Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

To what extent have you played the 'pregnancy card'?

(61 Posts)
iamwhaticallpregnant Thu 15-Nov-12 16:12:09

I am now 27 weeks and I am finally clearly visibly pregnant! I haven't really used the 'I'm pregnant' card at all yet. I was given a free ticket on the bus but don't think he knew I was pregnant. I was also offered free passage to a 30p public toilet by a lovely lady - but again, I think she was just against paying for peeing as opposed to knowing I was preggars. My partner on the other hand marches about exclaiming to people "She's pregnant!! Can she have that seat?!" or "She's pregnant, do you have any cheese that isn't unpasteurised?!" or "You're pregnant, you even touch that Ikea table and it's over!"
So, I am thinking I should start to take advantage of 'being pregnant' as I may not be in this state again. As a bit of fun, where have you used your pregnant card to either get out of something or get something for free?!

disclaimer : This is a bit of tongue in cheek fun. Please no comments along the lines of "One should not manipulate situations and use this amazing gift you have been granted to take advantage of others!"

We all know being pregnant, for the most part, sucks ass. I intend on getting a few perks out of it. Bite me.

First time I didn't use the pg card

This time I will not be lifting heavy objects, painting at 38 weeks, food shopping at 40+10, or driving past 40 weeks. I also will be handing over all toddler nighttime co sleeping from 30ish weeks as she kicks. Hard.

shinyblackgrape Fri 16-Nov-12 21:01:58

strawberries - I've done that too! Managed to calm myself down and then started again as I was worried the baby would think it was because we didn't want him.

Baby probably thinking - WTF?! hmm

NAR4 Fri 16-Nov-12 21:10:05

I'm obviously just rubbish at it.

Went to rhyme time at the library today with my toddler and as I walked towards the last adult size chair, got barged out the way by another mum. I'm 6.5 months pregnant with my 5th, so CLEARLY look pregnant. No one offered me their chair, even when the lady running it asked if I was alright and I replied that I couldn't sit on the floor due to bad SPD making it too painful.

Stood for 15 minutes until deciding the pain wasn't worth it and dragging out a reluctant toddler, who didn't want to leave early.

I really thought that at least other mums would be sympathetic. Guess not!

wanderingalbatross Fri 16-Nov-12 21:21:11

I also tell DH he can't tickle me. Except that I tickle him first, and then claim that he can't do it back because I'm pregnant. He doesn't listen sad

iamwhaticallpregnant Sat 17-Nov-12 11:01:33

NAR4 thats terrible. Rude people get on mh wick!!! I dont know if I would have had your restraint. I too have SPD so very sympathetic.

NAR4 Sat 17-Nov-12 13:17:33

Thanks iam I just couldn't be bothered to say anything. In my mind if they are that ignorant, nothing I say will make a difference.

FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Sat 17-Nov-12 13:43:47

I confess I did cry in the Thai restaurant because they had chilli sauce and curry sauce out with the buffet and I'd been dreaming about peanut sauce for days. The nice lady brought me a whole bowl for myself.

Chesterado Sat 17-Nov-12 19:37:28

Another one with the RAC but it was more to justify my own stupidity in running out of fuel!

EggsMichelle Sat 17-Nov-12 21:38:02

Those who mentioned the parent parking, twice today my friend/DH have had to move the car or help me with the door before I could get in and out of the car due to lack of space, I think if I'm on my own I will have to take advantage of the wider spaces!

Myliferocks Sat 17-Nov-12 21:40:54

I've just asked my OH whether I ever played the pregnancy card during any of my 5 pregnancies.
He said no!
He's either telling the truth or wants a shag tonight! grin

iamwhaticallpregnant Sun 18-Nov-12 22:30:13

Ha ha ha ha!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now