Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Progestegone in early pregnancy

(21 Posts)
cogitosum Tue 13-Nov-12 17:52:13

Does anyone know what the healthy range is for progesterone in early pregnancy?

I've just had results from blood tests. HCG is 938 which I think is good. Progesterone is 49.1 and I have no idea whether that's good or not. I only paid for tests not a consultation so can't ask.

The reason I had them done was that I had blood tests done at what I thought was 7 days post ovulation and it came up as 19 which implies I hadn't ovulated so I'm a bit concerned! (I started a thread about that in conception)

Does anyone know about progesterone levels. Google is very unhelpful!

orangeone Tue 13-Nov-12 19:35:00

Progesteone should be min 30 in early pregnancy rising to a plateau by 11 weeks or so. 49 seems ok though depends how far along you are.
Hope that helps.

orangeone Tue 13-Nov-12 19:36:39

Ps: although you had tests done 7 days post ovulation are you sure you ovulated on that day? If you're not 100% can distort results.

cogitosum Tue 13-Nov-12 19:42:12

No. It could be 4 days post ovulation at the least but 19 is still low.

I'm now 4-5 weeks. I thought 40 was the lowest which is why I was worried that 49.1 seems low.

Thank you

orangeone Tue 13-Nov-12 20:10:35

If you are worried speak to your doctor. They can prescribe Progestrone supplements (I'm on these for another few days until I reach 12 weeks) although there are mixed views on these in the uk. Low Progestrone is associated with PCOS and recurrent MC but if neither of these a

orangeone Tue 13-Nov-12 20:11:01

Sorry - if neither of these apply to you then you should be fine. Good luck!

cogitosum Tue 13-Nov-12 20:15:21

I've had one mmc and terrified of it become recurrent. I'm speaking to my gp tomorrow so will bring it up.

Thank you!

BeadyEyes Wed 14-Nov-12 07:51:09

I had mine tested at 19DPO and it was 58 - the nurse said that was 'excellent.' I would not worry.

Manda472 Wed 14-Nov-12 08:02:51

Mine was 48 on OTD and that was an ivf pregnancy and I was on progesterone pessaries. I was a little worried because my old doc liked the level to be around 100. I was told in a natural pregnancy the level would be about 25 and its the continuing pregnancy that keeps the levels up. My consultant was happy with my levels and said he would prefer that my body was able to produce its own. I was more in flap than him blush
If u are still worried have look at the fertility friends site, there's loads of ladies posting about prog levels in pregnancy and lots are natural pregnancys.
Congratulations

cogitosum Wed 14-Nov-12 14:09:03

Thank you. Feeling a bit better.

manda what does OTD stand for? Thanks

Manda472 Wed 14-Nov-12 17:24:03

Sorry it's official testing date, basically when u can test after having fertility drugs

Hi there, can I ask what units you are using? I had my progesterone tested at 4+4 and the result was 128.3 nmol/l. I think this is about 40 ng/ml. Is this ok, do you think? confused

Manda472 Sat 17-Nov-12 22:30:38

I didn't even know there were different units for testing, and I don't have my results on paper as they were read over the phone.
I think that whatever the result is we will always find something to worry over, I know I did. First I worried my hcg wasn't high enough, then my progesterone wasn't , then I was getting period pains, and the list goes on sad
My consultant said yes u can and I did, supplement progesterone but ultimately it's better if its natural. Natural levels are v low anyway and the majority of pregnant women would have no idea what there levels are.
Why did you have your's tested bery? Are you taking anything? If your comparison is right then I reckon 40 is perfect. My consultant at Argc always had us on at least 100 with pessaries and injections but my last doc was happy to stick with the pessaries on their own- he was much more relaxed about it.

Hi Manda, thanks for replying. You're right - we will always find something to worry about! I'm not taking anything; I just got my progesterone and hcg tested because I'm wary of getting my hopes up. We've been trying for a year and a half and had pretty much given up hope of things happening naturally. We were supposed to be starting ivf in January...Good luck with everything - I hope it is a smooth, boring nine months for you!

Manda472 Mon 19-Nov-12 11:58:33

Oh no bery my bump is now 20months old and currently sick with tonsillitis sad she was ivf go no 10 so totally know where u are coming from. Still find it hard to believe everything I did and went through sad
What was your hcg? Have u had it repeated? That's a good indicator of things going well, it needs to double every 48 hrs.

cogitosum Mon 19-Nov-12 12:25:11

The units mine came in were nmol/l

I think it worked out at 15.5 ng/ml so yours is much higher beryl

manda i reckon the 100 your consultant wanted you at was nmol/l

What a journey you have been through, Manda! It is so uplifting to hear stories like yours, with a well-deserved happy ending. I hope your dd gets better soon - tonsillitis is awful! I did have the hcg tested as well - at first it was 550, and a couple of days later it was 2120. So I think that is ok. Thanks cogito for explaining about the units. I feel much relieved. I've had a lot of tests in the last year or so, most of which have come back with depressing news of decrepit ovaries and the like. So it is slightly strange to get good results for a change! Not much more I can do now, but wait... <nervous>

Manda472 Mon 19-Nov-12 18:49:36

Bery what day was your test done on? That's a very high hcg, either a very strong one or......wink

shock you don't mean...twins?! grin The first test was at 4+4 and the second at 5 wks. No real symptoms yet, though (apart from sore boobs). It sounds strange to say, but morning sickness would be kind of reassuring!

Manda472 Tue 20-Nov-12 18:04:38

It does always mean twins....but my testing date hcg was 148....... And 48 hrs later 312.......
wink

cogitosum Sun 13-Jan-13 20:22:23

Just thought I'd update incase someone looking for help comes across this thread in future... I'm 14 weeks now I've had my scan and that was all good!So it seems the progesterone level that early on was not a problem!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now