Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anterior placentas - movement?

(23 Posts)
BonaDea Wed 14-Nov-12 11:05:30

So, at my 20 week scan last week I was told I have an anterior plancenta (it's at the front of me, beside my belly button, instead of the back of me, near my spine). This means that there's an extra layer of padding between me and baby.

So, despite having what all MWs and 2 consultants have described as 'a very wriggly baby' I haven't felt movement yet (19+6).

Other ladies who have or have had anterior placentas - when will I FINALLY begin to feel those flutters? Am desperate for them to start!

I am pregnant with DC2 and also have an anterior placenta. I didnt have it with DC1 and I remember starting to feel movements at around 18 weeks last time. This time i didnt feel definate movements/kicks until about 24 weeks. Im now 32 weeks and still don't feel any where near as much as i did in my last pregnancy. I dont feel much during the day, its only when i lay on the sofa in the evenings that i feel lots. I can clearly see my bump changing shape and twitching now, and i can definately see it more than i can feel it if u know what i mean? I have friends at the same stage of pregnancy as me without anterior placenta who say that the baby will actually kick objects off their bumps!
Having an anterior placenta is quite annoying really, it kind of takes away/ reduces one of the best parts of pregnancy!

BonaDea Wed 14-Nov-12 11:22:47

Thanks, BBM. As it's my PFB I'm pretty gutted as I hadn't even thought that the sensations might be minimised throughout the pregnancy - I just thought it might take longer to feel it... sad

Suppose it makes sense though and given how wriggly he / she actually is, perhaps I should view it as a 'positive' as otherwise I might not get a moment's peace?! (that's me putting a brave face on it!)

I've also read that sometimes they move round (the placentas), so perhaps that will happen for us.

Unicorn007 Wed 14-Nov-12 11:26:19

I have one too. Am now 21 weeks and feeling what I can only describe as 'swirls' rather than actual kicks. Feeling it lower down about on right side mostly sort of between belly button and knicker line.
I hadn't felt anything before 20 week scan either!

sundaesundae Wed 14-Nov-12 11:26:34

I have an anterior placenta, felt movements at 18 weeks (low on my right side, was very definitely baby, didn't like the position I was in!). It was very intermittent but now at nearly 22 weeks I feel movements several times a day everyday, nothing on the outside yet, but then I am a chubber too so it doesn't help.

Everyone is different so don't worry too much. The uterus is like a balloon so if you imagine a cross drawn on a deflated balloon and it being inflated it will move as it gets bigger?

BonaDea Wed 14-Nov-12 11:29:20

Thanks, ladies. Thinking about it, the scan did say 'high anterior' and the baby is head down at the moment, so I guess that where his/her feet are is exactly where the placenta was so the biggest kicks he / she's doing at the moment are exactly where I would be less likely to feel it. Will have to jiggle around to get those feet away from the extra layer of placenta!

Chefette Wed 14-Nov-12 11:29:44

I was 22 wks, with anterior placenta, feels like "flumping"!!! Not regular at all, which is disconcerting, and not in response to anything in particular like good or cold drinks, feel it more when sitting lying back on digs quietly, or if I am hungry! Am now 25 weeks and the feelings are getting more frequent and pronounced!! It'll come don't worry!!!

Chefette Wed 14-Nov-12 11:30:36

Sorry digs should be sofa!!!

BonaDea Wed 14-Nov-12 11:32:29

Thanks all. Feel better smile.

Just looking forward to starting to really bond by feeling him or her in there!

Namely Wed 14-Nov-12 11:39:56

I was about 22 weeks when I felt definite movement. I had extra scans for a low placenta and I could see baby going wild on the screen but couldn't feel a thing! For the whole pregnancy it was very intermittent movement.

It won't be long now I promise you. I have one too, and the kicks have gone from barely there to actually quite uncomfortable over the space of two weeks. When they start to kick, they really kick!

stinkinseamonkey Wed 14-Nov-12 11:49:54

it depends, it can be anterior and to the side or a bit up or down or slap bang in the middle

I've had anterior placentas with both
with no1 I felt nothing until I felt only the very painful high or low kicks, I never relt the nice wriggley snuggly ones
with no2 I was sure it had moved because I was feeling everything, but the 20 week scan confirmed that it was still anterior

Mixxy Wed 14-Nov-12 13:42:34

Can't feel a damn thing at 27 weeks. angry

BonaDea Wed 14-Nov-12 14:01:27

Bugger! No wonder you are angry mixxy

NAR4 Wed 14-Nov-12 14:46:06

I'm pregnant with number 5 so expected to feel movement really early. Due to position of placenta I didn't feel anything until about 23 weeks and then it was only faint flutters. I'm 27 weeks now and feel really strong, clear kicks now.

My sympathy, if felt like forever before I felt movement and I was truely starting to fear the worst.

I had a posterior placenta with DS, and felt movement from 16 weeks.

With this pregnancy, I have anterior placenta, and didn't feel regular movement until about 24 weeks.

She is now, however, far more wriggly than her brother ever was. Issue is, there is still that placenta to hide behind. Even at 32 weeks, (34 on Friday), I was up at the hospital for monitoring, as despite her size, she had hidden right behind it and I felt nothing when I normally would. It is a worry, but totally normal.

Once you start having a regular pattern of movements, if it ever deviates, make sure you get yourself checked out.

BonaDea Wed 14-Nov-12 17:09:55

Urgh. I can just tell this is going to continue to worry me throughout.

It is quite weird as midwife has found heart beat very easily every fortnight since 14 weeks which I'm surprised about if anterior! Wonder if getting a doppler for home woudl just make things worse - have heard a lot of panicking happens when you can't find something!

Smallgreenone Wed 14-Nov-12 18:20:51

I had an anterior placenta and started to really feel big kicks etc after 25 weeks. Don't worry as the baby gets bigger you will feel them and some of them will even hurt so you might be thankful for the extra cushioning in the end!

duvetfan Wed 14-Nov-12 18:31:44

I didn't feel much till around 24 weeks and even then not huge amounts till perhaps 30 weeks. I didn't find out that I had an anterior placenta until I had a growth scan at 36 weeks. I kept being told he was a wriggler and was worried as I couldn't feel him. I got lovely reassurance on here and he is now 6 months and indeed very active. Sorry that was a long winded way of saying don't worry, totally normal in my experience but if you are concerned at any point, don't hesitate to go to the hospital. Best wishes for the rest of your pregnancy.

RightUpMyRue Wed 14-Nov-12 20:45:17

I started thread a couple of weeks ago (at 18 weeks, PG no.2) because I hadn't felt any definite movements and had expected to have felt something by then. A few people mentioned an anterior placenta.

I had my 20 week scan today and found out I also have an anterior placenta.

I've been feeling unmistakable movements since last week though. Normally only when I'm laid on the sofa which is often. You'll feel something soon OP, don't worry smile

ConfusedKiwi Thu 15-Nov-12 06:42:23

I've had anterior placenta's with both DS1 and current pregnancy. With DS1 I could feel 'flutters' from about 18 weeks but it took ages to feel proper movements and throughout the pregnancy it felt like there was a blind spot where I couldn't feel anything.
This time, again flutters from about 18 weeks but movements have been more obvious and I don't seem to have the blind spot although the placenta seems to be in a similar place (when my midwife tries to get the heartbeat she can pick up the whooshing sound of the placenta initially). This baby does seem to be kicking/punching at my sides more than DS1 - maybe I'm a bit more stretchy than last time :-)

PetiteRaleuse Thu 15-Nov-12 06:48:08

Soon OP. with DC1 I started to feel flutterings at 20 weeks, real movement a couple of weeks later.

DC2 was even later. At the 20 week scan I was preparing myself for the worst as I felt nothing, to be told I had a wriggler. Didn't feel regular movement other than the odd flutter until 24 weeks.

Anterior placenta both times

BonaDea Thu 15-Nov-12 09:32:11

Thanks for all the reassurance, makes me feel much better. Weird to keep seeing (and hearing) such a wriggler then to feel nothing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now