Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What do I need - steriliser?

(11 Posts)
cipollina77 Sat 17-Nov-12 20:48:51

never had one and never needed one. For the odd dummies (who anyway did not get accepted by either of my DC) you can just as well boil them out in a small pot/pan. I'd say to try and see first how BF goes, you can still order or buy in any store if and when you feel the need.

happymumof2kids Sat 17-Nov-12 19:47:25

ditto - go for the microwave one..electric ones are take up precious counter top space, bulky, hard to clean and breaks down. I spent lots of money on an electric one first and then ended up throwing that away and using my cheap microwave one all the time. Loved it so definitely recommend.

I bought a fancy electric steriliser which broke after 3 months, then I saw the light and bought a cheap Asda microwave one.. faster, easier and lasted for as long as I needed it. Definitely recommend.

I planned to bf but struggled. Managed two nights in the hospital but caved at home. DH popped to the 24hr tesco as we had no milk, bottles or a steriliser and was back in 30mins.

Just wait and see if you need them Unless you live in the arse end of nowhere and couldnt get to a supermarket in decent time.

I bfed the big two and plan to again this time but I have a steriliser same reasons as others have said, I've always had bottles and a few ready mix stage one milk cartons in, just incase.

You can pick up microwave ones very cheaply, I got an electric avent one for £5 at nct sale as my TT one from the big two died.

Radiator1234 Sat 17-Nov-12 18:37:19

We had a steriliser, used it a lot, even though I bf for 6 months it was useful for dummies, bottles for the dream feed etc. however you could just buy a bottle of Milton instead and a bucket or an old ice cream tub or something. Put cold water in and some Milton, stick the bottles or dummies or whatever in, leave it for a bit and ....voila. Sterlilsed. I used the Milton a fair bit too, especially when traveling/ on holiday. Much cheaper and just as effective.

milkyjo Fri 16-Nov-12 20:10:47

I had a microwave steriliser, just like a plastic box with vent in top. This is all we needed for dummies and expressing equipment. And much quicker and smaller to store. We also used the microwave bags when away, very handy.

FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Fri 16-Nov-12 11:03:44

I'm getting a cold water steriliser. I like the fact that the bottles stay sterilised for 24 hours rather than just until you open it. I intend to BF but will have bottles and milk in the house as we don't have 24hr shops here and I don't want to have no choice at 4am one day.

PeachTown Fri 16-Nov-12 09:47:56

I BF but used an Avent microwave one for expressing equipment, etc. We were given ours fortunately.

Mothercare often has half price promotions on the big brands or you could look on eBay or at an NCT sale for one.

Squigglywiggly Fri 16-Nov-12 08:51:03

The chances are that you probably need one either way.

I exclusively breast feed but use our microwave steriliser for expressing equipment and dummies!

Hi all,

Please can I have your advice. Do I need to buy a steriliser?

I'd like to bf but don't know of its going to happen or not.

Do I need a steriliser regardless of what I do?!

Thank you!

Char xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now