of hormone surges for women such as menopause). I'll mention it to MW on Tuesday.

But has anyone else had something similar and did it last throughout?!

Frootloopz Fri 16-Nov-12 14:33:36

Ive been having this too (20+0) ive had it a handful of times in the last fortnight or so. I saw my gp about something else and mentioned it and he is making me go for a thyroid test next week - however i dont really think thats what it is. I had read its common as there is so much extra blood in your system when pg. both recent episodes for me followed me lying on my back so i did wonder if i was lying on that artery they say is an issue and the palpitations were the blood rushing back round after?

I suppose this is a non answer really but just wanted to say you are not alone!!

photochick Fri 16-Nov-12 15:16:18

I have been getting this too (17). I have read up on it and it seems quite common. I mentioned it to the MW this week and she suggested if it came back I should see my GP but it wasn't an emergency unless you also felt unwell with it. She did not seem concerned. I would mention it though at your next appointment.

Dogsmom Fri 16-Nov-12 16:57:01

Me too smile

Mine are sometimes so strong they take my breath away, the MW told me to see my gp to have it listened too just in case but said that in all her years she had only known one lady with an underlying condition.

I'm 24 weeks and have been having them for about 6 weeks.

BonaDea Fri 16-Nov-12 17:00:00

The thought of going to my GP makes me want to weep. Last time I went I sat there for more than an hour and a half waiting for my bloody appt! angry

Mind you, guess I better get it checked out if my MW recommends.

mysterymeg Sat 17-Nov-12 06:53:24

I get them sometimes regardless but in the week before my BFP was having them 3/4 times a day. Was really starting to worry it was something more sinister.

According to GP twas all the extra blood. I haven't had any since but apparently diff points in the pregnancy can cause different surges x

ATaleOfTwoCities Sat 17-Nov-12 17:26:27

I've had this through out. No one seems worried. Although now I'm anaemic they have mentioned that could contribute. But from day one I've felt my heart thumping and palpitations, I'm just accepting it as norm, adding to the list.

Radiator1234 Sat 17-Nov-12 18:26:55

Hi there

I had palpitations in the first trimester in my first pregnancy. I also had them on into the second trimester on this pregnancy. In the first I went to the doctors and after them telling me to drink less caffeine (which I hardly drink), eventually doing an ECG etc, I went privately to a heart doctor and it was revealed I had a heart murmur. Apparently these are very common and when you are pregnant there is more blood flowing so often that's when it gets detected.

Anyway - overall upshot was nothing serious to worry about and my palpitations eventually went away (both pregnancies). Hope this is helpful.

UsedToBeAContender Sat 17-Nov-12 18:30:44

I had absolutely awful problems with my heart, especially during the 2nd trimester of my last pregnancy. I had to wear a monitor for 24 hours and they did everything but a heart scan.

Turned out I just had an extra beat or two kicking in, ie. my heart doing an extra contraction without the internal pacemaker telling it to.

Apparently lots of people have them occasionally but stress, caffeine and yes...pregnancy can make it much more noticeable! Unless there is an underlying problem it is harmless apparently.

Mine went away once I'd had the baby and now I just get them now and again like I always have. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now